Dix: By accident and default, 9/28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix: By accident and default, 9/28

A little overdue but I have been very busy with work and school.

This was my first trip to any of the southern trailheads. It was raining, but due to my job, if I put in for a day I really can't cancel it. So in I went in the rain, which broke before I hot the first lean-to site. I went in with the intent of doing the Dix range minus Dix itself. When I reached Lillian Brooke I sat down and pulled out my map while I took my first rest and snack. Bad news indeed.. I missed the trail I intended on taking. I took the next best option which was to do Dix itself.

This was a long haul up Dix and when I thought I was approaching the summit, there was an interesting optical illusion. The rock face is covered with moss and there was some fog and cloud at the summit. This made the rock face look like a summit about a 1/2 mile away. I about died inside. As I continued I soon realized it was an optical illusion. Despite the sun doing it's best, I spent a little while at the summit in a cloud. I did have nice views on the way up and down to the south. The foliage was close to peak. The ponds and lakes were a new sight. The hike out seemed to last forever, and ever. I put my headlamp on shortly before the end.

Dix was impressive and I may choose to hike it again from the north after my completion. I'm a bit obsessed with what Moosebeware calls "redlining" my map. The evening and next day were one of many enjoyable times in Lake Placid which will proves to be one of my favorite places.

None of these peaks come easy to me. Each one is earned at some point. I will get there though.

Yikes! You overshot your turn by close to a mile and a half if you reached the Lillian Brook before stopping, assuming you were planning on taking the Slide Brook trail. So did you take the Hunter's Pass trail the whole way up to the Dix trail? That's a real long walk in the woods. The good news is that if you tag the other four peaks in the summer it'll feel like about the same amount of work.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
      Yikes! You overshot your turn by close to a mile and a half if you reached the Lillian Brook before stopping, assuming you were planning on taking the Slide Brook trail. So did you take the Hunter's Pass trail the whole way up to the Dix trail? That's a real long walk in the woods. The good news is that if you tag the other four peaks in the summer it'll feel like about the same amount of work.
      I was looking for the slide brook trailhead, missed it completely. Saw it clear as day ON THE WAY BACK!

After Lillian Brooke I went up the beckhorn route and back down. The loop seemed to long

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        How were the conditions near the top of the Beckhorn route?

Originally posted by FortySixer View Post
      I'm a bit obsessed with what Moosebeware calls "redlining" my map.
      For those looking to redline the High Peaks trails there is a little-known challenge out there that requires just that. http://www.transadk.com/

You need to buy the book "Among the Cloud Splitters: Place Names of High Peaks Wilderness Area" to get the checklist but the book is an interesting read so don't feel bad about the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post

For those looking to redline the High Peaks trails there is a little-known challenge out there that requires just that. http://www.transadk.com/

You need to buy the book "Among the Cloud Splitters: Place Names of High Peaks Wilderness Area" to get the checklist but the book is an interesting read so don't feel bad about the purchase.

Beyond the 240-mile Trans Adirondack Route, Friends of the Trans Adirondack Route offers an even stiffer challenge: hike every mile of established foot trail within High Peaks Wilderness Area.

The trail system of this 193,000-acre wilderness area totals 268 miles via 79 trails ranging from 0.1 miles to 33.2 miles in length. During a quest to hike every mile a hiker will visit the state's tallest rock face (700-foot-tall Wallface Cliff), highest peak (5,344-foot Mount Marcy), highest body of water (Lake Tear of the Clouds at 4,318 feet), and summit eighteen High Peaks. Beyond these grand features a hiker will visit remote bodies of water, churning rivers, silent forests, and the nicest campsites in the park.

To get started, consult the chapter "Modern Explorers -- Trails" in Among the Cloud Splitters: Place Names of High Peaks Wilderness Area, which is available through the Merchandise page of this website. This chapter contains the complete list of trails with accompanying mileages. Once you hike every mile of trail, click on the Buy Now tab below. You'll be directed to a link where you can order your official trail completer patch and official completer certificate for $15, which includes shipping. Once we receive your order we'll add your name to the official completer roster below.

Oh, and congratulations!

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting. I now see the URLs are the same for all pages of that web site. You have to click on the "HPWA Trails" tab at the top of the page to get to what FortySixer just posted here.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Does this include herd paths, such as Allen and Gray?

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          No, it does not. Just the marked/maintained trails within the High Peaks Wilderness.

And now I wonder if the merger of the Dix Wilderness into the High Peaks Wilderness changes the list/challenge. Perhaps I'll shoot an e-mail to the guy who cooked this thing up.

Originally posted by FortySixer View Post
        I'm a bit obsessed with what Moosebeware calls "redlining" my map.
        Well then you need to do several trips in the Dixes to redline.

Don

Comment

Soooo....Anthony Scaramucci did the thru-hike in 2017??? Hmmm That guy was everywhere...

Comment

Glad you were able to get out again. I've only climbed the Beckhorn trail in winter, but imagine it is a nice route along the ridge. It is a long day. Mr. MB and I skied in to LB and then up Beckhorn and down Hunter's Pass and back out. It was a 12-hour day, one of our longest.

Happy Hiking!
            -C
            #8335W, Solo Winter 46
            ADK Quest #119
            ADK Fire Tower Challenge
            NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
            Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Working...
            X