Seymour and Seward 3/13/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour and Seward 3/13/19

Well after some other plans changed I thought I would head out and try to tackle Seymour and Seward (I have a surplus of Dons & Emms so didnít need the entire range). After seeing gebby ís report for DES and down the north side of Seward along with other info of people hiking Seymour I thought it would be a good opportunity to vulture some trails. So much for thinking.

I saw in the sign in register that Hear the Footsteps and a few others had done Seymour the day before so I was confident that I would have a good track on that one. I was hoping the track up Seward would still be good too. As I passed the turn off for the Seward trail on my way to Seymour I noticed it was snowed in pretty heavy. There was still evidence of a depression but I knew my day just got a little tougher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Start of Seward Herd Path.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	495337

Seymour went off without a hitch as expected. Ran into to 2 guys on my return right at the start of the herd path. I didnít expect to see anybody. Then it was off to Seward. It wasnít but a couple hundred yards when the depression disappeared. Looking around I would see up ahead where it looked like the track went. This went on for a few hundred feet of elevation but by 2500í there was no track whatsoever. I was surprised that any sign of the track would be totally gone in just 3 days.

Name:	Seymour.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	495335

Name:	Seward Path.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	495339

So now Iím navigating and breaking a new trail. I knew at times I was right on the regular herd path but I could tell the track wasnít because of how deep I was sinking. I kept hoping that the missing track would rejoin the regular path. Found numerous spruce traps but not the whole body sucking kind, just drop through with a shoe and have to wriggle out. Finally up high there is quite a stretch of open woods but itís very steep.

Name:	Seward Path_2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	495336

The hardest part was reaching the summit from the false, first summit. That summit sign is hard to find, and now it was clouded in and snowing. I thought I was near where the trail heads down the south side when I came to a fresh track in front of me and thought good, some one must have came from the Calkins way, Iíll follow their track to the sign. Then I realized it was my track and I had just walked in a circle and I was still on the first bump. It took me 3 hours to get to the top, averages to about a measly 10í/min.

Name:	Seward.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	495338

Finally after some major effort I managed to find the sign. At this point I was tired wet and chilled. As gnarly as the track was to get there I took no chances trying to find a better route back. As they say the devil you know is better than the devil you donít, so I backtracked it.

Ran into the 2 guys taking a break in the Bluberry lean-to, chatted again for a couple minutes and headed out. Rained for a while on the way out then turned into snow at about the Calkins jct. Just about 25 miles and 5600í, 12.5 hours.

Congrats Doug.

I was in the Sewards a lot this winter. SDE 4 times and S 5 times (one S just part way). I got to see them every winter month. They were just so beautiful this year. Pic from panorama uploaded from just below Seymour Summit.

On Tuesday I was in with a friend to finish a Winter 46. I'd already done more that a couple Seward/Seymour reports this year so I decided to take the day off . Our group followed another guy on Tuesday and he broke out and we packed down. Funny thing is he didn't go to the summit sign just to the viewing ledge and return. Same as rbalbs found when we went on March 2. I know your on Facebook (I'm not) maybe you should tell those guys that there is a sign to go to on Seymour (and signs or discs on all the other 'trailess' peaks).

Don

P.S. I took GPS loaded with a bunch of waypoints for Seymour. I was pleasantly surprised that the whole route was very close to the regular route.

P.S. P.S. I finally got to see the lumber truck in and out. He turned around and was coming out in an hour. Makes me wonder how many loads they did in a day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• DougV
      DougV commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I was suprised to see your name, It seemed like you'd been there a dozen times this winter, glutten for punishment. I was on Sawteeth a couple weeks ago and folowed a track that stopped at the first bump. Makes you wonder how many people blissfully check off a summit and never realize that they didn't make it.

The road hadn't been plowed since the snow. there had obviously been some traffic on it but I never saw a truck (or any vehicle). Never heard any chain saws or equipment running all day. On my way out it didn't look like anything had been on the road all day.

Sorry DougV that the trail wasn't still packed down and obvious, but from the looks of the Seward sign, I'm guessing there must have been six to ten inches of snow since we were there on Saturday. Your perseverance is admirable!

Comment

Originally posted by gebby View Post
      Sorry that the trail wasn't still packed down and obvious, but from the looks of the Seward sign, I'm guessing there must have been six to ten inches of snow since we were there on Saturday.
      Not as sorry as I was! Yes, every bit of 10" up high, maybe a foot. I expected a little, not that much.

Comment

Working...
      X