AVLALACO hike and paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVLALACO hike and paddle

After my wonderful paddle on Henderson Lake 2 years ago, I was determined to explore more high mountain lakes with the trusty Hornbeck. Tops on the list were Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden. Today was the day.

Arrived at Loj lot around 7:30- plenty of space. No one wearing masks, but people keeping distance for the most part. Hooked the boat to the Kelty pack/carrier setup and off I went by 8:15 or so. Weather was damp, but I knew it would improve, so I took my time. Trails in great shape, even with rains of previous day. Impressive stringer work near and at the top of Avalanche Pass made for easy walking. Got to the shore by 9:45, and was greeted by whitecaps.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2312.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.9 KB ID:	507207

Stiff SW wind was howling through the pass, so I hugged the W shore to stay in the lee for most of it. The new Hitch Up Matilda work looks great, and the Trap Dike looked Mordor-like as always. Lots of water coming down it, so I would not recommend trying it for a few days.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2341.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	507208

Disembarked at S end of the lake- a sizable beaver dam there has pushed the lake level up a good foot, which helped with launching on the N end and made easy take-out. Tossed the boat over my shoulder for the hoof to Lake Colden. I opted for the Outpost side, which ended up being longer than had I gone via the Colden/Marcy trail. Lots of new trailwork going on near Avalanche Lake end of the trail, which will be nice when done.

Popped into the boat at the Outpost and circled the lake.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2326.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	507209

Sad to see the Cedar Point leanto gone. Anyone know what is happening there? What a pretty spot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2333.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.5 KB ID:	507210
    I see The Tooth!!!

Got back on land after exploring the lake, and took the Colden/Marcy trail from where it last hits the lake on the NE side.
    Floated with the wind under the Trap Dike and the huge cliffs of Colden back on Avalanche Lake.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2342.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	507211
    What an amazing place!

Braved pretty big waves to ferry over to the put-in and my pack, loaded up, and then went non-stop back to Loj. Man, that last "mile" from the Algonquin junction always kills me...

All in all a pretty terrific day in the woods and on waters I had never paddled before. Always fun to try something new, even after having traipsed around all these peaks for many years.

Gaped at the view from the end of the Loj road (never gets old) before hitting the road.

Neat way to explore the mountains!

Comment

you are my hero!!! this is a bucket list item for me for sure. I have had a Hornbeck for almost 6 years, but I only managed to carry it to Boreas ponds so far. I have seen the kelty set-up and may go for it. what was the overall distance on feet? like 10 miles or so?
      46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

I think this is awesome cool. Congratulations. The cliffs must be spectacular from in a boat. I've been on the Lower Ausable Lake many times and always the cliffs blew me away.

Comment

2505 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, and they were impressive. Just imagining the chaos that the spring melt or when avalanches come ripping down in the winter was wild.
          ]
          Was lucky to get on Lower Ausable ad few years ago in a guideboat...that was a dream come true.

Originally posted by YanaLG View Post
        you are my hero!!! this is a bucket list item for me for sure. I have had a Hornbeck for almost 6 years, but I only managed to carry it to Boreas ponds so far. I have seen the kelty set-up and may go for it. what was the overall distance on feet? like 10 miles or so?
        To Avalanche Lk it is just about 5 mi, then to Lake Colden around .5 if you go the Colden/Marcy trail route, .7 if you go to interior outpost. I'd say 11-12 mi is a safe bet. The Kelty setup was perfect but not needed for the carry to LC, so I stashed it by the ranger's boat on AL.

Well worth it, and would do it again in a second. Would love for a calm day to just lounge in the boat.

Henderson Lake to Preston Ponds is next in my sights.

Comment

• TUTpaddler
          TUTpaddler commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's get another set-up and go together...

Amazing!

Comment

Cedar Point lean-to was totally nonconforming. It had been for years and it was long past due to get it out of there. So we did. Its been relocated.

Nice paddle trip. Looks like you got a good day for it. Great pics.
          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

2505 commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense. Where is it now? Is the one on the point next to it (to the west) also going to go, or is it ok?

Thanks- it was a great day. Started out damp but true to form, "rain before 7, quits before 11" and things kept getting nicer as the day wore on.

• Commissionpoint
            Commissionpoint commented
            Editing a comment
            its all going further up the hill away from the shoreline.
        Working...
        X