Potash Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potash Mountain

We hiked Potash Mountain today. It's about a mile and a half to the top with 1,000 feet of climbing.

You start at a spacious flat gravel parking lot. A nice trail with a pretty nice view on top. It was cold today so we did it in about an hour and a half.

It has a nice rocky place on top to sit down and enjoy the view. I could see on a nice day sitting up on top and eating your lunch for about a half an hour or more just chilling on a rock.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

One mountain on my list.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

It's a shame that the DEC told Steve Mackey, who along with several others was doing much of the trail maintenance there, to stop doing that trail maintenance! So many wonderful rock steps making it a pleasure to hike. I'm sure it will get worse as time goes on. :(

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        Makwa Thanks for proofreading.

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Aren't there a bunch of trails and herdpaths that have been adopted by people who do trail work? How does that process work and who approves or declines requests to volunteer in such a manner? And why would Potash be off limits?

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know the answers to those questions Makwa I do know that Steve is very involved with maintaining the trail on Hadley and has started working on the trail to Swede Mountain.

Did you get to the summit? There's a big cairn on top and it's mostly treed-in as I recall. Not pretty nice views as you described nor a place I'd think to sit around at very long. Or did you just get to the open ledge/ viewpoint about 0.1-0.2 miles from the summit? That area has an expansive view that is quite nice.

Comment

• Bunchberry
        Bunchberry commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a picture with the summit sign in it so does that count?

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        If the sign was on top of the mountain then sure. I just couldn't tell by your description whether you actually made the summit. I was there in 2017 when the trail was just open/ flagged and not officially marked yet. The trail split off just below the summit with one trail going to the western overlook and the other going directly to the summit. I was curious if the last four years they maybe closed off the summit and just left the western overlook open and it became the end of the trail. Your description sounded more like the overlook than the summit. Potash's summit didnt strike me a place to sit around an enjoy a mostly obstructed view for any length of time whereas the overlook was exactly that.

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        Bunchberry I was there with Steve when he put that replacement sign up. You made it!
    Working...
    X