Cuomo turned me into a peakbagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuomo turned me into a peakbagger

Haven't been able to go to work, haven’t been able to go to the gym, just hiking flat ground and running the stairs in my house. This had me rethinking my summer hiking plans. I figured I might need to hit some lower peaks to make sure I’m conditioned enough. (Can’t call them “lesser peaks” because that denotes quality, and I can’t do that.)
    So with all this time on my hands, I’ve been looking at trail maps, and learning about the other challenges. So my plan changed to “Let me do the Fulton Chain Trifecta, Tupper Lake Triad and Saranac 6’er before I do any big hikes. Hey, anything to see more of the ‘Daks is a good thing!
    So I went to bed early last night and set my alarm for 3am. Of course, I was like a kid on Christmas and woke up even earlier. Coffee, yogurt and blueberry waffles and off I went.

I hiked Coney first, the views would have been nice but the summit was clouded over. But I’ll tell ya, that cool moist, piney odor of an ADK morning, THAT WAS NICE! Next was Goodman. Again, no views, but there were no other hikers on these trails and no black flies. I was back at the truck at 8:20...wait...just Mt. Arab, I’ll be done too early! I gotta make the most of my day trip. Stopped at Stewart’s for a snack and headed EAST. I got the last spot at the Ampersand trailhead, everybody else would have to use the shoulder. What a nice trail. It crossed several cute brooks before getting steeper. HOLY STONE STAIRWAY! There was some ice towards the top but it was passable on hiking boots. Spikes would have been useful but not necessary. This trail tired out my legs. But I had to get Arab TODAY. So I did. That’s where the black flies were hiding. I made it to the summit and there were a lot of ppl on this trail. Many of them were climbing the fire tower. I didn’t stay long, I wanted to get a pre-dinner nap in.

My health app app says I climbed 12.4 miles and the equivalence of 281 stories. Good night!

You're right on with 12.4 miles. But you're short-changing yourself on ele gain. Assuming 10' per story you're at 2800' total using your app. Those 4 mountains are actually around 3600' total.

Unless you hit Arab first thing in the morning there's always a crowd.

What's your plan for McKenzie & Haystack? Separate days or same? If same, main trail or herdpath back door from Jackrabbit Trail?

And I believe the Fulton Chain Trifecta is on pause right now. Might want to check before you go. Would stink putting in the paperwork only to have it rejected.

Comment

I’m thinking together, from jackrabbit.

So...when will the breweries be open? I want to earn my adk6pack patch.

Edit: maybe the iPhone measures a “floor” at 13’.

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        I think anything counts as a visit in that challenge. As per rules... "Challenge does not require purchase or drink at brewery."

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Makwa good point. Its cool that they phrased it that way too. There are some people in the list-hiking community who have certain "limitations" that would have excluded them from participating in the ADK6Pack if alcohol was a mandatory part of it.

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        I really enjoyed that challenge. Forced me out of my post-hike routine a bit and out to places I've driven by but never stopped in. Liked all of the breweries. All are worth a stop whether you are working the challenge list or not.

That stone stairway is a great butt sliding chute in the winter.
      If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

People are not supposed to be climbing fire towers. I let Scott VanLear know and he said he'd pass that along to the Rangers in the area...
        #8335W, Solo Winter 46
        ADK Grid 309/552
        Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
        ADK Quest #119
        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• nickUSA
          nickUSA commented
          Editing a comment
          Two pieces of flimsy yellow tape are not going to prevent people from climbing fire towers - that's the reality of the situation.

I was wondering about that. Since we don’t have to hike locally anymore, the firetowers and the fire tower challenge should be back on.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Only a few regions of the state are into the first step of a phased reopening. The rest of the state is still under a Stay at Home order until 6/13. Has the hike locally request been rescinded?

• ADKJack
          ADKJack commented
          Editing a comment
          All the towers are still closed, social distancing in 7’x7’ cab is pretty difficult. Handrails can not be disinfected between climbers.

Mohawk Valley (which includes northern Herkimer county) and the north country met all 7/7 criteria. I thought that meant phase 1 could start there, which included outdoor recreational activities, such as “fishing and tennis”. I assume hiking is included in outdoor recreational activities. To me, this means the trails are open to all. Fire Towers in the Adks should be open, hiking challenges should be recognized. Anything less represents abuse of authority on someone’s part.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          The hiking trails never closed. They have been open all along. The request was to hike locally. I assume that is still in effect for those regions that remain under the Stay at Home order - not drive all over the state to the regions that have begun reopening. I could be wrong. Maybe somebody in the know could provide some guidance on this. But... people can do whatever they please. I'm not gonna tell anybody what to do. I'm just sharing my interpretation.

