Blue Ridge - Indian Lake 1/14/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Ridge - Indian Lake 1/14/22

Today was a perfect hiking day. We managed to summit Blue Ridge before the big chill arrived. The weather to start was cloudy with a temperature of 27degrees. Parked at the Mason Lake lot and walked up Rt. 30 to Perkins Clearing. We walked to the first camping area on the R and followed the Callahan Brook Trail to the Miami River. I think I was on the trail more or less most of the way. We found some solid ice that allowed us to cross the river easily and started the whack. There was only a few inches of snow down low but it was compacted. We used snow shoes the entire trip. The start of the hike was open hardwoods with a lot of beech whippers. The climb started gradually. We took a line up the shoulder of Blue Ridge between Callahan and Freemont Brooks. The slope gradually increased but was never really steep. The woods stayed pretty open. The snow depth increased to about 12-15" with a consolidated base underneath, so we never really had to break much more than 6-8". As we passed 2500' the spruce started to increase, but we always seemed to be able to get through or around them. The trees all had an inch or two of snow on the branches which really made a beautiful sight. We finally got to the summit ridge. It was more thick with a few small cliff bands, but all very negotiable. We made our way to the western edge of the ridge to the high point. Really beautiful with the snow on the trees, but no views. The sun had finally come out and there was a brilliant blue sky. We retraced our path back and got to the car under 6hrs. Total distance was 11mile with just over 3000' of gain. Temperature had only dropped to 23 degrees so far.
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go" - T.S. Eliot

Steve
    Winter - NE111, AMC 100, Catskill 102, ADK 96/102

Awesome. I always look back fondly upon this particular Blue Ridge.
    From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

Working...
    X