Sawteeth 2-4-2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawteeth 2-4-2019

Hiked Sawteeth via Rainbow Falls on 2-4-2019. Amazing warm and cold breezes on me as I walked up Lake Rd around 8am Tuesday morning. So nice out. The trip from car to summit was wet, sloshy and soft. It got old pretty fast. Made it to the Rainbow Falls turn off and began to head up. Trail was broken but as mentioned very very soft. I wore MSR Lightning Ascent 25's all day. Fell through up to my thigh many many many many times. Made it to the Pyramid/ Sawteeth junction and couldn't be happier to see I was only .5 of a mile away. Also noticed that Pyramid was only .6 away. Thought maybe I'd grab that after. Dropped pack at the junction and started up the steepest section of trail I'd encountered all day with much energy. For some reason I felt about 25 pounds lighter. Oh yeah. I left the pack, haha, felt realllllly good. Started to get high and some beautiful views opened up behind me. When I saw the monstrous size and steepness of Pyramid it took me all of about 2 seconds to realize that getting her would be some other day. Made it to the Sawteeth summit. Explored around. Took large amounts of pictures. Would have stayed longer but the wind was massive and non stop. Sometimes almost blowing me right over. Headed down, grabbed pack and began the 1.8 miles back to Lake Road. Made it down without incident and began the slog back to the car. Made it to the register and signed out after what felt like forever. I noticed a few groups were attempting Blake, Colvin, Dial and Nippletop and had not signed out yet. Hoped and prayed the best for them and walked to the car quick. Was a great trip. Not one sketchy spot. Not one scary spot. Not one other soul all day. Saw exposed ice twice and it was so minimal it didn't even matter. Whole lower range finally completed (besides Pyramid which will make a killer sunrise this summer.) Three year hiking anniversary on February 8th for me. #20 of 46 completed. Not quite half but just to hit the 20's feels good. On to 30 now. Few more people/groups up that trail and it should be a consolidated highway. That climb is so moderate and not scary. I was expecting steep and scary stuff after hearing and reading lots of stories. I'd quickly reccommend Sawteeth as a beginner hike as opposed to Giant any day. I guess people dont because of the mileage. Still crazy easy if you're not continually pulling yourself out of a hole like I was. Bluebird day all day though. Crazy movements in the skies. Rainbow Falls is amazzzzing! Super happy for my first and hopefully not last winter hike of 2019.

Photo Here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tu6ty01t2...eTvpfL4Xa?dl=0

Great TR! Sawteeth is a funky little peak and I think if you go back you'll be happy that your first experience up there was during the winter with views. During the summer the trail from the col to the summit is pretty gnarly in a couple spots, mostly due to a shocking amount of erosion on the steeper bits. Pyramid on the other hand, is much easier and closer than it initially looks. That 1/2 mile section of trail is more reminiscent of the Algonquin trail just above Mac Falls. Its rough and steep enough to get you sucking wind but there's nothing technical about it. People make a big fuss out Gothics but IMO Pyramid offers some of the best views in the ADK.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive heard people say the same for Blake. Just for reference later on down the road... Any others that may be "easier" in winter compared to summer? Sometimes steeps parts just turn into easily navigable snow ramps. I can dig it haha.

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      salt That depends on whether you're interested in completing any of your hike in the dark or the conditions are fast enough to avoid it. Marshall (as with the rest of the Macs) would be right at the top of that list IMO. If you've got some good packed snow with enough base depth you can cruise up those peaks in the winter. Allen would be a good one for this category but with this year's roller coaster conditions I'm not sure if you'll get the right combination of packed trails and good surface material on the slide. The only other peaks that are coming to mind as "easier" in the winter are Phelps and WF/Esther, but like everything else they're very condition dependent.

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Marshall & Colden were the original plan for this week but I woke up early and saw trillium Gothics attempt post citing the conditions on those trails. Sawteeth had been on mind forever so just decided to switch it up. Marshall and/or Colden (I think) are gonna be next. Allen, well Allen may be next year, haha. Thanks for the tips. Always appreciated

Nice TR. Sawteeth is a great hike. I thought it was pretty easy in the Summer. I will slightly disagree with FF&B and say the erosion isn't really "shocking."
    Either Sawteeth or Giant ranks tops for peaks that I've seen the most little kids on... (Whiteface doesn't count).

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, was a longish trip for me but in the end a success nevertheless. I will say this much. I have no earthly desire to try Giant in winter knowing it well (3 summer checks.) Sawteeth was a cake walk compared to what I'd imagine Giant in winter to be. (*visions of woman sliding fast and uncontrollably past Neil and landing in a face down position or worse.) No way. I'm good.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      No doubt. Giant is an a$$ kicker. Imagine if it wasn't near a road!!! Yikes!

Sawteeth was one where we weren't even off the mountain and my daughter was already talking about wanting to go back.

