Where'd everybody go? -- Kane 9/28/19 and Goodnow 9/29/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where'd everybody go? -- Kane 9/28/19 and Goodnow 9/29/19

Just a quick recap of two short outings from this past weekend after a month-long layoff while I was busy with other things...

On Saturday I took the drive out toward Caroga Lake to hike Kane Mountain but I first started my day about ten miles to the west of there at Bray House Falls (aka The Potholers). My visit was very short. This was mostly due to the falls only being a few hundred yards from the trailhead parking on Piseco Road in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest but also in some part due to the frequent sightings of Confederate flags on my drive in and running into an armed family on my short walk down the leaf-covered herdpath to the falls. Not that I was ever in danger but the whole vibe was a bit unsettling. Falls were pretty though. Didn't see any potholes. Perhaps in my haste I didn't look closely enough.

I then made the quickie trip east from there to Kane Mountain and followed two state trooper cars in the last quarter mile to the trailhead. Were they there in response to the dozens of cars parked all over the dead-end road and the parking area? Or maybe part of a rescue operation of some sort? They ended up parking right next to me so as I was gearing up I inquired if I should be on the lookout for a lost hiker. Nope... nobody was lost. And there wasn't anything exciting like a manhunt for Confederate Army deserters going on, but I was informed there was a memorial hike for a fallen officer that day on the mountain. If you have to contend with a giant crowd I guess that's among the best reasons for one. As my grandfather was a police officer I felt a certain obligation to offer some condolences to the folks gathered to honor their colleague but they were long gone by time I reached the summit. Where'd everybody go? So I poked around the observer's cabin, climbed the tower, enjoyed the fall colors for a while, then headed down. By time I got back to the trailhead all of the cars were gone except for mine and a handful belonging to the few folks still on the mountain. The dozens of others had long departed.

The one cute story worth sharing from my hike is about the three little kids and two Moms I crossed paths with on my ascent. The kids were maybe 6 or 7 years old. I always make it a point to stop for a few seconds to ask children if they are having fun. I did so on this occasion as well. They were all excited about having reached the summit and how great the view from the fire tower was, but one of the youngsters was very animated and cautioned me that I might want to turn around since the trail was very steep. I played along the best I could and told him I would risk continuing on.

I also must include the not-so-cute story/observation of the hike... the graffiti on some of the giant boulders along the trail and on/in the old observer's cabin on the summit is an eyesore. I have come to expect people carving their initials in the old wooden cabins. I doubt that will ever stop and there seems to be an old-timey quaintness to it even though it is vandalism. What I cannot tolerate is finding symbols of white power and other hate groups on the boulders and in the cabin. Coupled with the Confederate imagery just down the road I seriously doubt I will ever be visiting this area again.

The next morning I headed up past Newcomb to hike Goodnow Mountain. I arrived mid-morning to find a school bus, a smaller party bus (the kind that holds 15-20 people), and a dozen cars nearly filling the parking lot. Mobbed on the mountain, right? On the contrary, I ran into less than 30 people on the day... about 20 of which were easily identified as being part of the school group that came in the bus. Where'd everybody else go? I've mentioned it before in trip reports about Goodnow and in another thread on the forum recently that I think this parking lot is used to stash cars while people hike, bike, or recreate elsewhere. The number of vehicles always far exceeds the number of groups I see on the mountain.

Only interesting note from Goodnow - I met a couple in the fire tower cab that were visiting from Anchorage, Alaska. They were spending 4 or 5 days in the Adirondacks then continuing on to VT and NH for more hiking and leaf peeping.

So two lovely days out on the trails though the hate symbols on Kane creeped me out and sullied an otherwise nice outing. Weather was warm-ish on Saturday for Kane and a perfect 52* to start (58* to end) for Goodnow on Sunday. A couple of short outings but enough to stretch the legs after the month-long layoff. And I closed out Kane and Goodnow for the seasonal ADK fire tower grid I'm working (65/100 in total to date). Fall colors were quite nice even though the reds seem darker and more muted than other autumns of recent memory. Get out there soon to enjoy them if you haven't been yet.

Some pics from the weekend...

Bray House Falls...

Kane fire tower...

Views from Kane...

Goodnow...

Goodnow fire tower...

Looking out the windows of the cab of the tower...

Views from Goodnow...

Nice pics. Colours are looking good!

Comment

Working...
    X