My attempt at Sky/Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My attempt at Sky/Grey

This trip report is kinda late but was debating to post or not. Last weekend I decided to do Sky/Grey.planned on Sat but looking at weather switched to Sun. Got up early so I could get there early for parking. Going in from upper works. Got there about 5:00 after a 2 1/2 hr drive.To my surprise there was only a hand full of cars in the lot. By the way the new lot is very nice. Could of put a port a potty there though.Got on the trail quickly and started my way. I’ve done the Santanoni’s before but never been on the calamity brook trail. Loved the trail. First few miles were great,very nice and flat. Then you go up the dry creek bed with the rocks which is ok,it’s the Adirondacks.The only thing that was missing was the bugs and mud. No bugs yet! Very little mud to Colden damn. Saw 2 hikers coming out on my way to Colden damn and that’s it. Got to Colden damn and there was a couple having breakfast. Had a snack and started back on trail. There were a few people camping past the damn but not a lot. Most of the lean to’s were empty. Now the mud started,and lots of it but I think it rained the night before. Again it’s the high peaks. Got to Lake Tear and there was a group of 6 getting water. I asked them were the were going and the said Marcy. I told them I was going to grey. Had some water and a snack and looked at my watch and it was 12:00. I don’t know if it was the humidity or what but I was feeling tired. I thought to myself about 1 hr up and back to Grey then Mabel 1 1/2 hrs up and back to Skylight then 6 hr walk out puts me back at the car around 8:30. With a 2 1/2 hr ride home gets me back at 11:00. I knew it was going to be a long day going into the hike but because I hike alone with no cell service my wife worries all day when I’m gone. I do carry a garment in reach but half the time because of the canopy you have no connection. So all the way up Grey Im thinking I’m not going to get Skylight,I’m going to have to orphan. Skylight,I’m going to have to come back for it. By the way the rock scrambles up grey,there are paths to go around them which I read on a few trip reports. By the time I got to to the top I was so disappointed I tagged the sign and left. Didn’t even get any pictures. Got back to the lake and sat there for a few minutes and knowing how worried my wife would be headed out! On the way out met a couple of ladies going in and they asked if I had came up this trail. I said yes and the said then you know about the bog. I asked what and they said the floating logs are floating and it’s impassable. I said thanks and started down the trail.Don’t know how true that is so if any one knows? Still mumbling to myself that I left Skylight I started thinking I did get to see everything I wanted,Henderso monument,Flowed lands,Colden damn,Lake tear.So I guess it could be considered a good day. I may do Marcy/skylight together. I’ll have to see. I think I fall in that category of a slow hiker from the other thread that was started. Thanks for listening.

You may not have met your original goals, but I absolutely agree that you can consider that a good day.

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess I’m lucky I can still get out there and enjoy. The mountains aren’t going anywhere any time soon. Just might not be able to get to them because of parking restrictions. I had to through that in.

I've been in your situation before (wanting to change plans but doing so would unnecessarily worry my spouse) - but no longer, thanks to my garmin mini.

Perhaps you could use your garmin to send messages to your spouse. I have a plan that allows to send unlimited pre-determined messages. It's one of the cheapest plans (ex. does not include real-time tracking). You can program 3 messages, but you need to do that before you go. In my case, I use "everything's fine", "everything's fine but it's taking longer than expected" and "I have a problem - I'm activating the emergency function". As an added bonus, each time you send one these, which I try to do each hour, it attaches your position so your spouse can actually follow your progress.

Your spouse can also reply to your messages, but you'll get an extra charge for that - still could be worth it though.

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I do but a lot of times I have to wait to get a satellite signal.

• Eddie Fournier
      Eddie Fournier commented
      Editing a comment
      you probably know this already, but you don't need to wait - the message will go out eventually when the device gets a fix (usually within 10 minutes from my experience)

You did OK. It's not easy getting Sky and Grey from Upper Works.

Though it seems counterintuitive I find it easier to tag Sky and Gray from HPIC even when going over Marcy twice. I don't care to deal with the bog the people you ran into talked about.

I was out with others Saturday being company for a friend doing a first round. We climbed Marshall and I have to say there was lots of water from several days rain. There was also at least and hour of rain on us - we were soaked to the bone and chilled.

The people that talked about the bog. It's on route if you arrive from HPIC via the Lake Arnold trail. The bog can be an adventure. I call it the bobbing bog bridges. You might not fall but can still be knee deep in water.

Next time I think an over an back via Marcy is not so bad...the climb to Sky is about the same miles as from Upper Works.

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 07-05-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m thinking of doing Marcy/Sky together from Hpic.

Hey... at least you got one. And you had a big mile day out in the mountains. All in all sounds like a winner. Aborting Skylight sucks but you didn't come away empty handed

I'm puzzled by your Garmin In Reach story though. I have a Garmin GPS and have never had satellite reception problems under the canopy. Does the In Reach model have issues with this? And no reception by Lake Tear or atop Gray? Seems like you should have been able to get a message out. Do you have some agreement or plan in place with your wife as to how often you attempt to send out a message? For both of your sakes try to hammer that out so you're not worrying about each other while you hike. Sending a pre-programmed "OK" out every half hour or hour should be enough for your wife to track you and give her some peace of mind while you are out I would think.

And just a suggestion for the end of the night scenario... don't ever worry about what time you're gonna get home... it makes the walk back to your car miserable thinking about it. I know it was a long day but once you're safe back at the trailhead and you notify loved ones you are done with your hike you can start worrying about that stuff. If you're tired... take a nap in the car before you leave or catch some zzz's at a rest area on the way home. I have had some miserable long rides home over the years. The one from Cranberry Lake to Albany on snowy/icy roads in winter that took 4 hours was mentally exhausting but what can you do? You gotta drive home, right? Whether you get home at 11:00 p.m., midnight, or 1 a.m. you're still back home. Enjoy your time out on the trails and try to put that other stuff out of your mind until you have to. I know... it's hard to do while hiking solo with a gazillion thoughts running through your mind but if you can find a way you'll have a better time.
    Last edited by Makwa; 07-05-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks,that’s good advice. I never thought of just checking in at certain intervals. I have the in reach mini. I don’t know if there are certain problems with it but there are times when it took a while for my message to get out.

There is no way I could day hike those peaks and actually enjoy the hike. I backpack into Colden and go from there.

Did you enjoy the Opalescent River? That series of falls is the so beautiful.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Ud56
      Ud56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did enjoy the hike. Very nice trails. I guess I was just having a bad day. Heck even pro athletes have a bad game once in a while so I’ll just chalk it up to that. Getting 4 hrs sleep doesn’t help either. But I’ve done 18 milers before so I guess it was just a bad game!

Peak or no peak, it's always a good day when you get out and enjoy nature and get some exercise. You did good !
    I've turned around many times and got no peaks. It's ok.
    115/115 Yippeeee!

Comment

Same here on turning back. No one knows that better than myself. Three times up the Beaver Meadow Falls trail and three fails. Fourth and long, next time.
      Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

If you're slower, you should think about camping for some of these longer trips. I helped a neighbor last year with Cliff/Redfield, Skylight/Gray over a weekend, camping at Uphill LT. Breaks it up in to smaller, more manageable chunks.

Comment

• Ud56
          Ud56 commented
          Editing a comment
          Staying over is not an option unfortunately.
      Working...
      X