Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11/14/19 - Adirondack Firetower Challenge Finisher - Cathedral Rock and Mt. Arab!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/14/19 - Adirondack Firetower Challenge Finisher - Cathedral Rock and Mt. Arab!

Thought I'd post here and add some pictures as to the conditions we saw today, since the most recent trip report I could find was from November 2nd. Long story short - plenty of fresh snow! (3-6")

Pictures here

I don't live in Upstate NY area anymore, so I can't hike in the area as much as I'd like. In any event, since summer I knew my firetower challenge finisher would be sometime this November. Back in the summer when I was imagining this hike, I was picturing one of those crisp fall November days - the ones we all know - bluebird skies, maybe in the 30s and 40s, perhaps some frost on downed leaves, dry air.

Instead, we were greeted with snow on the ground, snow squalls in the air, and mid-January or mid-February level temps! It was more snow than I would have expected this time of year - even for the foothill Adirondacks where we were hiking. The deepest we found was around 6" near the summit of Mt. Arab, and a consistent 3-4" everywhere else. I would guess that this means at least 6"+ for the High Peaks region, but I wasn't there today, so take that with a grain of salt. Oh, and the max temp we saw for the day was a balmy 25F as we headed through Tupper on our way out.

Our only respite was some "clear enough" weather as we made our way to the summit of Mt. Arab - I got some neat shots of Tupper and the high peaks from the top of the firetower - at least as much as the dynamic weather of the day would allow!

I can only imagine what great views the Cathedral Rock and Mt. Arab firetowers provide on a clear day - they would definitely be destinations to revisit in summer.

46R
    14/46W
    50/100

Congrats on the Fire Tower Challenge finish.

Arab is an interesting summer visit. The observers cabin has a mini museum inside about the history of the tower and the summit is home to a hummingbird sanctuary. Views are nice. See info and pics here... https://www.tupperlake.com/blog/2015...er-peak-museum

But you didn't miss much on Cathedral Rock. View is not so great. If I had to rank the views of the 30 fire towers it's down in the bottom 3.

Comment

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      I think its also a dragonfly sanctuary. Not to knock on any other towers, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the hike to Mt Arab when we were there this summer, especially with the museum and Thomas on top, he was great with all the interesting information, including the neat postcards, and explaining the reason for the congregation of the dragonflies in the summer (which I definitely noticed on Giant on one of our trips up last year).
Working...
X