Also need to mention, I had debated tacking on Pyramid and left it as an "in game decision." After getting a good view of it from Teeth, I too was like "No thanks, we'll get that another day."

A birdhouse on Sawteeth summit? Or ornament?

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Full of seed. Couldn't hate it. Wasnt even painted. Just wood and seed. Little treat I guess

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably qualifies as a non conforming structure to be taken down .

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Hear the Footsteps I just leave what I see unless its a cliff bar wrapper or water bottle. Innocent civilian over here

Yeah, what's up with the birdhouse?

Glad you got hiking! Needs to get colder so you can go back to the skull mask, which was way cooler than your kangaroo hat.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 266/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. That hat is like 20 years old. I love both. And yes thanks I totally did need to get out. Some cold weather and no precipatation would be great up there, a lot of trails are knocked out but it appears that warmer weather has them melting already :(

Great job making the top with the conditions. nice pics, they reminded me of when I tried sawteeth last winter and I couldn't make the last 0.1 or 0.2 due to conditioning and conditions, but when I made up my mind to turn back i found a good spot and just sat there staring in awe at the range in the winter, despite being bummed at not making the top even though being so close it was still very peaceful just taking in the upper/pyramid/lower, and i finally realized I had to get moving again because my rear and upper legs were completely numb. I loved being offset to the range and pyramid and still close enough to get a real good look at it, and I liked that view there better in the winter than in the summer.
    In the summer sawteeth was a cakewalk compared to my winter ordeal, I didn't think the trail was too bad erosion-wise relative to other trails, some fun scrambles on the exposed rock. When you hit pyramid if in the summer probably check out sawteeth again quick for the no-snow version. Definitely agree on recommending it for children or relative beginners. road warmup/cool down and lake/falls/add-on options in the area.
    Great idea for sunrise on pyramid. I need those just west of there, epic day: amr/pyramid sunrise/cables/sa/ba/ha/ba/sa/cables/pyramid sunset/amr.
    You punch through to the water at the crossing or someone else?
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly know how far one can go"
    T.S. Eliot

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Bummer not to make it but sounds like you made up for it later on Water was like that but I took full advantage and filled up the hydroflask. Even the Waterboy never drank water that pure

Nice report. I think it really depends on conditions in winter as to whether you feel something is easy or hard. When I did Sawteeth it had just snowed significantly and I was wading through hip high snow with every step. I definitely didn't think it was easy that day! :P

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats sort of where I was at. Not every step but every other or every three steps. That part was what made it tough. The grade was fine. I basically did the whole trail 1000 ft at a time. Haha.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      What threw me is saying it's a "beginner hike". I don't think that's how I would describe it is all.

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess its all an individual thing. People call Giant a beginner hike and IMHO this was waaaaay easier for me. Nothing even close to steep or scary. Winter or summer, I know theres some spots on Giant that will make a person think twice.

Nice trip report and photos. I enjoyed them!

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir. Just doin my job

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
    Great TR! Sawteeth is a funky little peak and I think if you go back you'll be happy that your first experience up there was during the winter with views. During the summer the trail from the col to the summit is pretty gnarly in a couple spots, mostly due to a shocking amount of erosion on the steeper bits. Pyramid on the other hand, is much easier and closer than it initially looks. That 1/2 mile section of trail is more reminiscent of the Algonquin trail just above Mac Falls. Its rough and steep enough to get you sucking wind but there's nothing technical about it. People make a big fuss out Gothics but IMO Pyramid offers some of the best views in the ADK.
    I agree that the erosion on the half-mile to the summit of Sawteeth is pretty bad. Deep trench much of the way. It happens when the typical ADK trail goes straight up a ridge. Also agree on assessment of Pyramid. After Scenic Trail we were happy to head down from the col an call it a day.

Comment

I remember one section of Pyramid that was kinda nutty. It was like a 40 or 50 foot section of angled rock that looked like a nasty fall if you blew it. My son is not so good with the rock scrambling and I was happy he was not with me.
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        Definetly gonna make Pyramid a sunrise summer hike. I'll have to keep my eyes out for that or any sections like it. Thanks for the tip

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        salt Pyramid is probably best as a sunSET hike, the spot with the best view looks to the West towards Basin. But of course there are views on all sides, they just lack a little sitting ledge.

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        autochromatica duly noted, thank you sir

Originally posted by salt View Post
      Few more people/groups up that trail and it should be a consolidated highway.
      Confirmed! As of yesterday, the entire trail is hard-packed - altough it will be another story by mid-week. Thank you for providing this TR which convinced me to go there.

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem. Glad it helped. Sorry for some of those snowshoe holes. Nothing I could do to prevent it from happening. Glad it was a success for you.

Thanks for the post, I was thinking of doing this hike solo on the weekend of 2/24 your trail description has me motivated.
      thx

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        Conditions by then could be much different. I would check in on the forum closer to the date of the trip to confirm conditions if possible. Definetly a very doable peak. Best of luck.
    Working...
    X