Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colvin-Blake-Colvin (Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colvin-Blake-Colvin (Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head)

July 10th, 2021

Colvin, Blake, and Colvin (Also Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head)

Maura and I were excited to continue our Empty Nesting hobby with a stay in Keene Valley and a nice hike for a couple more peaks. We made reservations for the AMR parking 2 weeks in advance and were in the lot just before 5:00 am. The morning was in the 50’s and was expected to be in the 50’s on the summit with clear skies. We pulled out our reservation and were told they didn’t need to see it. They just wanted our name. We then hiked the 0.75 miles to the trail book and were asked for our reservation , which I started to pull out again, only to be told they just needed my name. Fine by me. I have not been a fan of the need for reservations (particularly for people that aren’t parking at the AMR), but I must admit it was nice knowing I had a parking spot and it was not a hassle at all.

We headed down Lake Rd and passed the trails for the Wolfjaws, Dial and Nippletop, and Gothics/Armstrong before getting to the Gill Brook Trail towards Colvin. This may just be my favorite trail so far in the Adirondacks! There was rushing water right next to us for most of the hike with many beautiful waterfalls. The terrain climbed, but it was gentle and enjoyable.

That began to change when we broke away from Gill Brook and the climbing began in earnest. When we got to the junction for Colvin/Blake or Nippletop/Dial the climbing took on a new serious nature. There were several scrambles and we were gaining altitude quickly. We felt strong as we summited Colvin at about 8:20 am. We snacked and enjoyed beautiful cloud-free skies and the view over the Ausable Lakes, as well as the Great Range and Giant. Well worth the effort and we were pleased. We debated whether or not to do Blake because we aren’t really expecting to do all 46, but after some discussion the night before we decided to tick it off the list. We had heard and read some not too nice things about this portion of the hike, so we were ready.

We stayed positive as the drop in elevation exceeded our expectations and as the difficult descent required some careful steps on slick rocks. We stayed upbeat as the climb back up to Blake eventually led to a viewless summit without even a sign indicating it was Blakes summit. We then turned around and started back to Colvin, but I must admit my positive energy was waning as we descended back to the Col and struggled to reclaim Colvin. The descent from Colvin to the junction for Nippletop seemed to take forever as we struggled with some of the challenging obstacles.

We entertained the thought of adding Nippletop and Dial and then finishing over the Bear’s Den, but we had already taken 8+ hours for Colvin-Blake-Colvin. So we opted to head over to Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head and we were very happy with the choice as the views were spectacular. The descent from Indian Head actually had switchbacks and many steps to make it easier and we were loving it. Finally down to Lake Road we had the 4 miles back to the car to make it 16.5 for the day. That was numbers 8 and 9 for us in the last 11 months. It took us 11 hours and after a nice shower we headed up to Big Slide Brewery for some great grub and beverages.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fish Hawk Cliffs and us.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.7 KB ID:	513504 Click image for larger version  Name:	Colvin Summit 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.3 KB ID:	513505
    Starts
    07-10-2021
    Ends
    07-10-2021

Very nice! That view down the lake from Colvin is one of my favorites.
    Me - Done
    Mrs - 17/46

A trail without mud is like a day without sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Nesting Hiker View Post
      We debated whether or not to do Blake because we aren't really expecting to do all 46
      You know, I've said what you said. And I bet there are many others who have said what you've said too.

So, I'm glad you went because it'll never ever be easier than it was that day you two tagged Blake.

Don

Comment

• Empty Nesting Hiker
        Empty Nesting Hiker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Don. We were glad in the end that we won't have to think about it anymore. No "What if's".

Way to go! These types of TR’s are incredibly helpful to future hikes. Nice pics.
      Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Empty Nesting Hiker
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Gerard. I know how much I have enjoyed reading other peoples trip reports, like yours.

I appreciate the TR as this could well be my 1st hike once the border re-opens. At least I got to hike to Table Top on March 10, 2020 shortly before all hell broke loose...

Comment

• Empty Nesting Hiker
        Editing a comment
        There are many opinions, but when you add the great views from Colvin, Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head, Blake doesn't seem so bad.

• Eddie Fournier
        Eddie Fournier commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure if I'll have enough stamina for the detour to the Head on the way back, but Gil Brook sure is a treat and I know I'll have that to look for at the end.
    Working...
    X