Ho, Cliffs, Cables, and a Gothic Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho, Cliffs, Cables, and a Gothic Finish

Tuesday morning I headed back up the northway to meet a friend (and 46'er) for a 3 day/2 night adventure. The weather looked to be absolutely perfect, and we weren't dissappointed. And the leaves are just starting to change. We planned to meet at South Meadows at around noon. But I had a couple hours to kill before he showed up. So I stopped at the Mt Van Ho trailhead for a quick warm up. About 40 minutes on the trail, and I was at Van Ho's peak.

Marcy, Colden, and Avalanche Mts.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2257.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	501329

And the Mac Range.

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	501330

Back to the bottom, looking up at Van Ho.

Name:	IMG_2262.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	501331

Next, took the short drive down the road to the S Meadows lot where I met up with my partner. After some last minute adjustments, we were on our way down the Klondike trail. We found and followed moose tracks for maybe a mile or so down the trail, but I forget exactly what part of it. 2 miles in, we took a short break and the Klondike lean-to.

Name:	IMG_2266.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	501332

I didn't realize it, but the Klondike trail reaches 3182 feet. We found the disc at its high point.
    Back on the trail, we made our way to the JBL for another short break. Then up the Orebed trail, where we made camp at the lean-to. The usual party favors were spread around, and we had an awesome night.

Name:	IMG_2300.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	501333

to be cont'd

46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

Next morning, temps were in the low to mid-30's, hot cup of coffee and a hot breakfast hit the spot. I think we hit the trail about 10am. In absolutely no rush, we made our way up the Orebed towards the Saddleback/Gothics col.

Stairway to Heaven

Name:	IMG_2278.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	501335 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.JPG
Views:	191
ID:	501336

Reaching the col, my partner passed on Saddleback. He's been up there many times I'm sure. So I made my way up solo.

Basin, up close from Saddleback.

Name:	IMG_2282.JPG
Views:	193
ID:	501337

Since I was right there, I decide to go down, then back up the infamous Saddleback Cliffs.

Looking down the cliffs from the summit.

Name:	IMG_2286.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	501338

And looking up the cliffs, at about the half way point.

Name:	IMG_2287.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	501339

to be con'd

46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

Comment

One more pic from the cliffs.

Name:	IMG_2288.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	501342

Back to the col, I met back up with my partner, and we made our way towards #46. He pointed me towards where the cables are. From this point of view, it looked really steep, but once we got there, I thought the cables weren't really necessary, at least during dry weather.

Name:	IMG_2289.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	501343 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	501344

Hitting Gothics summit, we had it all to ourselves for about 30 minutes. We had some celebratory whiskey, and the usual picture taking. My friend also presented me with an official 46'er patch, stickers, and some other things. I switched shirts. My daughter made me this one of a kind 46'er shirt for my 50th birthday, just 3 days before my finish.

Name:	IMG_2298.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	501345

Great views to be had in all directions under blue bird skies. I couldn't have asked for a better way to finish. Great company, great weather. We were joined by a nice couple a little later, and they helped me celebrate by finishing off the whiskey bottle.

Back down the Orebed, we spent another night in the lean-to, then made the easy hike out the next morning.

46'er (waiting for #)
      12'ster #382
      4/12 W
      1/9

Comment

miscellaneous pics.

My birthday cake. They had to tell me it was a mountain. LOL.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2253.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	501347

Yard, Big Slide, the Brothers, and Whiteface in the backround from Gothics.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2291.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	501348

Moose.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2303.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	501349

And as always, fungus, my favorite.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2301.JPG Views:	0 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	501350 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2302.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	501351

I met lots of beautiful souls and have many wonderful memories during this journey. But the journey doesn't end here.

Thank you to all the people and animals, plants and fungus, and mountains and streams for making this experience one of the greatest of my life.

46'er (waiting for #)
        12'ster #382
        4/12 W
        1/9

Comment

• Groundpounder
          Groundpounder commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats, Tumbleweed! I have to say that the cake looks looks very similar to what I've seen, and have added to, any number of ADK thunderboxes

Awesome report, pix, overall day, and congrats! Great feeling isnt it, but I found it is mixed, exciting, and a "wow its over" sad emotion too. Great job!

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely mixed feelings, but more like "now I feel free to roam again".

Congrats on your finish! I have enjoyed your trip reports and following along on your journey.

And at the risk being labeled pedantic on a big 46 finishing trip report... Pic #1 is Marcy, Colden, and Wright/Algonquin (with Avalanche just to the left), and Pic #2 is of Street & Nye.

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          haha, I must have got pics and notes mixed up a little. I should really hire an editor.

Congrats, Tumbleweed! I too plan to finish on Gothics in the next couple of weeks. I'm at 42/46, my final hike is planned to be HaBaSaGo and I absolutely can't wait to get out again. Just waiting for the garden to re-open to avoid the extra mileage necessary when leaving from South Meadows.
        Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul!

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks LH! Sounds like an awesome finale! Looking forward to your TR.

Congrats, Tumbleweed! Been really digging your trip reports along the way, and its good to hear that your journey isn't ending here.

We seem to enjoy the same down-time amenities in camp. Lets tag a couple peaks next summer while you're working on round 2.
        My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man. And yeah, I'm game for that! We'll be in touch.

Congrats Tumbleweed! Looks like a great trip to finish up on!

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks EW. Hopefully we run into each other again.

Way to go man! That 50th bday cake looks pretty close to that mushroom pic you took.
        ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks AC. Your TRs helped give me some great insight into some of my adventures.

Congrats! An epic time for an epic finish. I’d like to be a 46’er before my 50th birthday too.

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks NBFS. I have no doubt you'll do it.

Congrats, and Happy Birthday! Perfect birthday present, 46er finish on a great trip.
        35er #3133
        46er

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
        Zarathustra

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks bh. It's great to join the club.
      Working...
      X