Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Likely a very light tan snout with some (or a lot of) gray in there... Middle aged men don't like to talk about that.
    After 7PM, it's white. Very white :O.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much for the "Superdad" compliment.
    I was wearing tan shorts... And, no joke I tore a hole in the crotch climbing down the Marshall herd path... With the proper wiggling - maybe a hideous poop mess could've been avoided... LOL!

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. The two bluffs were - by far the worst part.

I remember your TR! After you have an encounter like that, you definitely keep an eye over the shoulder!

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    I want to like this comment at least two more times.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks TCD. Her safety was the number one concern. I had the adrenaline rush still running strong well after we got home.
    I need to include this tidbit to my TR when I add it to my blog... But, I think you'll enjoy it as you like the Hammond Pond WF.

Four years ago when I was taking Kailee on her first camping trip at Sharp Bridge she said
    "We might see monkeys!!!"
    "No," I replied "We won't see any monkeys."
    "But, it's a jungle!"
    "It's not a jungle. It's a forest. But, we might see bears!"
    Pure terror encompassed her face. Tears started falling...
    "Dude, don't worry! You've got a Dad with you! Bears don't wanna mess with a Dad!"
    I repeated that until she was calm.

After our Indian Pass Bear encounter, I recalled the story to her.

"See? Tonight, Dad delivered on his promise."

• Bunchberry
    replied
    I am not even gonna tell my wife about this.

Leave a comment:

• tcd
    replied
    LTT, that's extremely solid work. I bet you were ready to throw down at full power, with the baby girl there. Maximum adrenaline. (I think that's actually good for you, periodically.)

Great story. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Haha! Thank you Dennis! Love your Dix wilderness bushwhack TR's. Can't wait to try a little of that some day!

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    But hopefully not like Legends of the Fall.

• DennisK
    replied
    LTT, you're going to become a legend.

Leave a comment:

• CatskillKev
    replied
    Yeah, I would agree with ideally backing out of there. Also, I've never seen a black bear with a white snout. Could he be rabid, as in foaming at the snout?

Leave a comment:

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    I would've been backing "up" a hill on tired and nervous legs.
    Previous encounters, I've stood firm and told the bears to get lost and they usually scamper right away.

• mbowler
    replied
    Wow great story! However, I wonder about one thing. Why did you not back down? Do you think this would have been less of a standoff if you had backed slowly away, rather than standing your ground?

Anyway, glad all was resolved safely in the end. Definitely you and Kailee got a good story out of this hike!

Leave a comment:

• Eddie Fournier
    replied
    This is when you wished you had brown pants... You sir have now achieved superdad status.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Man Hiking
    replied
    "bluff charged"?????? Yeah, that would have given me a heart attack for sure. Nice job!!

I met a small bear in the woods last year at night about a mile from the JBL. We were also about 20' or so apart. I was so terrified it took me at least a minute or two to be able to form words. The difference in my case was that the bear knew I was there before I saw him and he was just hanging out watching the headlamp bounce down the trail. Kept looking over my shoulder every few yards the rest of the way to the JBL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X