Seymour 2-10-19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour 2-10-19

My second shot at Seymour this month a success. Nobody there since me.

Some key points
    -The Road Walk is very icy.
    -The trail to Ward Brook LT is good, a little uneven from being tracked then rained on then frozen. Not much snow if you look at the tree wells. Two places I had to find alternative water crossings but not too difficult to find.
    -My tracks to Seymour from 2-1 survived and are in good condition. No ice.
    -I had one dead end track while climbing, same place I've run into problems before. On the way out I gathered some downed branches and made a fence.
    -I'd broken out to above the wide part of the slide. Above it was fantastic. Seems to be Magic Crust. Again no ice. I was able to follow the path for the most part. Near to the summit where's there some excess snow and I had to re-find the path.
    -On the summit I was looking down on the sign and could touch the old one with my pole.
    -There'd been one hiker signed in for Seward Range on 2-9. He didn't climb via Caulkins Brook. Went up from near Blueberry LT. Not sure what he finished - didn't sign-out at the register. Though I saw tracks in and out and the parking area was empty when I arrived.

Some pictures attached.

Don
    Attached Files

Good for you!
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Yeh! Second time was the charm. Nice going Don.
      Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Nice job Don! That does indeed look like magic crust. On the other hand walking on a hard trail like that all day is probably not the most fun or comfortable. Based on what you saw are you still planning to knock off the rest of the Sewards this month?

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          Sewards are done now. I decided that it had to be the next day once I experienced the conditions on Seymour.

Nice pictures , nice hike . Was wondering in your middle picture what body of water and peaks are you looking back at going up ??

Comment

Originally posted by jes99786 View Post
          Was wondering in your middle picture what body of water and peaks are you looking back at going up ??
          That would be Ampersand Lake and the similarly named mountain behind it.

Comment

• jes99786
            jes99786 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you . That is a great view,

Nice going, Don. A good "education" for aspiring winter 46ers who are always looking for a broken-out trail.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            The solution to over use is 6 miles of icy road.
        Working...
        X