RPR/GIANT from New Russia 11/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPR/GIANT from New Russia 11/23

Well after a very filling Thanksgiving I set the alarm for the next days hike. Or I thought I set the alarm? My 5am wake up came and went without notice from me. In fact the first thing I "noticed" was Eric knocking at my door at 6:10am! Most of my stuff was in a pile I had, not so, carefully orchestrated the night before in my post Thanksgiving meal stupor. Food, tea, pack, go.
    Always good to start the day with a mishap. Usually this wouldn't be a big deal for the hike we have planned except for two things. The first was that we were meeting Highonlife and we would certainly be late. The second was that both Eric and Highonlife wanted to be off the mountain in time to do a little Black Friday shopping. Fortunately HOL had left me a message I didn't listen to letting me know she would also be late making us not as late?
    We met at the Giant trailhead on Rt 73 and left HOL's car there and Eric drove us around to New Russia. In that parking lot there were several vehicles but only one person, a teenager climbing RPR, had signed the register! We would later meet the group of hunters that owned these vehicles. The solo teenager came out of the trail as we were getting there and said he had forgot something and then headed back in. He would be in front of us for the first half of the day. After getting our act together WE SIGNED THE REGISTER and headed up the trail. Along the trail we found a mix of conditions from bare ground to mud to ice to snow and combinations of all. We met the group of hunters below Bald. They were taking a break and after a brief chat we passed. They seemed a bit surprised by our plan asking if we planned to finish before dark. It was like they knew I had overslept?
    As we climbed we could see that the person in front of us was using crampons. HOL did slap on some Microspikes which I believe she found helpful but Eric and I stayed in bare boots until Giant. The day was a great mix of sun and clouds. Some flurries at times. Ice coating all of the trees from the freezing rain the night before. I wondered if my alarm clock had been sealed in ice and I just couldn't hear it?
    We stopped at all the views along the way soaking in the sun and breeze. Chatting pleasantly. I know many here have said what fun hiking with HOL can be and I whole heartedly agree but I do have to say she isn't perfect. Turns out she both a Cowboys fan AND a Red Sox fan! We didn't stay too long on RPR. I think that was the coldest and windiest spot we encountered. We chose not to layer up but to get down in the trees for a short break. Eric and HOL were anxious to get on with their shopping. The only tracks we saw on this side of RPR were deer tracks so apparently the deer were several hours ahead of the hunters. A little more snow going up Giant and a fresh dusting. Snow was from 0-5 inches during the hike. Lots of ice. The sign at the juntion with the Giant trail was on the ground so Eric did best to prop it back up. HOL held us at gunpoint and made us drop our packs to go up Giant. She sometimes thinks she's a real Cowboy! Clouds blowing in and out for our brief stay on Giant. A great thing about this hike is that you don't need to stop at any one point for views since there are so many along the way. Safely back at our packs I put on Stabilicers and Eric crampons. In a few minutes HOL and I put on crampons as well. Trail from Giant down to the road would be tough without crampons right now. At times they were overkill but just when you thought about taking them off you needed them again. We did take them off down low but in hindsight I would have left them on as they would have been helpful all the way down. Thought we would run into someone but no one climbed Giant but us on this day. We got down with just enough time to get the shopping done. I did forget to sign us out of the register when HOL drove us back around to Eric's car. Great day to get out and walk up and down a few hills.
    Last edited by Rik; 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM.
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Nice report as always. This is the way I wanted to hike these two on Grace Day. I am glad we didnt now as we did not have many views except in the morning and late afternoon. I am definately going back and doing the traverse
    OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
    Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Nice report, Rik. Good trip. I was on Giant today so I'm gonna mooch of your trip report and share our thoughts on conditions too. Pretty much the same as you found. We found crampons mandatory for this one, I switched out of my stablicers near the first rocks

Incredibly nice day today with great views too. The sun made really warm though, so with our winter stuff on, we had to really make an effort to moisture manage. Not so bad, we took an easy, but steady pace with plenty of stops for pictures and the such (got some really nice ones). Before we knew it, we were on the summit (2:50ish)

The day got of to a bad start though as Num-num and Num-num Jr. started out with us and about 3/4 of the way up to the washbowl, Num-num lost a crampon to a busted rivet. They made it up to washbowl, but it was not fixable and it ended their day. Sucks, but if it makes them feel better, they made the right choice. Me and Nick went on at their insistence.

In the morning, the ICE was exactly as Rik described, but coming down, the ice on the slabs was coming off in sheets as the warmth of the sun heated the rocks underneath. It made for a few dicey moments but nothing that had us too worried. Actually, on the way down, just below where the rocks slabs start, there was this really exposed icy section that required great care. Me and Nick got down it, but just below it, we came across a couple canadian dudes, and one that had slipped and fallen in that spot. His ankle was definitely broken. One in their party had already went down to get help. We tried to get the rest to stay put till help came, but you know those damn canadians . It was already splinted with a few twigs but we got it duct taped and then we assisted the hurt one down the really steep sections above the washbowl. I had a rope in my pack and it came in handy lowering him down in spots. By this time, a couple ice skaters had come up from the washbowl and we all helped the injured party down to the washbowl. We left them at the bowl to await help coming up from the bottom and scooted on down. By the time we got down, a team of Rangers and rescue folks were just headed up to fetch him. I relayed everything I knew to them and we then we headed back to placid.

