Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    Hiked Bear Den with wife and friends before lunch.

Leave a comment:

• Gerard01
    commented on 's reply
    Happy 4th!!

• Gerard01
    commented on 's reply
    As soon as I finished, I hit Mcdonalds for two well deserved Big Macs.

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    Good morning and HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!

I'm in LP this weekend. It’s a beautiful day, which I started with a wake-up hike up Cobble Hill. Last July 3rd was my first high peak and today was my first LP9.

Enjoy your weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    Oh yeah, I also saw a sharp shinned hawk pretty close. It was screeching and flew off before I could take a picture. Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    McKenzie doesn't get enough credit for being a tough hike. Great mountain though. If you ever go back do the loop via the SOA trail system and add Moose onto your day. That is quite a nice hike.

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    6/22/2020

i drove up and hiked Haystack Mountain and McKenzie via the Jackrabbit trail. Took me just over an hour to reach Haystack summit, it wasn’t difficult. Mckenzie was legit; probably my favorite 6’er so far. Steep climbs, rock scrambles, a false summit and fantastic views from several lookouts. Sweated buckets and this was my first hike this year with lots of black flies.
    My legs didn’t want me to tackle St. Regis, I guess that will have to wait.

Leave a comment:

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    6/13/20

Hiked the Fulton Chain Trifecta today. Nice cool day, absolutely no bugs. The best part about it was that the whole family joined me. (Wife doesn’t like difficult hikes, both boys work various hours, one is heading off to college, one is enlisting). Restaurants were open so a nice post hike meal worked out well.

My plan is to complete the Saranac 6’er challenge and start the LP 9’er challenge before continuing my 46.

Leave a comment:

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    6/7/20
    What a perfect morning for an ADK hike! Hiked up Baker and then immediately drove to Scarface. Saw lots of deer this morning. Scarface was a nice little workout. Bugs were minimal.

Leave a comment:

• Not_Built_For_Speed
    replied
    The Facebook page for the Fulton Chain Trifecta has updated their profile. It’s their patch still but the words over it “on pause until further notice” have been removed.

Leave a comment:

• tcd
    commented on 's reply
    And here's more:

https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...ess#post863068

• tcd
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry, I will try to be more clear:

>There is social health and physical health harm from the coronavirus.

>There is social and physical health harm from shutting down the economy.

Pretending that neither of these is true is naive. And characterizing "caring about the social and physical health harm from shutting down the economy" as "only being concerned about money" is disingenuous.

The balance required is to minimize total harm. Bashing each other with statements like "You don't care about the economy, you only want to keep things shut down" or "You don't care about the virus, you only want to start thing back up" is relatively unproductive. But that's what most politicians are doing.

• CatskillKev
    commented on 's reply
    But you also say that the honest politicians are saying the same thing, economy vs. health. So I'm confused.

The honest ones are saying it more diplomatically? Is that the difference?

• tcd
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, that's about right. Politicians of all stripes are using the crisis to bash each other.

Only the few rare honest politicians are saying "Hey, this is a difficult balancing act, and we want to walk the fine line that minimizes the harm from unemployment and bankruptcy and also minimizes the harm from the virus."

Painting this as "health vs. the economy" is a false narrative, just used by politicians to bash each other.

• CatskillKev
    commented on 's reply
    You mean the political component? Where supposedly Democrats want to make Republicans look bad by making the economy worse, and then blaming the Republicans for it. Pretty strange how that could work. Since it would be actually Democrats causing it. Its kind of confusing to me, but I do know that the President seems to have some troubling inclinations. So maybe these people know how things work, more than I do.

Or is that just the checks and balances of a two party system? The Republicans push for the economy, and the Democrats push for the health, but they're in reality both wanting the same thing?

I've seen both Trump and Cuomo accused of closing things too late, as far as that goes.

Even though China has been laying low on reporting covid-19 for a couple of months, they are now locking down 100 million people. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...z&ocid=ieslice
    Last edited by CatskillKev; 05-20-2020, 12:29 PM.
Working...
X