X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampersand 3/9/20

Wake Up.

Get the kiddo to school.

"I did not get enough sleep last night... At all... Maybe I should just go back home and sleep."

Pause.

"No, today's forecast is perfect. You've gotta give Ampersand a shot."

Route 3 to Saranac Lake it is... With a stop at Maplefields for hot brew and a breakfast sandwich.

Feeling alive now.

I pulled into the trailhead and threw back a final gulp of coffee and grabbed my stuff.
    I crossed the street and signed in. There was only one couple that signed in before me. I strolled into the woods looking to check off number 5 for my Saranac Lake 6ers requirements.

Actually, I didn't stroll. I practically was racing as soon as my feet hit the trail.

I breezed through the first two miles. But, I was a little tired out as the climbing began.

"Why do I always do this when I'm alone?"

I slowed my pace and adjusted my apparel a number of times while making my ascent.
    I stopped often and would look out through the trees at the lakes and mountains in the distance.

"Perfect."

As I neared the summit, the wind picked up. It felt good. And, I was feeling good again.

I hit the summit marker and enjoyed one of the best views in the park. I had one of the most popular summits to myself.
    I threw my coat back on and snapped a few pictures.

About five minutes later, two Forest Rangers arrived. I never, ever see Rangers while hiking. Their names were Kevin and Rob. I didn't plan on staying at the top too long (I had to get home and pick up Pokey). But, We had a nice conversation & I stuck around chatting with them. They too were enthusiastic about the fantastic weather and views.

We departed around the same time. They eventually passed me and strapped on their skis. It was cool to watch them scoot their way down the mountain.

During my descent, I began to slip and rolled with it and having an epic buttslide that chopped off a few hundred feet of walking. Awesome.

It was so warm on the hike out that I shed my layers and was down to a T shirt.

"Can't beat this."

I was back at the car in just enough time to make it home and pick up Pokey from school.

A perfect day in the ADK.

I had a lot lined up for this Winter. But, that was sidelined as a result of a nasty case of diverticulitis In January and early February.
    Finishing up my remaining two Saranac Lake 6ers for Winter credit was at the top of my list and I wasn't going to let a stellar weather forecast slide away. Poor sleep on "Spring Ahead Day" be damned. I'm glad that I didn't go back to bed and chose Ampersand instead.

I have one more hike to finish up my 6 and am hoping to cram it in!

Nice. That's why winter hiking is so great... getting a great spot like Ampersand to yourself, even if only for 5 minutes.

What's left for the winter round of the SL6?

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Learning The Trails commented
      Editing a comment
      5 minutes was plenty. And, I had no problem with the Rangers being there.

I have Scarface left for my W. I saved it for last because a lot of people aren't crazy about it. But, I really love the trail. I listened to last week's FSP and they were gushing about the trail. That made me happy, knowing there's a few of us that don't mind the peak lacks summit views.

I wrote this TR a few days ago and forgot to post it here. Finishing this Winter might not happen thanks to current events. Pokey's school has cancelled for the next month. And, my work shifts have gotten moved to mornings and afternoons.
      I'm not sure if I want to start this hike at 3AM and follow it up with work.

We did go on a little hike yesterday just to get out of the house. Perhaps, I will post a brief TR on that.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Running low on days. And big monkey wrenches thrown into everybody's schedules given pandemic news constantly changing things. I enjoy Scarface though some more views would be great. But still a great hike. Hope you get there.

With school off I'm sure Pokey is turning her attention to when your first High Peak hike is gonna be this year. Something to look forward to amid all the cancellations of activities.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I hope to get there but am not seeing it as likely with the time crunch.
      By no means trying to make excuses. This Winter was tough on me to begin with.
      I would have loved to been out more than I was. If I have to wait another year, it's OK.
      We are looking forward to the Summer and trying to wrap things up in the High Peaks.

Where's Weatherfields?

Comment

Nicely done! Ampersand is such a great hike. So glad that you had a chance to enjoy the spectacular view.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Amp is a favorite in all seasons!

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Where's Weatherfields?
    Thanks Deb. Odd I've never seen one or noticed.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      News to me too.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      They're big gas stations that have fresh sandwiches and a huge variety of Green Mountain Coffee. Maplefields are mostly in Clinton County and the Burlington area.

Thanks LTT. I get into very south western Clinton a few times a year and P-burg once or twice. I haven't been in Burlington in quite awhile. If I see a Weatherfield I'll check it out.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      There's a few on P Burgh.
      I know you mentioned spending time in the TPWF.
      The one I stopped at is in Redford on Rt 3.

Thanks for the TR ….I love Ampersand....its my go to mountain and never gets old
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

How was the trail? Were snowshoes needed or did spikes suffice? Thinking of going up Friday now since I won't be working....

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      It was a week and a half ago. I used snowshoes for part of the hike.
      Never bothered with spikes.
      It has been warm in the time since. So, I'm not sure the current condition of the trail. It's supposed to be 60 and rainy in SL tomorrow. So, if you go... expect mashed potatoes.
      Ampersand is in the High Peaks wilderness. You're supposed to have snowshoes with you.
      Hope this helps!

LTT I went through Redford twice just after Christmas taking my grandgirls to P-burg shopping. We didn't stop but I believe I recall it now. Thanks

Comment

Working...
    X