Colden's 1990 slide, UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colden's 1990 slide, UP

So, last week I saw the picture of that slide, and said, "I'm doing it." So I did.

Woke up Friday morning with ice on the car, and loking around, there was white at higher elevations. I headed from the Loj to the slide, and before too long, I hit the Feldspar Lean-to. Hmmmm. I reember someone saying that the slide didn'T meet the trail.. "Crazy", I thought. The slide came right across the trail.... Well, it DID. There was a trail re-route, and the slide is now back 50 feet from the trail. On the way from The Lean-to back to the slide, I had a good view of the slide, and it was WET. Uggh.

There had been some rain, and water was not low... Marcy Dam full and roaring over the top... On my afternoon climb of Street&Nye, Indian Pass Brook was too high to rock-hop.. it was a wade across.

So it was wet. ALso, there was fresh snow starting at around 3300 feet.

I headed up the slide anyway. INteresting Geology. There were several intrusions I noted on the way up. If I were a geologist, I could probably say more about it. Then there was that other kind of rock, with other rocks in it... Whatever it's called, when broken rocks of one type, mix with magma...

I started up the slide at 9:30, but about halfway up, I decided to stop and rest a bit. This was my logic. The longer I waited, the more the sun would dry off the slide.

It didn't dry it, but at least it warmed up the water.

That slide was steeper than I expected. Maybe if it were dryer, I would have had more choice in my route, but as things were, I ws forced straight up some rather steep sections. It was either that, or traverse that redish-brown wet slime. I don't know how slippery it was, but I didn't want to find out. I was glad I wasn't wearing my hiking boots. They neer would have rovided enough traction. My approach shoes were fine, though.

Once on the top, the rocks on the more nothern side, were all ice covered. Some spots were rather dangerous. On the way down, I met a group coming up. The conversation went like this.

"Hi. Be careful on those ice covered rocks."

"Are they slippery"

"You bet. One spot, has a slopped rock, and if you slip there, you'll slide right down into avalanche lake, just like my partner."

"Your partner fell."

"Yeah. He's probably down in Avalanche Lake now. I'm heading down to look for. I sure hope he floats."

"I have a cell phone. I'll call for help!"

"Don't bother. THey don't come for stuffed teddy bears. I tried it once."

"Your partner is a teddy bear?"

And they all moved back from me, and headed on. I'm sure I mde their morning.
    Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Teddy Bear! :p Oh tell me you had your axe with you while telling them that. This has got to be the best laugh of the day.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I've seen people with stuffed animals on their pack. Maybe they are good luck or have some sentimental reason.
      Last edited by Rivet; 10-02-2005, 02:47 PM.

Comment

it is a really nice slide. i remember when we did it it was wet and foggy all the way up.
        bushwacker
        www.adkbushwacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet
          I've seen people with stuffed animals on their pack. Maybe they are good luck or have some sentimental reason.

I had the honor of meeting Pin Pin on RPR during Neil's 46 celebration. He had 'Junior" in a water bottle tote on his waist. Definitely sentimental. The man's accomplishments are incredible, factor in that he's 54!! Amazing!
          https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by Boreal Chickadee
            Oh tell me you had your axe with you while telling them that.
            No, I didn't have my axe then, but I DID have it later that day, when I surprised the two hikers at Indian Pass Brook. They had taken off their pants to cross the brook, and here I come bopping out of the woods, ax in hand, and them, half naked
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Oh pray tell, just what part of their body did they seek to protect first? Bet it wasn't their heads!
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
              It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

That is an AWESOME story Pete. I gotta remember it. I'd love to spin that yarn......
                "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Working...
                X