Interesting day to say the least. Oh yeah, A LOT more snow over on Pitchoff. I was surprised at how little snow was on Giant.

Thanks for letting me welch in. Oh yeah, some day I'll have to try to talk to HOL and get her to hike with us sometimes. This is like the 3rd-4th time she's gotten good reviews

Anyhow, sorry we missed you (by a day).
      Last edited by Mavs00; 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM.
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
        The day got of to a bad start though as Num-num and Num-num Jr. started out with us and about 3/4 of the way up to the washbowl, Num-num lost a crampon to a busted rivet. They made it up to washbowl, but it was not fixable and it ended their day. Sucks, but if it makes them feel better, they made the right choice. Me and Nick went on at their insistence.
        We'll get it fixed for sure, AND work on thinking of a way for a field fix. Thanks for sharing your day with us, you and Nick are an awesome duo. Turning around wasn't easy, but as you said was the right choice. @ 250ish you had some nice views!!

Rik, thanks for the TR, it provided great info for us.
        If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

With all that coating of Ice on Giant (from the summit all the way to the TH) I couldn't help but think so much how I wish we started at Giant rather than RPR.
          But then again seeing the friendly hunters on the trail to RPR was a great reminder to wear bright clothing until hunting season comes to an end.

Hiking with HOL was great, it was nice having someone else to join in the fun at Rik, being a Mets fan in all.

Many great views of the Dix range on Friday, very pituresque with the sun going down, clouds surrounding Dix and Hough.
          Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Comment

So who has the pics? I wanna see some pics! Did I say I wanna see some pics!!!!!! Thats right I wanna see some pics now
            OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
            Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Thanks for a great day guys...what a great traverse, can't wait to go back in the summer and do it again but who knows maybe this winter too, would love to finish my W46 this way!! The views are exceptional, hike was challenging, I was surprised to read it was 5300' of elevation gain

Eric, nice meeting you and thanks for teaching me the crampon strut..you really can move .

As for being a Redsox-Cowboy-Canadien fan, what can I say I have taste . teams I have liked since I was a child, what can I say. It was sure nice hiking with another Redsox fan though, far and few.. too be honest Rik even a Mets fan isn't bad, tolerable but a Yankee fan that is another story.

photos http://iamhighonlife.shutterfly.com/...w&linkid=link5
              Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
                Nice report, Rik. Good trip. I was on Giant today so I'm gonna mooch of your trip report and share our thoughts on conditions too. Pretty much the same as you found. We found crampons mandatory for this one, I switched out of my stablicers near the first rocks

Incredibly nice day today with great views too. The sun made really warm though, so with our winter stuff on, we had to really make an effort to moisture manage. Not so bad, we took an easy, but steady pace with plenty of stops for pictures and the such (got some really nice ones). Before we knew it, we were on the summit (2:50ish)

In the morning, the ICE was exactly as Rik described, but coming down, the ice on the slabs was coming off in sheets as the warmth of the sun heated the rocks underneath. It made for a few dicey moments but nothing that had us too worried. Actually, on the way down, just below where the rocks slabs start, there was this really exposed icy section that required great care. Me and Nick got down it, but just below it, we came across a couple canadian dudes, and one that had slipped and fallen in that spot. His ankle was definitely broken. One in their party had already went down to get help. We tried to get the rest to stay put till help came, but you know those damn canadians . It was already splinted with a few twigs but we got it duct taped and then we assisted the hurt one down the really steep sections above the washbowl. I had a rope in my pack and it came in handy lowering him down in spots. By this time, a couple ice skaters had come up from the washbowl and we all helped the injured party down to the washbowl. We left them at the bowl to await help coming up from the bottom and scooted on down. By the time we got down, a team of Rangers and rescue folks were just headed up to fetch him. I relayed everything I knew to them and we then we headed back to placid.

Interesting day to say the least. Oh yeah, A LOT more snow over on Pitchoff. I was surprised at how little snow was on Giant.

Thanks for letting me welch in. Oh yeah, some day I'll have to try to talk to HOL and get her to hike with us sometimes. This is like the 3rd-4th time she's gotten good reviews

Anyhow, sorry we missed you (by a day).

Would be happy to hike with you sometime, just pm me and we can go from there...

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post

Eric, nice meeting you and thanks for teaching me the crampon strut..you really can move .

Eric has now informed me that we might not be hiking this weekend. It seems that since reading this comment from HOL that he hasn't been able to get his inflated head into his car. If ice doesn't bring down the swelling then he may need to go back to driving a jeep. Way to go HOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik View Post
                    Eric has now informed me that we might not be hiking this weekend. It seems that since reading this comment from HOL that he hasn't been able to get his inflated head into his car. If ice doesn't bring down the swelling then he may need to go back to driving a jeep. Way to go HOL.
                    quick someone say something nice to Rik.
                    Jealous..Jealous. Jealous. I can't keep teaching you everything Rik
                    Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      quick someone say something nice to Rik.
                      Your head only looks big when you look directly at it Rik.
                      Be quick - but don't hurry. -John Wooden

Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett

Comment

Sorry Rik...but he can move

Comment

WE SIGNED THE REGISTER
                          Well, that's a relief.

Nice report. I really need to do that traverse some time.

Matt
                          "Why so many want to read about the world out-of-doors, when it's more interesting simply to go for a walk into the heart of it, I don't fully understand." -Edward Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
                            Sorry Rik...but he can move
                            When he has shopping to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X