8/26 and 8/28 Lake George East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/26 and 8/28 Lake George East

Took a little break from the high peaks these past 2 outings to visit a couple spots I missed on previous trips to the east side of Lake George. Monday morning I parked at the Shelving Rock trailhead and walked up Shelving Rock Mt. Really easy hike with a decent view of the lake just past the summit.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2129.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	500583
    After coming down, the decision was made to walk the trail out to Black Mt Point. This trail, an 8 mile out and back, hugs the lake the entire way. I've never been on this trail before, so didn't know what to expect. Looking around, I saw camping opportunities every where. Just as I was thinking that, I started coming up on a whole bunch of camping sites, most of them with their own dock on the lake.
    There were also a few day use areas along the way with open space and shelters.

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	500585

Way too much civilization for me. But a great view of the Tongue Range from many spots.

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	500584
    Reaching Black Mt Point, there were a few boats docked there, with people picnicking around. I walked out to the actual point, and luckily had it to myself. I think that's where the above picture was taken from. Right at the point, there is a sign that I'm sure once said, "Black Mt Pt", but it was faded to almost nothing. I couldn't get a straight on pic of it due to the water and slippery rocks.

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	500586
    I was able to get a glimpse of Black Mt through the trees.

Name:	IMG_2160.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	500587

to be cont'd

46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

The walk back to the trailhead was pretty uneventful. So I decided to have a little fun. There was a couple anchored on one of the bays. I do a pretty mean duck call. So I did my "distressed" call, and they started looking all over the place as I was hidden in the woods maybe 30 yards away.
    Can't resist.

Name:	IMG_2145.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	500589
    After reaching the trailhead, I started heading home, but decided to make a quick stop at Shelving Rock Falls. I think it's a quick 1.2 mile round trip. I got there to a crowd of teens, tweens, and parents, as expected. And then made my way home.
    This is the pool above the falls. Looks like I lost my other picture of the actual falls.

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	500590

to be cont'd

46'er (waiting for #)
    12'ster #382
    4/12 W
    1/9

Comment

8/28, I decided to hit the same general area again. From Dacy Clearing, I scooted up Sleeping Beauty. Always a sweet spot to be.

Name:	IMG_2167.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	500592
      Next, I made my way past Bumps Pond and over to Fishbrook Pond. I stayed there back in April on an overnighter and it brought back great memories. Then I decided to check out Greenland Pond and the lean to since I never made it down that trail before. This is where I encountered my 1st ever rattle snake this side of the Mississippi. I was stepping over a log, and heard the distinctive rattle. I looked down to see the snake was right where I was about to step. So I re-adjusted me stride and stumbled quickly past the snake.

Now at the lean to, I took a break. Talk about solitude. Great lean to right on the water, and it comes with a boat!

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	500593

Name:	IMG_2171.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	500594 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	500595
      After a little break, I headed back to Fishbrook Pond where I took a refreshing swim.

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	500596

to be cont'd
      46'er (waiting for #)
      12'ster #382
      4/12 W
      1/9

Comment

Clothes back on, I took the counter-clockwise way around the pond, walked back to Bumps Pond, and took a right on the Bumps Pond Spur Trail. After close to a mile, I took another right on the Erebus Mt Trail and hit the high point of the trail (the official summit).
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2181.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	500598
        From here, I did the bushwhack to the actual summit (I think). I followed the orange/pink ribbons up and reached a cairn with a metal canteen. This looked like the high spot to me. I looked around for a sign and couldn't find it. If it's not the actual summit, no biggie. (Anyone know?)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2182.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.7 KB ID:	500599
        The bushwhack down proved to be a little fun. For whatever reason, I had trouble following the ribbons and got off track. Not wanting to back track, I just headed straight down and linkedback up to the trail. Good thing I brought my pack with me, otherwise I would of had to back track to pick it up at the trail's high point.

Back to Bump's Pond where I cleaned the little pine needles off my head and neck. This is where I saw my first human of the day.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	12.6 KB ID:	500601
        The rest of the way back to the truck was uneventful. Saw another couple of groups on their way up, and some fungus among us.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2179.JPG Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	500600

46'er (waiting for #)
        12'ster #382
        4/12 W
        1/9

Comment

Nice report. I am jealous you saw a rattler. Can't say for sure whether you hit the Erebus summit or not. I didn't see a cairn when I was there. No sign either. No matter... no view from anywhere around that summit area anyway. If you didn't hit it you probably only missed by a few feet.

Comment

• tumbleweed
            tumbleweed commented
            Editing a comment
            It must have been it. The ribbons stopped right there, there was a cairn, and I couldn't see anything higher. Like you said, no matter. It was pretty cool to get itchy and semi-lost.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            If you followed the ribbons then you hit the high point. I followed them down. Missed them on the way up and bushwhacked the worst route possible then poked around looking for a summit sign I had seen pictures of online but that wasn't there when I visited. Appeared I was on the high point as I saw nothing higher. I always hate leaving those kind of spots and having to wait until I get home to check my tracklog to see if I actually tagged the high point.

Interesting to say the least and nice photos tho I missed the one with the rattler An area I never explored, thanks.

Comment

Those campsites along the lake to Black Mt. Point are run as part of the DEC campground system and a fee is charged thru Labor Day. After that, it's free and they are nice quiet sites during the week.

Comment

• tumbleweed
              tumbleweed commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I'm sure they're pretty quiet after Labor Day. Carrying in and stashing a kayak somewhere along that path could be pretty cool.
          Working...
          X