Sewards Defeat 11/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewards Defeat 11/23

Judy, Shiloh, Snickers and I had high hopes Friday of grabbing a Sewards 3-some--We hit the trail from Coreys at 7:00 AM under very cold gray skies--The walk in was a mix of snow, ice, mud and water--a theme that was to prevail for the rest of the day. As this was the first time for all of us, there was a bit of apprehension as to what we would find as we started up the CB Path. Our first hurdle was the the crossing. Water levels were quite high. We searched some and settled on the cairned spot. We gaitered up, Judy and Cindy put on stabilicers too--All the exposed rock tops were iced over so I chose the "step on the underwater rock technique. Shiloh did a nice job of rock hopping and barely got damp. We all got over ok and off we went. Our progress was soon slowed by mud, ice, and much water flowing down and along the herd path. It was a mess To further slow us, every possible drainage stream was flowing which created numerous crossings along w/ icy rock hops and muddy pit avoidance dances. Not fun at all. We arrived at the col area after 6.5 hours of this slogging. My quads were cramping something awful which didn't help matters at all. It was 1:30. I knew we were close to Donaldson but the vote was taken that it was all or none. None of wanted to walk out thru the mess in the dark, so after a quick time check we turned back, w/ much dissapointment, but with the knowledge that we were making the right call. We made it to the car right as darkness fell. This was an old fashioned a** kicking. We have all done longer hikes w/ much more vertical but the conditions we found, plus the fact that my old legs were not "winter" ready doomed us. We'll be back for 'em.
    I'll post a few pics later--I did get some nice shots on Algonquin the next day.
    Pics
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561569851VTVhIR

Sounds like a real pain in the a**! This time of year is tough with all kinds of conditions. Very unpredictable. You guys made the right call.
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Comment

Thanks for the pics....looks really pretty up there! Well, except for the mudfest you had in the Sewards, you probablly weren't thinking about how pretty it looked that day.
      Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
      Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

It was a tough day, but we did have fun and we were laughing, especially on the way down. It was a pretty hike and the brook was really nice. It is always hard to accept defeat and turn back, especially when you are so close. I am fortunate I have an easy time of letting it go, maybe because it happens to me so much up there...hee...hee. I was more disappointed about loosing my crampons then not getting the peaks. The mountains will be there for another adventure. Damn, I actually have to go back to the Adirondacks. Although I will wait for true winter to try it again. I only want to do this one, one more time. I will also backpack in as far as I can get and then start very early the next morning. I also think it will be easier if the trail is all frozen and covered with snow. Hey, I am all for paying for snowmobile rides in, in the winter.

Bill, Judy, and Shiloh it was great hiking with you guys this weekend!!! Thanks so much for everything.

Happy Trails - Cindy
        Snickers
        I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Cindy,

It took us 3x to make this route work in the winter. In late Feb or into March, CB is like a highway and you can walk the stream 3/4's of the way up. With a camp near 3,500', you can be on Donaldson at 8am and spend the day first getting Emmons and then snagging Seward.
          "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

Alan,

If you can provide more info on where the camp is located at 3500 that would be great.

Cindy
            Snickers
            I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
            -Maya Angelou

Comment

One of my favorite trips was not summiting the Santanoni range 2 years back when many had gone in groups to climb all three in very rough winter conditions. A few of us did summit Panther that day with a lot of hard work, Panther was not the objective Couch was, but it just wasn't going to happen that day. It was very humbling and turned out to be my favorite trips in winter being turned around.
              You guys will go back and get them just as we had gone back and accomplished the trek. Great report and good luck.
              Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Comment

Way to go.
                Sometimes the best reports are the ones where things don't work out as planned.

Next time you will get there, and it will be sweeter.......
                Walk Softly

Comment

It was a frustrating day. We were all beat up a bit. And what Cindy was kind enough to omit was that it was my fault she lost her crampons

Comment

Originally posted by billandjudy View Post
                    It was a frustrating day. We were all beat up a bit. And what Cindy was kind enough to omit was that it was my fault she lost her crampons

Lets hear the story
                    OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
                    Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Defeat?

Bill & crew - It's never a defeat if you come back in as many pieces as you go out...see Mav's post about finding the person with a broken ankle on Giant this weekend.

Nice pics - looking forward to February with you...

WinterWarlock
                      Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

So Cindy says to me--"hey Bill, can you stuff my crampons in this bag and then stick 'em in the side pouch on my pack??" And I say to Cindy--"You don't need no stinkin" bag, I'll just lash 'em to your snowshoes on the back of your pack." 1 hour later Cindy says to me--" **^*&^%&^&$%$^%"
                        So we went shopping on the way home.

Comment

A black friday shopping trip to include a trip to the Sewards.

Comment

It once took us 15 hours to get to Donaldson and back. A few weeks later it took 14 for Seward. Then, last Xmas I did all 3 in something like 10 (And then Seymour in about 8).

Conditions, conditions, conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              One of my favorite trips was not summiting the Santanoni range 2 years back when many had gone in groups to climb all three in very rough winter conditions. A few of us did summit Panther that day with a lot of hard work, Panther was not the objective Couch was, but it just wasn't going to happen that day. It was very humbling and turned out to be my favorite trips in winter being turned around.
                              You guys will go back and get them just as we had gone back and accomplished the trek. Great report and good luck.
                              Ah yes! The day Old Man Winter kicked the a$$es of at least 20 strong hikers! I won't name them all, but I was the ringleader of sorts! There were a lot of disappointed wannabe W46-ers that day, (not to mention some already W46-ers), many of whom have gone back and finished the deed. Persistence will pay off!
                              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
                              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
                              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
                              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Working...
                              X