• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Colden: Trap Dike and 1990 Slide

Here is a link to my recent hike up the Trap Dike and down the 1990 slide:

http://www.summitpost.org/cgi-bin/tr...report_id=2557
    --- Resident terrorist-supporting eco-freak bootlicker

Rico is that 50 foot waterfall in the dike the one where you climb up the right side of it and then have to cross over above it? As I recall, it has been better than ten years since I did it. Then you have a tricky cross over step to get beyond it? I recall in one spot above the falls you got quite wet hugging the rock and hooking your leg around a corner to gain a purchase to get by it.

Also when we got just above the falls the we exited the dike where the walls were about head high. From there it was straight up the slide and the footing was really good. It was a lot easier than it appeared.

Nice TR, great hike isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Antlerpeak
      Rico is that 50 foot waterfall in the dike the one where you climb up the right side of it and then have to cross over above it?
      That's it!

Thanx for the info about exiting when the walls are head high. That'll come in handy the next time I do it!

Comment

Nice report. How heavy was your pack? I remember, the first time I climbed the dike, my pack was kind of heavy, and the waterfall was kind of nerve-wracking. The rain didn't help either. Other climbs, I had a smaller pack, and it easy sailing.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
          How heavy was your pack?
          As you can see in the attached photo, it was just a small Camelpak... probably about 12 lbs, 7 of which was water/food. Also, look how pretty my rope looked after the bushwhack!

Comment

When the walls are head high. That's what we were told by those who went up there before us. Of course they did not say "who's head." Some of the group were over six foot and some were five foot five. We guessed it was not that critical and exited when they were about six feet. We went right onto the main slide and up. It reminded me of looking like an egg crate the way the rock was pitted. Though steep the traction was good and I don't recall any issues with it being slippery or dangerous. We had a nice sunny warm day in July it was dry and warm. That likely made all the difference, wet would have been bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlerpeak
              Though steep the traction was good and I don't recall any issues with it being slippery or dangerous. We had a nice sunny warm day in July it was dry and warm. That likely made all the difference, wet would have been bad.
              Nope. The first time I did the trap dike, with my son, it was POURING rain when we got out onto the slide (and far down, too) It was real grippy rock. Since it is wide, and gets a lot of sun, that slimy stuff doesn'T get a chance to grow.

The waterfall, on the other hand, is ugly in the rain, because it is flowing.
              Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Working...
              X