Bear Den Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Den Mountain

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3504.JPG Views:	32 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	508642I had a mid-week day off, on purpose, to avoid the crowds. While I wait for the High Peaks to become less crowded, I want to work on my endurance and strength so when I can hike the high peaks, I will be somewhat ready.

My wife and I decided on Bear Den Mountain today. It was actually our plan-b as we originally were planning to hike Cobble Hill Lookout. However, when we arrived at the trailhead for Cobble Hill, signage stated the trail is closed, due to COVID. Not sure the story on that, but will look into it.

We arrived at the trailhead for Bear Den Mountain around 7:30 am. It was a bit of a challenge finding the actual trailhead and sign in, but with the help of a construction worker, we were able to locate it. It is on the north side of the parking lot but is elusive as the signage is poor.

We eventually found the register and we soon signed in and were on our way. The trail starts out easily enough. It is worth noting the trail is a shared trail with mountain bikes for a little way, about 6/10ths of a mile (just passed the second marked intersection). You will know when because the signs will point you towards Bear Den Mountain, and you soon leave the shared trail and begin to climb.

The trail is easy enough to follow and is well marked. It looks like there has been a fair amount of foot traffic on the trail as it shows the stresses of heavy use. I suspect that there is a large influx on the lesser trails as people try to avoid the crowded more popular trails. Bear Den is one of those overlooked trails and is quite beautiful and rewarding.

We follow along a stream on our right for about 4/10the of a mile as we meander up, eventually veering away from it as the trail begins to switchback upward. The last half-mile or so of the trail moderately steepens and is slippery until you top out on the col below Bear Den Mountain.

From the col it is about a tenth of a mile before you come to the rocky outcropping of the summit of Bear Den, don’t be fooled thinking the first view is the summit. Keep following the trail, as you will come out again on a second outcropping. The trail eventually fizzles out from here. The views are quite spectacular and there is plenty of space to layout on the rocks and enjoy the views. We enjoyed the peak for about a half-hour before we made our way back down.

I logged 4.5 miles round trip

Ascent 1300 Feet

More photos
    Last edited by Craig; 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed misleading sentence.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Bear Den is a nice hike. I suspect the increase in usage is because the mountain is part of the Lake Placid 9er Challenge which is relatively new. A few years back it was near impossible to find any info on the trail now everybody is hiking there.

info on Cobble Hill closure here.... https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...ns-closed.html
    There are alternate ways into the trail system if you park on the main road rather than at the trailhead at Northwood School.

Comment

Hi Craig,
      Bear Den is also easily reached from the Flume Trailhead. The Flume Knob Trail ascends on the other side of the brook you followed for .4 miles, so getting to the Bear Den Trail just requires starting out following the Flume Knob signs and staying on the more level trail to the left when the Flume Knob Trail begins to ascend steeply. There's a good deal of signage at that point. One of the signs mentions Whiteface or Bear Den, I forget which.

As for the Whiteface sign in the notch, it is asinine, misleading, and should be removed by vigilante action if no one else does it. Bear Den Mountain is not an actual mountain. It's just a spur on a ridge that's part of Whiteface Mountain. So it's meaningless to have a directional sign pointing the way to where one already is. If what they mean is the Whiteface ski operation, they should say this. A few weeks ago I rescued seven hikers who believed they were on the way to the Whiteface summit because someone who had seen that sign told them it was the right way.

I don't know if you noticed this, but there is a distinct herd path that goes right from the notch. It reaches a higher set of cliffs and ledges which you surely saw from Bear Den. Check your pics. They appear in one shot through the trees.

Comment

Nice photos.

Comment

• Craig
          Craig commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
        info on Cobble Hill closure here.... https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...ns-closed.html
        There are alternate ways into the trail system if you park on the main road rather than at the trailhead at Northwood School.
        Thank you, I found this afterward, also.
        If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
          Hi Craig,
          Bear Den is also easily reached from the Flume Trailhead. The Flume Knob Trail ascends on the other side of the brook you followed for .4 miles, so getting to the Bear Den Trail just requires starting out following the Flume Knob signs and staying on the more level trail to the left when the Flume Knob Trail begins to ascend steeply. There's a good deal of signage at that point. One of the signs mentions Whiteface or Bear Den, I forget which.

As for the Whiteface sign in the notch, it is asinine, misleading, and should be removed by vigilante action if no one else does it. Bear Den Mountain is not an actual mountain. It's just a spur on a ridge that's part of Whiteface Mountain. So it's meaningless to have a directional sign pointing the way to where one already is. If what they mean is the Whiteface ski operation, they should say this. A few weeks ago I rescued seven hikers who believed they were on the way to the Whiteface summit because someone who had seen that sign told them it was the right way.

I don't know if you noticed this, but there is a distinct herd path that goes right from the notch. It reaches a higher set of cliffs and ledges which you surely saw from Bear Den. Check your pics. They appear in one shot through the trees.
          I was wondering that as there is no trail to WF from there, misleading for sure. I'll adjust my narrative.

I didn't notice, I assume you mean this shot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3521.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	508653
          I am intrigued by it if so.

Comment

I think you are looking at this location:

http://www.adirondackrock.com/map.ht...87211322784425

Lots of rock; mostly slab; I have not explored this because it's too long of an approach with a climbing pack to be worthwhile for climbing.

But certainly scenic.

Comment

• Gregory Karl
              Gregory Karl commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. That's the spot. I've been up there a number of times, once just for blueberries.

I took some non hikers up Bear Den on July 4th. I love the close up views of Whiteface.

Comment

Yes Craig, those are the ones.

There is a decent semi-bushwhack ascent starting with those cliffs. I followed the gently ascending ledges til the open rock ended, then scooped left around the slope into a glade ski run. I ascended that to the Wilmington ski trail. Then ascended the Wilmington Trail to a N exit from the lift area. A short bit N of there I met and joined the trail from the reservoir not far from the Wilmington Curve. (I found it an ugly route, what with all the development, scarred slopes and machinery, but it was different.)

But the route I described can't be what the sign maker had in mind. I turned back the seven hikers rather than recommending that route because none of them had a good map or gave evidence of being able to read one proficiently, none had a compass, and they were without headlamps. Seems they started out from the reservoir but took a wrong turn toward the Flume. Undeterred by the plummeting elevation they were delighted to find the Upper Whiteface Connector Trail, part of the Flume System. Just to make sure they were on the right track, they asked someone returning from Bear Den for confirmation. That person had seen the misleading sign in the notch and told them that they were indeed right on course. It was early afternoon by then and they would have had the semi-whack ascent ahead of them, followed by the six mile return to the reservoir. I didn't see them getting back by dark, so I encouraged them to just enjoy Bear Den for the day and maybe check out Marble Mountain on the way back.
              Last edited by Gregory Karl; 09-02-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I just learned about Bear Den near Whiteface.
                Previously I knew only about Bear Den near Nippletop.

Comment

I was on Bear Den last month (great hike) and also wondered about the Whiteface sign in the notch. Another hiker asked me about it while we were enjoying the view from Bear Den. I am glad I said there was no trail I was aware of, and that the pitch directly above the notch looked quite challenging.

Comment

Working...
                  X