Colden 2/8/19, Cascade/Porter 2/9/19, Marcy 2/10/19 35/46 for winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colden 2/8/19, Cascade/Porter 2/9/19, Marcy 2/10/19 35/46 for winter

Second time with my ADK chapter for the winter weekend for the group, but with no one really in pursuit of their "W", spent the first two days hiking alone. It was quite cold and blustery on Friday and Saturday with below zero summit temps and blowing wind, a bit less wind on Marcy, but still well below zero with wind chill. Lake Arnold trail apparently saw a posthole convention earlier in the week, as the trail was quite a mess. Some of the worst postholing I've ever seen! :( I'm sure the warmer temps and sun earlier in the week led to that devastation. New snow on the way will hopefully fix that up! Got up on the false summit for Colden to look in the distance in disbelief at how much further I had to go and thought about giving up as it was so cold and windy, but tucked back in to the woods and just kept moving. Was warm enough with just base layer and shell, but hand warmers were a real help on Friday! Summit of Colden is hard pack snow and the summit marker triangle was under a lot of snow! Disappointed that by the end of the day EVERY tooth on my MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes had snapped off. :( Slept like a stone, but was really dragging on Cascade and Porter on Saturday. I wondered if I would be up for Sunday's adventure! The trail is VERY icy and hard pack snow and worried for more than a few who were navigating without microspikes and had taken off their snowshoes. I encouraged them to walk in the snow just off trail with their snowshoes. There was a youth group, "Second Russell", I was told the name was and when I summited, there was a young man huddled behind a rock, too scared of heights to summit and still there when I came back. Helped him down by encouraging him to just follow my feet and get moving! Ice was easy to navigate on Cascade, with mostly bare rock as it is blown pretty much clean of snow up high. Dosed myself with vitamin I and vitamin T Saturday and I was ready for hoped for Marcy/Skylight/Gray, which turned out to be just Marcy on Sunday. Trail is nice and firm. Atop the summit it is hard pack snow with a firm glaze atop it and icy patches, but Hillsounds were sufficient to get up there. We had been looking at blue skies all morning, but as we approached clouds blew in around noon and cleared about a half hour after we came down. Was hiking with new people, one of whom just didn't have the energy to make the summit and came down to make sure she got out, rather than worry about her while some of us tried for Skylight and Gray. So wanted to try to get over to Gray on the massive, firm snow ridge that I had gazed upon from Colden on Friday. Some other time. Great weekend!
    Attached Files

I was looking forward to your TR. Nice job on a cold & windy weekend.

Your chapter came up for all three days and only hiked one of the days?

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the folks in the group either already have their "W" or don't really have it as a goal. I'm in hot pursuit! They had easier hikes of Mt. Jo and out to Avalanche Lake.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Ah, gotcha.
      You're in striking distance!
      Gonna try to get them all in the next 5 weeks?

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Learning The Trails It's a possibility, but I'm not going to try to force it. Depends on weather and the granting of hall passes from the boss!
Working...
X