Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SawPyGo

Hot. Humid. Incredible views.

Hiked Sawteeth via Scenic Trail, then up Pyramid to Gothics, return via BMF trail. Had never been up Pyramid...that is a haul, but man what a view! Clouds thankfully came in while on Gothics so we did not fry. Rationed water but ran dry halfway down BMF trail. Found the 'old faithful' cascade just inside of the property line and enjoyed 30 minutes of cold water, inside and out before the long slog out. Did I mention that Lake Rd is a slog? Man I hate that road, even more so when vehicles pass you by... All good though. Marcy Burger on deck of Ausable Inn and Bg Slide IPA made for a nice wrap to the day.

Pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BMF.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	507544
    Beaver Meadow Falls

Name:	Lower Ausable from Lookout.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	507545
    Lower Ausable Lake from low on scenic trail

Name:	Gothics from Sawteeh.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	507546
    SB and Pyramid/Gothics from Sawteeth

Name:	Pyramid view.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	507547
    Ahh...UGR from Pyramid.

Name:	Gothics view.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	507548
    View from Gothics

Nice i am planning on sound Sawteeth when I get a chance. The bridge at lower Ausable Lake is still closed correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Rmxfiles View Post
      Nice i am planning on sound Sawteeth when I get a chance. The bridge at lower Ausable Lake is still closed correct?
      Correct. Well-marked detour on the trail that leads from Lake rd to BMF. Then up the West River trail along left bank of Ausable to the lake. Rock-hopping would have been fine below dam if we had gone there. Bridge is only new piers right now, so not sure when it will be completed.

Comment

Pyramid really has some fine views. Over the years it has been a great place to watch the burn area on Bear Den grow in.

I dont think I could have handled the heat. Kudos to you for sticking it out on such a hot day. All that exposure makes it impossible to hide from the sun, and there is quite a bit of it on that Pyr-Go route as you are now fully aware.
        Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
          Pyramid really has some fine views. Over the years it has been a great place to watch the burn area on Bear Den grow in.

I dont think I could have handled the heat. Kudos to you for sticking it out on such a hot day. All that exposure makes it impossible to hide from the sun, and there is quite a bit of it on that Pyr-Go route as you are now fully aware.
          Thanks. We hid from it for much of the time up Sawteeth, and sat on the downed tree at the summit that was in shade. But once we started heading to Pyramid and Gothics, it was pretty merciless. Thankfully the clouds kept rolling by for some relief, and there was just enough breeze to keep bugs away and cool things a teeny bit. Didn't put any additional water into our water bottles though. 3 liters, minimum, needed for that hike (as well as the others in that area), plus a pump for when you get back to water and still have The Slog left. In retrospect, a good move would have been to over-hydrate before leaving LA Lake, then pump bottles full there. Live and learn!

Comment

Did you park At the Amr parking lot was wondering how full it was, unfortunately because of my work I can usually only go on the weekends and I know it’s much busier then.

Comment

Did you park At the Amr parking lot was wondering how full it was, unfortunately because of my work I can usually only go on the weekends and I know it’s much busier then.
              Yes, we did. It had about 6 spaces left when I arrived at 6:15 am; was full when I returned. That was a Thursday. I think ion weekend you'd need to be there by 5:30 to get a spot there or across the street at Roaring Brook.

Hopefully they will bring the AMR capacity back up to normal, though even that requires an early arrival.

Comment

Yeah I figured I would need to be there around that time I have never parked at roaring brook how many spots are there?

Comment

Yeah I figured I would need to be there around that time I have never parked at roaring brook how many spots are there?
                  Not sure. Looks similar in size to the current, reduced AMR lot

Comment

Yeah hopefully I will find a spot somewhere I plan on going this Saturday

Comment

Working...
                    X