Mount Adams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Adams

On Sunday, SummitHat and I did a tune up hike up St. Regis, and Mt. Adams came into the conversation. I decided that I'd add Adams to my "A" list of firetowers.

Now, I've long followed the efforts of the Mt. Adams restoration team on this site, starring the gents that I like to think of as the forum "classics", the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, including ADK Jack, Summit Hat, CoryD, Kenmore, Kyler, Mountain Man John and others that may have slipped my mind... but I'd never gone up Mt. Adams until yesterday. It's a gear grinder of a hike, short, steep, fun... did I mention steep?... what I like to call an "uppity" hike.

(Fun fact: 320 pounds of concrete mix were hauled up that hill, and the water to mix it with too.)

From a distance, Adams is a lovely, shapely mountain. The trail in is graced by ferns and flowers of all sorts, the lady slippers were blooming yesterday, as were forget me nots and violets.

I had the trail to myself until the summit, it's wet in spots, slippery in others, eroded here and there, with peekaboo views on the way up and one very tall tower atop a wooded summit. I'm sorry to say that my knees were knocking a bit too much to get to the cab, but I did clear treeline and had my breath stopped by the gobsmacking views in every direction. Fascinating to look down on the mining operations far below, and consider what might have been the fate of the more mountains out there. Marcy positively LOOMS over you, and, off by itself, sulks Allen, standoffish and he obviously doesn't get along with the other mountains, but, I swear, he looks like an owl in the distance.. (dope question here, but do you ascend the side that you see from Adams?)
    Guess the blackflies had a taste for A negative yesterday, so I hustled down after only a few minutes. What a perfect day.

I want to again express my admiration for the extreme hard work done by the restoration team of adkhighpeaks forum members. You picked the toughest tower trail I have yet been on. The tower is beautiful, shiny like a new dime, and worth every step to get there. I doubt I could haul more than my own carcass and hydration pack up that baby, but I'd be down for sidecutting next year...
    You guys are amazing. Thank you!!!!

Now, what's this about an East River Trail? Is that new? Not on my Nat Geo maps.

I second all of this. Was there on Saturday and the tower is immaculate. The table up top with all the mountains is so well drawn. Reslly enjoyed this one. Great TR.

Comment

• ADKJack
      ADKJack commented
      Editing a comment
      Cant take credit for the map. that is a replica of the original drawn in 1923 by engineer Kinne Williamson.

Originally posted by Charlene 2.0 View Post
    (dope question here, but do you ascend the side that you see from Adams?)
    Yup, right up the slide.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Adams is a great mountain, a personal favorite, but man is that tower tall and unnerving. I managed to get to the top in mid-October 2016 as the wind was whipping through it, loved the views but *did* NOT love that feeling!

Comment

• ADKJack
        ADKJack commented
        Editing a comment
        So early in the restoration after we had gotten the roof on by running 2"X10"s through the window sections to use as scaffolding Kenmore and I went back up to remove said scafollding and restore the windows. Keep in mind there was no fencing ad only a couple sections with handrail at the time. The wind was howling that day as Ken and I wouldwait for the gusts to drop low enough that we could carry these 8' sections down a flight without getting airborne :-)
        Fun times,

• ndru
        ndru commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh. Hell. No!!

• Charlene 2.0
        Charlene 2.0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Originally posted by Charlene 2.0 View Post
      I'm sorry to say that my knees were knocking a bit too much to get to the cab, but I did clear treeline and had my breath stopped by the gobsmacking views in every direction. Fascinating to look down on the mining operations far below, and consider what might have been the fate of the more mountains out there. Marcy positively LOOMS over you, and, off by itself, sulks Allen, standoffish and he obviously doesn't get along with the other mountains, but, I swear, he looks like an owl in the distance.
      I too had my breath stopped the two times I visited. There's not enough superlatives to describe that view. I mentioned in another thread just this week it's one of Top 10 faves in all of the Adirondacks and #1 on the fire tower list. So glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Charlene thank you for the kind words and I agree that all who helped and continue to help are indeed extraordinary people (not all men, lol) I am so glad you had the opportunity to get up there, yes the East River trail is mostly swimmable at the moment but that is what happens when the trail is on old road bed and while our crew did construct the small bridge across the lake Jimmy outlet and the planking on the other side that section of trail is not our responsibility we have the section from the junction to the top, you know the well maintained section steep as hell at the top but worth the work.
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
          Charlene 2.0 commented
          Editing a comment
          No insult intended about the east river trail, and yeah, it's pretty much a thing with road beds (I call them submersible trails), (Iron Road comes to mind, yukyukyuk)... and I knew you don't tend that section. I'm glad you find it steep too, I don't feel so out of shape now. It's a really nice trail.
          I rarely hit up Tahawus as a start point, it and Elk Lake are the furthest away from me, drive wise, so, I'm not there very often. Too bad for me. But this will change.

What I noticed is that the yellow marked trail crosses the upper works road and heads off into the woods, as if to go toward Henderson Lake. I'm not finding this on my Nat Geo map (which is obviously outdated). Is this new?

• ADKJack
          ADKJack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that trail is an OSI trail from the Blast Furnace to the the old Inn. Both sides of the road and about halfway to lake Jimmy are still owned by OSI as is the footprint for the Tower and the footprint for the old ranger cabin. Kind of a patchwork wilderness zone over there.
      Working...
      X