9/28 Wallface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/28 Wallface

Yesterday I had the opportunity to join a group hike up to Wallface Mt. One of our own here (WheresAlbany) was part of this group and it was a pleasure to hike with him. We started out at the Loj at about 7am under the colors of the rainbow.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	501603
    There were 8 of us total in the group with varying degrees of speed and experience, so I thought it would be a bit of a challenge for our group leader, but she handled the whole hike with patience and professionalism. We went around Heart Lake and picked up the Indian Pass Trail.

On Indian Pass Trail with Wallface on the right.

Name:	IMG_2312.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	501605

Just off the trail at an old logging dam, similar backdrop.

Name:	IMG_2313.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	501606

Shortly after passing by Cold Brook Pass Trail, the bushwhack began. There were varying degrees of forest density and steepness. Although it was slower going for some, everyone was a trooper and we all made it up unscathed. I have some photos of us at the peak, but I haven't asked permission to post pictures of anyone, so I'll leave those pictures out. But here's a few pictures of the views from Wallface's peak.

From left to right. Iroquois, Shepherd's Tooth and Marshall.

Name:	IMG_2324.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	501604

Name:	IMG_2318.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	501607

to be cont'd

46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

Coming down the western slope of Wallface proved to get difficult for some, but we slowly made our way down. We followed Indian Pass Brook up to the Wallface Ponds, scooted around them, and all met up and reconvened at the start of extremely muddy Wallface Ponds Trail.

Few pics of the ponds.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2330.JPG Views:	26 Size:	12.8 KB ID:	501609 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2332.JPG Views:	24 Size:	10.8 KB ID:	501610
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2335.JPG Views:	24 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	501611 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3535.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	501629

At this point, we pretty much split up into 3 groups because it was getting late and people were moving at much different speeds. My group in the lead, got out with the help of headlamps for the last half hour. The second group probably needed headlamps for 1.5 hours. And the group leader stayed behind with the slowest member. I have no idea what time they got out, but I'm guessing it was pretty late.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2336.JPG Views:	25 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	501612

Although it was tough going for some, we all had a great time and got through it proud of the accomplishment. Thank you to the group leader for taking us on a great adventure.
    Attached Files
    46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

Comment

Nice. Was there evidence of a helipad being cut out of the summit area? I recall hearing that was done in the past year.

Comment

• tumbleweed
        tumbleweed commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the peak was clear cut for a helipad for a rescue at some point.. Offered maybe 270 degree views? Maybe a bit less.

It was great hiking with you too. Certainly a tougher hike than we all were expecting, but everyone held their own for the most part and now bushwhacking doesn't seem as intimidating. Excited for the next one.

Comment

• tumbleweed
        tumbleweed commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I think we all learned some things that day. I'll see you in a few weeks hopefully.
    Working...
    X