Algonquin - 3's a charm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algonquin - 3's a charm

Well, after Friday's defeat in the Seward's, alot of work and no peaks for the bag, plus lost crampons..whew. Made the Sewards as far as the col, that is another story that BillandJudy can tell.

Judy was not feeling well on Saturday, so Bill and I decided we would head for Algonquin. I have tried this peak twice before, I think Feb of 2005, freezing cold, climbed Wright and looked over at Algonquin, in a white out and decided it was for another day. Try two was last Dec 30, nice day down low, snowing, up high, blowing like a mad man, and snowing, another white out day, but I was going for it until I fell in a spruce trap and was frozen by the time I got myself out.

Saturday was clear blue, sunny skies, it was to be my mountain today, no excuses. We started out from the LOJ a little after 8:00AM, the air was crisp and cold, we walked a nice brisk pace to get warmed up, trails are in great shape, packed out nice, trail going up Algonquin was a mix of ice, snow, and water, not enough snow to cover the rocks yet. All the usual ice flows are in, we finally put on our crampons at the second ice flow and kept them on the rest of the way up. Views were amazing on the way up. I looked up and asked Bill, "Is that Algonquin in front of us", as I have never seen it from the trail on the way up before. He replied with a puzzled yes. We stopped just before we broke the tree line to put on our soft shells and heavy gloves as the wind was blowing pretty good up top. I started out before Bill and didn't meet up with him again until the summit. Once I broke above tree line the wind was too cold to stop, only had my light soft shell pants on and no longies on under them, my legs were freezing, but I just kept going. I was so excited when I got to the top I forgot all about my freezing legs. WOW, the views were great, Colden looks so small from Algonquin, I was surprised. We ducked down behind the rocks to get out of the wind and I marveled at the views of the flowed lands, Avalanche Pass, Colden, The Great Range, Giant, Marcy, everything. I think we stayed up about 20 minutes, half hour tops, then headed back down. Today was a good day. We ran into many people on our way back down and stopped to chat with a few. I was surprised to see so many people bare booting, brave folks. Out just past 2:00PM, headed back for nice hot showers and dinner in Lake Placid.

Wonder if I will ever be a winter 46R after our day in the Seward's Friday. I don't think there is enough daylight in winter for me. Will have to re-think the plan of attack for our next try. I know it's not true winter yet, but conditions up high are getting there, just need the date to get there. Still need to get my winter legs too. Legs are a little sore today after the slipping/sliding and crampons. Can definitely feel it in my calves.

BTW, lost my crampons in the Sewards, we went in via Caulkins Brook, lost between the col and the stream crossing. If someone happens to find them I will reimburse you to have them shipped to me. Petzel Irvis 10 point crampons.

Happy Trails - Cindy
    Last edited by Snickers; 11-25-2007, 04:53 PM.
    Snickers
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    -Maya Angelou

Cindy, you'll get 'em. To assure yourself, sled your pack to where the truck trail intersects with Calkins Brook and then pack up the brook as far as daylight allows. Early start will put you on D'Son, with the rest of the day to get the other 2. Its a 'sleigh ride' doing them that way.

PB
    "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

Interesting to hear about your conditions over on Algonquin with the winds. We were over on Giant and at 10:30 am (when we were on the summit), we had a real mellow breeze. It was clear as bell though, but we could see the clouds coming. Amazing what few miles and a few hundred feet will do.

Great report.
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

I was on Wright on saturday, got started about the same time you did. I was alone. The weather indeed was beautiful. The last time I was there I couldn't see to the next cairn on Wright it was so foggy. Glad to hear you had a good day. At the junction to Wright the trail up to Alqonquin looked solid ice - did that persist the entire length to the summit or did you get some relief?

Comment

Mike, it was mix all the way up, but I think that was the worse, there and where the headwall flow is. There were not many folks in front of us, we did not run into anyone until we were almost up top, but plenty of folks coming up on our way back down. Bill kept saying he was surprised not many people were out on this beautiful day. I kept saying wait, it is early. Nice to hear you had a great day too.

Yeah Mavs, what a difference a few miles and feet make. As one guy said, is is ever not windy on Algonquin??

Happy Trails - Cindy
          Snickers
          I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
          -Maya Angelou

Comment

Nice day indeed. I found a shot over in your direction from Giant. It's taken at 10:47 AM, probably a little before you were on top. Anyhow, you are out there, somewhere.

p.s. It was actually much clearer earlier in the AM.
            "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Snickers View Post
              As one guy said, is is ever not windy on Algonquin??
              Hmmm, I've been there 3 times, and 2x it was quite placid. The other time, it was like Cindy described, the wind trying to knock you down, and blowing thru your clothes, no matter what you were wearing!
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

I left a mechanical pencil at the sign in at the Loj because the pencils were broken when I signed in. Enjoy, that was my favorite pencil

Comment

I bet I ran into all of ya up there on Saturday! It was a good day indeed.
                  "This world falls on me. Dreams of immortality. Everywhere I turn, all the beauty just keeps shaking me." Amy Ray, Indigo Girls

Comment

I think we were headed back down about 11:00/11:30, what time were you up there Leaf? When we were going up we didn't see anybody until we were almost above treeline, There was a woman coming down, two young men passed us like we were standing still, 22 to be young and there was another group of three men up there, that I was chatting with. Coming down we passed many groups, a few groups of kids with adventure guides. Looked to be a busy day for Wright and Algonquin.

Nice avatar. - Cindy
                    Snickers
                    -Maya Angelou

Comment

I was at the summit of Wright around 11:00 a.m. and then up at the top of Algonquin at noon. So I might have missed you if you were coming down Al and I was coming down Wright. I was with two women who constantly were calling me young, and I'm 31. Thanks, the avatar is my signature 'self-portrait'. I've perfected it from hiking solo alot. Hehe. It was a busy day up there for sure! I found the wind quite bearable and spent alot of time at the summit. The next day I hiked Cascade and Porter and the winds nearly blew me over! Funny how the weather is so different every day, or even every hour of the same day.
                      "This world falls on me. Dreams of immortality. Everywhere I turn, all the beauty just keeps shaking me." Amy Ray, Indigo Girls

Comment

Leaf, did I take your picture on Wright with two other ladies?

Story about my cascade experience. The wind was so bad when I was there, I dropped an empty gatorade bottle and before it hit the ground was blown away from me!! I had to chase it down, it was insane. The wind was really bad on Cascade.

EDIT: I DID I DID I TOOK YOUR PICTURE ON WRIGHT!!!!!! As I was hiking down I thought about that picture because I could have taken a closer shot of you and felt bad that I ruined the photo. Anyway, nice website. Good to see you out enjoying the beautiful day.
                        Last edited by mikeharo; 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM. Reason: research findings

Comment

The picture came out great! As you can see from my website! Hey, that picture captioned "Hiker ascending Wright Peak".. that's you! Hope you like it. You can download the picture in high-resolution right off my site if you'd like. Cool!

Comment

Working...
                          X