The 46 of 46 Podcast: A High Peaks Audio Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 46 of 46 Podcast: A High Peaks Audio Trip Report

Hey everyone! After 4 months of editing, ďThe 46 of 46 PodcastĒ is now available. Itís a documentary-podcast, with full musical score and sound design, chronicling my experience hiking all 46 high peaks during the summer of 2018. Each episode represents one day hike, 16 total hikes to summit 46 peaks (17 total episodes). Having grown up in Lake Placid Iíve known many 46ers and never dreamed Iíd actually become one. The show is equal parts information, entertainment, and one complete 46erís journey. I hope you enjoy my story. Itís available now on iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, YouTube, and more.

The feedback Iíve received has been overwhelmingly positive with over 4,000 downloads in just two weeks so I hope youíll check it out. A great additional option while researching trip reports, or listen to the episode(s) of the peaks youíre about to hike while you drive to the trailhead. Thanks everyone, see you on the trail!

Apple Podcasts Link
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...455421011?mt=2

Spotify Link
    https://open.spotify.com/show/7kOrQ8mexQrKmvcpmWOwjy?si=3kHeQzOCQnGEJYhYDCf7R

Stitcher Link
    https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=380758

Youtube Link
    https://youtu.be/-7sJwj8L100

Nice work - I'll look forward to listening.
    Redtail
    LT 06
    46x46

Comment

For some reason, the podcast app that I use on Android (Player.fm) can't find this. I'll keep looking...

Comment

• LakePlacid9er
        LakePlacid9er commented
        Editing a comment
        If you didn’t have any luck it’s also on Stitcher which is a popular android podcast platform

Listening now!

Comment

I really liked your podcast and actually gave you a shout out here https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...els-on-youtube.

Above all, your show is head and shoulders above the production quality of most pods out there, which was pretty cool (even if it involved FF'ing through some ads). It was also really cool that you made an effort to address LNT, which nobody else except FootStuffPodcast has done so far IFAIK. Do you have an ideas about continuing it for another season or more? Possibly another round of the 4k footers or another local "list"?
        My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Thanks for checking it out! And yes I have ideas Iím playing around with for a season 2. Figuring out how I want to go about it but I will definitely be continuing. Itís a process but more content is in the the pre-production phase

Comment

Listening to the Dix range report right now. Don't think I would call Grace Hudawolski "infamous". I would choose "beloved".

Comment

Cascade and Porter. First one.

Hope you don't mind me proofing.
              At about 820. Wrong elevation for Porter
              At about 935 Not a cannister, it's a marker. A USGS marker for Cascade. No more to say right now....will see about markers in later posts.

I second FlyFishingAndBeer. Nice that you bring attention to Leave No Trace.

Don

Comment

• gebby
                gebby commented
                Editing a comment
                Beat me to it on the canister.

• Makwa
                Makwa commented
                Editing a comment
                5:45 "(Porter) 0.9 miles away."

I believe the sign at the Cascade/Porter junction says 0.7 miles. It's 0.6 according to caltopo and by my GPS track. It's almost 0.9 from the summit of Cascade to Porter though.

Hate to nitpick what was otherwise a good production. Nice job LakePlacid9er. I look forward to listening to the rest.

Originally posted by LakePlacid9er View Post
              Hey everyone! After 4 months of editing, The 46 of 46 Podcast is now available. It's a documentary-podcast, with full musical score and sound design, chronicling my experience hiking all 46 high peaks during the summer of 2018.
              I've enjoyed listening to this pod cast, nice job. I'm through the D-N-C-B episode at this point. I also appreciate that you plug the LNT principle (even picking your spilled M&Ms out of the mud) and hiker preparedness.

Another proof. Not 20 miles, though it may feel like it. The Dix range hike clocks at under 16 miles, maybe even under 15.

ADK 46er 7350W
              Catskill 35er #2339
              ADK Firetowers 26/28
              ▲RWMS▲

Comment

Very enjoyable podcasts and top-notch sound quality.

I'm glad you resisted the urge to swim near Lake Road as that would have clearly been tresspassing (the AMR has strict rules that hikers need to follow). Also, you should note that bringing rocks on top of Skylight is now frowned upon.

Comment

• gebby
                  gebby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point! I think Tony Goodwin posted that the next version of the High Peaks guide will point that out! https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...ks-on-skylight
                  Last edited by gebby; 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM.

• LakePlacid9er
                  LakePlacid9er commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the compliment! And yes I could tell that swimming there wouldn’t be a wise choice for a number of reasons

OP, I know we already chatted about this one too, but for anyone not familiar with the Marshall plane crash who may want to go looking for it, it's near the height of land along the Cold Brook Pass, not the Indian Pass trail. Other than the trail name error the description of where to find it is spot on.

Glad you're exploring a second season. There's a ton of angles that a person could use when discussing the ADK and surrounding area in terms of outdoor rec. Even limited to hiking in the High Peaks as a topic, there's a lot of issues to talk about and a lot of trails (physically and metaphorically) to explore.
                My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Enjoying the podcast a lot! I spent most of March sitting around with a broken ankle, and it really helped morale to rehike some of my hikes in my head as I listen to your great (and concise!) descriptions - and plan which ones to do next once I can swap crutches for hiking poles. I realize you didn't release the podcast *just* so I could have some hiking tales to listen to after my accident, but the timing was perfect all the same

Comment

• LakePlacid9er
                    LakePlacid9er commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow I’m so glad this was able to boost your spirits! So cool to hear! Hope you’ll be out on the trail soon!

Just finished the last episode today. Excellent production quality, no doubt helped by your occupation! I wonder if the company that manufactured the trekking pole that bent, replaced it for you? I forget which episode stated you were carrying 5 liters of water. That's a lot of weight and if you weren't winter hiking, you probably carry less now, since you began filtering water as your 46 went on. Definitely knew you were under-fueled for the Sewards/Seymour journey when you said what you picked up at the gas station in Saratoga, but you know that now too! :P Look forward to your next podcast.

Comment

• LakePlacid9er
                    LakePlacid9er commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the kind words! And I did contact Black Diamond and they sent me a new bottom section of the trekking pole so it’s back up and running. Regarding the amount of water I bring I’m not surprised it may seem like a lot. I basically have my 3 liter bladder, and then 2 nalegenes with water and nuun tablets. I probably could have brought less and pumped during the trip, but being my first time through the high peaks it was more of a “rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it” scenario...and yes my food situation on the Sewards was rough haha. Definitely didn’t have enough quality food...fortunately everything went ok but I was quite hungry when I got home that’s for sure! Thanks so much for listening!

• gebby
                    gebby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LakePlacid9er I'm with you on the post-meal Mickey D's! I crave it as well!

Lake Placid9er is the "David Sedaris" of the ADK's. Most entertaining and you have set a standard for audio chronicling of hiking experiences. Looking forward to your next adventures!

Comment

• LakePlacid9er
                    LakePlacid9er commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s very kind of you! More are in the works!

Season 2 of The 46 of 46 Podcast is available now! This season has me hiking all 9 peaks of the Winter Lake Placid 9íer Challenge. New mountains, new stories, new episodes! If you miss the sounds of snow crunching under your feet, this season is for you! Available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and more

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000438376774

Comment

Working...
                  X