No announcement yet.

That's It and That's That!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your 46! Took me three tries to get the Santanoni range too, though Santa was my nemesis as I grabbed Couchie first.

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
      Fat Man Hiking commented
      Editing a comment
      Of all the unnecessary peaks to orphan I had to pick that one. Interesting that you got Couch first out of the three when you have to practically walk right by either of the other two to get there. Was it an "eat your vegetables first and save the steak for last" moment?

Did you do them all as day hikes? I had to camp for several (or, perhaps chose to): Gray, Skylight, Cliff, Redfield (3 nights for the group), Allen (2 nights), Seward, Colden, and my second time up Dix.
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
      Fat Man Hiking commented
      Editing a comment
      Overnights for:
      Allen
      Colvin, Blake, Nippletop
      Haystack
      Basin, Saddleback
      Redfield, Gray, Skylight, Marcy (2nd time on Marcy)

The rest were day hikes.

I especially liked the title.

And congratulations too.

And hopefully many more hikes ahead for you.

Don

Comment

Congratulations, FMH! I'm late to the party but wanted to send you much deserved kudos.

I've enjoyed your trip reports over the years and am glad that you gave hiking another chance. But your bike trip sounds great, so have fun with whatever you do. Hope we get to read more trip reports from you now and then.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
      Fat Man Hiking commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Seven years chasing this and never gave a thought to after. Definitely more mountains though.

Fat Man Hiking Not sure if you have an ADKForum account. There is a question about ascending Whiteface from the ski area (From Little Whiteface, where the Gondola goes to). Since you were there recently your info would probably be appreciated.

I assume the party can find their way to the highest chairlift. My memory from downclimbing from the summit that way is that when we arrived at the summit chair the trail from the summit ended. From there we descended to the Ski Area Base Lodge on ski trails. The only other thing is to climb, not to contour as there is contouring trail for skiers to get to the slides.

Comment

My goodness, you finished! You take as long as you want with that great TR. congrats on an incredible journey. 310 pounds on your first hike? Remarkable. I was 285 for my first. Great job, losing all that weight. I hope when I finish, I look as good. With 36 to go, I’m afraid finishing by 60 for me is a distant reality. I don’t have the time to hike as much during the Summer. I manage about 6 weekends per year, during the Summer. I’ll need to get into better shape to hoof it. There’s a chance of early retirement by 62. If things are good, I might be able to finish by age 65.
      Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
        Fat Man Hiking commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind words. I don't get the opportunity to go play in the hills as much as I would like either. I'm self-employed and that whole thing about working when you want to is a myth.

No doubt you'll get there. Unfortunately the older we get the harder it is to take the weight off and keep it off. The bulk of the weight I lost was in the past two years when I counted every calorie and aimed for a 500-700 calorie deficit each day. I also really enjoy my bicycles and ride the wheels off them nearly every day.

• Gerard01
        Gerard01 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m doing Noom. It’s working pretty well, as I’m learning how to eat. My knee is starting to feel a bit better. I’m hoping as I get older, I can keep hiking. I haven’t given up on the 46, but with all the mishaps that I’ve had and disappointing those who have hiked with me, I want to make sure that if I ever have to turn back on a hike, it’s because of factors other than my lack of conditioning.

Fat Man Hiking is now Fit Man Hiking !
      Congratulations on finishing the 46. The challenges we face on the "46 journey" and what we learn about ourselves is priceless.
      Maine and New Hampshire are nice. What the heck !
      115/115 Yippeeee!

Comment

• Fat Man Hiking
        Fat Man Hiking commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha....... If only Maine and NH were a little closer.
    Working...
    X