Seward Range/ Cold River Loop Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seward Range/ Cold River Loop Backpack

I planned on an out of state backpacking trip in April. Alas the world changed and I didn't want to travel. Fortunately I live 15 minutes from the High Peaks Wilderness western side and have many local options. I hike the loop starting at Raquette Falls TH due to road closure and hiked clockwise to NPT down the Cold River, up Calkins Brook, and out the Raquette River Horse Trail for a 33 mile loop. A few notes. The gate was closed on Wed and open on Thursday 5/7. Still some snow above 2000 feet between the last lean tos and high point on Ward Brook Truck Trail. There is a flooded bog just before the NPT that requires wet feet. There were zero black flies so far and barely any mud.
    For the full TR and about 100 photos click the link to my website. http://www.tomcatsadventures.com/202...iver-loop.html

Here are a few pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SewardColdRiverBackpack%2B5.6.20%2B113.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	506174 Click image for larger version

Name:	SewardColdRiverBackpack%2B5.6.20%2B104.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	506175 Click image for larger version

Name:	SewardColdRiverBackpack%2B5.6.20%2B095.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	506176 Click image for larger version

Name:	SewardColdRiverBackpack%2B5.6.20%2B075.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	506177

I met 3 guys walking out of the woods who did this loop in 4 days. They loved it. I am always on the look out for backpacking trips I can do when I am older and this one fits the bill. Thanks for the report!
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I have done this loop a few times and agree it is a real gem.

Comment

This is one of my favorite backpack loops in the Adirondacks. The section of the NPT along the Cold River is second to none. I usually spend several nights along the Cold River. In October of 2008 we woke up to 18" of snow at Raquette Falls.

Comment

This loop exceeded my expectations. I could easily see taking several days or more to enjoy the campsites by the river.

Comment

Lovely trip report and photos.

Comment

• Cold River Bob
              Cold River Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been going in there a couple of times a year since 97. For a week at a time . I'm in my seventies an I plan on being in there next month for a week it just takes me longer.
              Great trip report.

• Old Hunter
              Old Hunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Bob, I'm thinking that except in bad weather, longer is better.

Nice TR!
            I bet there is still so much snow high up. This Mother's Day weekend we received 3-4 inches near my house and it was the coldest Mother's Day weekend I can ever remember.

Comment

I decided to check this out (a little) by hiking along the Raquette River a short distance. The only previous time I had been in the area was when climbing the Sewards, and this trail was a beauty; I hope they maintain the logging roads in the Boreas area as well! It was lightly raining and my wife had to get back so we only went a short way. There were two signs reminding us how to hike during COVID-19 (the standard, reasonable suggestions) including bringing your own pencil for the trail register. Heard some loons!
              Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
              2nd round: 16
              SL6r #596
              Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

To those that say it takes longer or they take a week, it's a great place to take your time and spend a few extra days particularly along the river.
                @ MTVhike I heard a loon as well on I believe Pickerel Pond.
                @ Spencer VT we had snow now in Tupper Lake for 5 days in a row Fri- Tues. Mostly flurries but more than inch on Saturday and Tuesday. I'm sure the high country a little messier.

Comment

Working...
                X