My shortest trip report ever -- Vanderwhacker -- 10/13/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My shortest trip report ever -- Vanderwhacker -- 10/13/19

On Sunday I tried to stay away from the crowds of the Route 73 corridor and pick a quiet spot for a hike. Vanderwhacker fit the bill. The gathering there was small enough not to be bothersome whatsoever. Including myself there were thirteen friendly people (and one friendly dog) on the mountain.

Vanderwhacker should really get more love from hikers but for some reason it does not get the foot traffic the other fire towers get. It's a nice 6+ mile hike that's not too easy and not too hard. I'd say it's about the same exertion level as climbing something like Cascade. The trail is in fantastic shape. The views are excellent. Just a great spot. Maybe the bumpy drive in from the highway and the tiny summit area keep people away? I don't know but it's a bit puzzling given how nice the hike is.

So Sunday was a picture perfect day. It was 48* to start just after 11:00 a.m. and 55* to end by mid-afternoon. Blue skies. No breeze to chill you in the cab of of fire tower. View was spectacular. Fall colors are at peak. Chatted with a family of four on the summit. Nice folks. On this day fallen leaves made the trail a tad invisible in a few spots but I never ventured more than a few feet from finding it again. There's some muddy spots here and there but nothing outrageous.

Other than seeing a very skinny snake on my descent there's not much else to report. No crazy stories or observations - just a gorgeous day in the mountains.

A few pictures from the day...

Reflections of the falls colors in the water...

A few trail markers consumed by trees along the way...

The light and color of the foliage transformed this otherwise ratty old outhouse next to the observer's cabin into "the golden outhouse"...

Vanderwhacker fire tower...

View from the ledge next to the tower looking toward the High Peaks...

View from the fire tower looking west. Blue, Dun Brook, and Fishing Brook are the high points on the horizon....

Panorama from north to northeast with 28 of the High Peaks visible in the distance...

Looking east at the fall colors...

Through the window of the fire tower cab...

The skinny snake I nearly stepped on during my descent. I say skinny because it looked a bit deflated and flattened out...

Last edited by Makwa; 10-14-2019, 09:58 PM.

That is a nice little hike. When I hiked it the summit was socked in the clouds, what a beautiful view from the tower!
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely make another visit on a nice day. The view is worth the trip. One of the top 5 fire tower views in my opinion.

No photos for me...hmm?

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      odd. looking on laptop and phone and they'e all there on both.

• NumNum
      NumNum commented
      Editing a comment
      I briefly seen what he mentioned, some were blocked from google pics, but now they all show. Odd behavior.

No pix here either, on a desktop machine. Strange.

Comment

Short and sweet TR.

No pics for me. Samsung tablet.
      I've had a lot of issues with pics that I've posted disappearing within a day or two of me posting them.

Comment

I'll do some digging.
        If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

I ripped out all the pics and put them back in. Hoser Learning The Trails Old Hunter - can you see them now?? I can see all of them on PC, laptop, and phone.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
            Editing a comment
            No. Currently on laptop.
            I think it's something with the system.
            I could be wrong.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Nothing more I know how to do.

• NumNum
            NumNum commented
            Editing a comment
            I think its a case of bad links. If you right click on the image I posted at bottom and select "view image info" you see the image and the source or location of it. If you copy that url of the source and paste into a new browser tab, it takes you to the image on a google server. If you do the same on a photo that is not displaying as it should, it does the same thing, brings you to a google site with no view of the image. Not sure why the links are broken, maybe some of the url was accidentally omitted when posted?

Hi, no, still no pix.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
            Hi, no, still no pix.
            same here which is sad :(

Comment

None here either (on phone). Nice report though, will move that up the list for hikes with the kids.

Comment

• Makwa
                Makwa commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks.

Just some notes on getting there:
                If you have a 4WD the road in is not a problem. In a low clearance vehicle you have to pay very close attention and do some creative swerving to not hit all of the rocks in the road. And once the snow comes you have to park at the highway and walk the 2.5-3 miles into the trailhead. The road is not maintained.
            Working...
            X