Sawteeth #46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawteeth #46

I don't think I've written a trip report before. But, since this was #46 I thought I'd give it a shot.
    Left Albany with two other guys at around 7AM. Got to the parking lot around 9 AM and it was nearly full.
    We were on our way at 9:15 AM. The road walk was uneventful but quick. Reached the dam, crossed the bridge and then started the real hike. The weather was near perfect. Blue skies and cool temps.
    Decided to take the Weld Trail as this was the easiest way. One of guys with me had not hiked this year, so I didn't want to push it.
    It was a pleasant walk up with partial views through the trees. There was some Fall color, but not quite peak.
    Reached the col on the ridge and then turned left for the final half mile to reach the summit. It became a bit steeper. The rock was wet and somewhat slick. A couple of tricky spots.
    Finally reached the summit at around 12:15 PM. Had the peak to ourselves. Took the prerequisite photos and then ate lunch. Headed back down the same way we came up.
    Took the side trail to Rainbow Falls which still had good flow for this late in the year.
    Made it back to the car around 4:20 pm or so. A nice easy pace. There was no need to rush, as it was a nice day and we had plenty of time.
    Turned on the radio and had some more good news. A certain NY team had beaten a certain MA team to clinch the AL East champsionship. Yah!
    It was early, so we decided to head back to Albany and post-pone the celebratory meal until next week.

The hike was one filled with memories. From the summit, I could see Marcy which was my first high peak ... and first hike for that matter.
    I didn't really feel much different during or after the hike. It wasn't a letdown though. I was happy to have completed a goal I had set out to five years ago. It sort of felt like college graduation.

I'll keep on hiking. Probably no big peak bagging adventures - like five peaks in a day. I'll just hike what I want to hike.

Congrats on finishing Rivet. You pickec a nice mt to do it on.

Comment

Congratualation Rivet! You had a beautiful day for your finish. I'm glad you enjoyed your special day.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
      It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Congrats Rivet . I was up on Sawteeth on Saturday at 11:20 am . Sorry I
        didn't get to say hello . We hiked up the Weld trail and down the Scenic trail.
        # 18 only 28 more to go . Once again congratulations on your achievment. Tom
        South of the Border and North of the Blue Line.

Comment

Congratulations Rivet, nice job!
          https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Rivet,
            Mutual back slapping is in order!
            Congratulations! I was looking over at Sawteeth's jagged ridge wondering how you were doin'
            Got any future plans/dreams/lists etc.?

Comment

Congratulations Rivet! You probably had the mountain to yourselves, as all the other hikers in the Adirondacks were on RPR! You may not have posted a TR before, but I've seen your posts and have enjoyed and learned from them. Thanks.
              Dick
              "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Congrats on #46 Rivet!
                This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Congratulations. I chose Sawteeth to finish my winter round on. It is a nice ppeaceful place to finish. And you had a great day.
                  Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Congratualation Rivet!
                    You had a beautiful day like Neil for your last of the 46. I say you had but we had a beautiful day.
                    Yvon,
                    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
                    Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
                    Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Congratulations

I'll just hike what I want to hike.
                      I'm with you on that one - free from the tyranny of the lists! Ron
                      Last edited by Mavs00; 10-03-2005, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Congrats Rivet.......

Like I told Neil, you can chose not to hike bigs peaks, pursue lists, whatever.............. Hell, can even quit hiking altogether. But you can NEVER leave now. You're bound to these mountains forever, ain't it great.

Well done.
                        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Thanks for well-wishes everyone.

My next hike might be Saddleback to help a friend finish his 46.

I am thinking of completing the Catskill 3500. I have about 10 or so peaks left (most of those trail-less). Though, I'm not as gun-ho about finishing them as I was with the ADK 46.

Comment

Congratulations !
                            What a great day.
                            104/115

Comment

Working...
                            X