Pole Hill Pond Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Hill Pond Trail

Alltrails says it is 5.5 miles long with 1,500 feet of elevation.

The parking lot is a real fixer upper. The section to the right is very muddy and eroded. I have a Honda CRV and I have never heard anything good about the car's 4 wheel drive capabilities so I elected to turn left in the parking lot where there was an easy place to park instead of braving the mud and such. If you are used to 4 wheeling and have a good truck or SUV you could just use the regular parking lot.

This hike was a great what we call Covid hike. Easy half day hike that is great for your immunity. Lots of deep breathing, tree identification and rock identification. There is a nice view too. There are parts in the trail that are wet. I would not like to do this trail after a big rain. These sections could become really soggy. There is also a brook that you have to cross a few times. I think that could become hard to cross after a big rain.

Pole Hill Pond looked so beautiful. It looked like a good place to take a dip. Is it safe to swim in a pond with a beaver lodge in it? And what about leaches? Are they in small ADK ponds?

We did see a salamander swimming in the lake. We did not catch and eat the salamander...

Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

I assume you went from 9N? There's also a back way in from Godwin Preserve. Did you do the loop and get up on Walnut Ridge? Is that the view you mean? And did you skip over Bear Knob?

So many questions... sorry.

Comment

• Bunchberry
      Bunchberry commented
      Editing a comment
      I did the whole blue trail going over some knob. I went from 9N. The other way is more like 1 mile not 5.5.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      OK. You could make it 5 or 6 miles from the Godwin side if you went out/back to Walnut Ridge then out/back to Bear Knob. For future reference don't bother with Bear Knob unless you really have nothing else to do. The view is non-existent and there's not else of interest there.

There are leeches in may ADK ponds...especially near docks. You test for them by stirring up the water and splashing around. If they are nearby you'll probably see them swimming in towards the commotion. Its not a 100% sure method, but it works.
    Making the water muddy with same commotion is also a nice way to catch crayfish. You'll see their antennae coming through the muddy shallow water, then reach behind them and scoop 'em up in.
    I learned that on a farm pond as a kid selling bait!

Beaver won't bother you unless you have a wooden leg...but be careful of Adirondack Fur Fish tho they normally are in running water.

Comment

• Bunchberry
      Bunchberry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tips! I thought beavers might create an e-coli situation. We actually had a discussion today about where beavers poop in the winter. I know the lodges have a door that only opens down so they have to swim under the ice which means if the pond is completely frozen they have to poop in the pond.

I guess e-coli could be a possibility but I'd worry more about Beaver Fever and that is where from drinking water beaver swim in you will eventually turn into a beaver. Watch for your hair growing thick, your tail bone more pronounced and your front teeth growing longer. Its uncurable but you will become an expert in wood and woodcrafts, especially tree felling and dam building.

Comment

Working...
    X