9/30 Pilot Knob/Stewart's Ledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/30 Pilot Knob/Stewart's Ledge

Had a few hours to kill today and I've never been to Pilot Knob despite doing close by Buck Mt numerous times. I was on trail for most of the way up, but whacked it for most of the way down. Open woods and easy terrain. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the plane wreck until my neighbor told me about it when I got home, so I didn't look for it. But looking at the map, I must have been no more than 20 feet from it at one point. Oh well, next time. It went by so quick, so I tacked on Stewart's Ledge on the way out.

Views of Lake George from various spots.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2351.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	501652 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2354.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	501653 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2358.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	501654

Cool Cairn.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2359.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	501655

Open Woods.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2360.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	501656

Back to work tomorrow, but I've got some plans for the Catskill Mts coming up. Never hiked there before, so I'm pretty psyched for new territory.
    46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

The trail above the wreck is on the edge of a very steep/cliffy area. You're walking south on the trail and the wreck is just to the west about 100-120 feet. There's actually a herdpath that starts from a small clearing that works its way back north along the base of the cliff that leads to the wreck. If you ever go back shoot me a PM and I can give you exact location/ GPS coords.

Trip report on visiting the wreck... https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...ountain-6-7-16

Comment

• tumbleweed
      tumbleweed commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome Mak. I read your report and I guess I was no where near the crash site. I only went as far as the Knob, but not Pilot Knob Mt summit. Next time I plan to head up that way, I'll be sure to pm you. Or if you plan to go there any time, give me a shout if you want some company.

Great area. Lived in Glens Falls for 30 years, was up in that area more times than I can count. Great area to explore!

Comment

//////////
      46'er (waiting for #)
      12'ster #382
      4/12 W
      1/9

Comment

Working...
      X