As far as the challenges go. These are sponsored and run by local towns, various organizations, and even individuals. They can make whatever rules they choose. They can shut them down without notice if they so desire. You can argue your points with them but I think you're at their mercy right now. And there's no higher authority to appeal to as there's no central governing body telling them to shut them down or keep them open or whatever. I would say patience is the only option right now.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Trails haven’t closed but some trailhead access roads around the state reportedly have. Maybe somebody can clarify...?

I know that as recently as last week many patch-bearing hike organizations have been saying that they won’t recognize hikes completed during the quarantine. I’ll keep my opinions about that to myself (for once), so anyone contemplating the NPT, NE 111, NH 48, AT, etc will have to deal with those interruptions... somehow.

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          I doubt ADK Glens Falls would restart Fire Towers until all the main ADK operation is back open (I.e., JBL, ADK Loj, etc.).
          I know Albany ADK has cancelled all June outings. So that's one indication that (wait and see) July 1 is the next check point.

Good morning. I’m sorry I let my frustrations show in previous posts. I respect this forum in how it tries to avoid political discussions. The title was used for humor, not to stir people up.

I acknowledge that these challenge organizers can do what they want, I have no protected right to have hikes recognized by them. And I suppose the perspective of those more “capital district/downstate oriented” could be different from mine.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries. Everybody is frustrated right now. The title was tame in my opinion. Early on Cuomo mentioned hiking a lot in his daily pressers. I think he even took a hike with his daughters at Thacher Park outside Albany one day.

The various challenge organizers are in a tough spot. They are trying to do what's right but will irritate half the people no matter their decision. The fact that they're a hodgepodge of different folks scattered all over the northeast with no allegiance to each other doesn't lend itself to having a consistent approach.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          No need to apologize. Funny title, and he'll have turned a lot of people into a lot of things before this whole ordeal is over with.

Glad people are still getting out in the wilds to hike and are willing to talk about it!

Man, we all need to get into the woods...

As an aside: When I was young, my late dad and I climbed the 46 together over a span of 6 years or so. He had a head start, as he had a group of buddies from work with whim he hiked/camped every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend. When I was old enough to join in (age 7), I had the pleasure of being with this crew many times...some of my fondest memories as a kid. One member of the group (I think his name was Gary) had an interesting aspect to his approach to the effort: He would never step on the actual summit of any of the peaks we climbed. I asked him about it, and he said he did it out of respect for the mountain, and he did not keep track of how many he'd climbed...I am sure he did them all, based on the trios he went on, or did none, depending on how you look at it. This was no flower-wearing goofball...he was a straight-laced metallurgical engineer. He just was not bound by the desire to finish a list or 'conquer' a mountain; he simply enjoyed being in the woods, with his friends, enjoying all that brought with it. Though I could not resist the desire to earn the patch, Many years later and well into my next round (and with one kid about halfway there) I will always respect his outlook, and I always try to take time on any climb to just soak it in and enjoy the place and the moment.

Back to doing next to nothing...for now

Comment

I have respectfully stayed in my region during PAUSE, hiking in the LGWF, mostly off trail. Even when my region was closed, but the north country was open, I still chose to stay in my region. But as of today, the Capital District is in Phase 1 of reopening. IMO that means I can travel to any other area that is also open (were one to close again, I would respect that), while maintaining social distancing and wearing a mask when required.
          #8335W, Solo Winter 46
          ADK Grid 309/552
          Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
          ADK Quest #119
          NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
          Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• Yury
            Yury commented
            Editing a comment
            Moosebeware, what is " LGWF"?

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Lake George Wild Forest

An area partially being opened for economic reasons does not really mean anything, other than the government is choosing the other side of the teeter-totter, partially, of economy vs. health ramifications. Everyone should notice that these are not full openings. Why, why, would anyone think, that we're out of the woods on everything, when only certain parts of the economy are open?

Oh, because people think what they want to think, in our science project...
          I might be kidding...

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            But you also say that the honest politicians are saying the same thing, economy vs. health. So I'm confused.

The honest ones are saying it more diplomatically? Is that the difference?

• tcd
            tcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, I will try to be more clear:

>There is social health and physical health harm from the coronavirus.

>There is social and physical health harm from shutting down the economy.

Pretending that neither of these is true is naive. And characterizing "caring about the social and physical health harm from shutting down the economy" as "only being concerned about money" is disingenuous.

The balance required is to minimize total harm. Bashing each other with statements like "You don't care about the economy, you only want to keep things shut down" or "You don't care about the virus, you only want to start thing back up" is relatively unproductive. But that's what most politicians are doing.

• tcd
            tcd commented
            Editing a comment
            And here's more:

https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...ess#post863068

The Facebook page for the Fulton Chain Trifecta has updated their profile. It’s their patch still but the words over it “on pause until further notice” have been removed.

Comment

Working...
          X