Just Cascade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Cascade

My girlfriend Meadowsweet has decided to hike the Northeast 111 before she turns 80. She's also decided to add the additional requirement to only count one peak per hike. On Monday the 12th she climbed her second NE111, and her first ADK46, Cascade.

It was a little cloudier than the day before, but still nice and not very cold weather. The trail was very packed down the whole way. We were on microspikes the whole way, except for the summit rocks, which we bare booted.

A lot of people and a few dogs passed us during the day.

Meadowsweet is slow but determined going uphill. When we got to the summit rocks she was a little shaken by the exposure, but she worked through it and made it to the summit.

The views were incredible, as I'd promised her.

Meadowsweet surprised me by how fast she descended. I took a spill at one point and banged up my knee a bit and was therefore moving pretty slowly myself for a while, and was wondering when I'd be able to catch up to her. The knee got better soon, though, and I finally found her.

It got dark before we finished; we were hiking by headlamp for the last quarter mile or so.

I'd already hiked Cascade in my 60s, so this didn't affect my lists, but, as I said, it was Meadowsweet's 2nd NE111 and 1st ADK46.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
    NE111 in my 60s: 60/115 (47/67, 12/46, 1/2)
    NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
    LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Congratulations to Meadowsweet on #2.
    You know, not sure that I'd noticed the first view (Pic 4) toward Colden before. Seems by elevation difference pretty low on the climb. Any idea where you took that?
    Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
      Any idea where you took that?
      Not really. The pictures are in chronological order, so it's below where all the beard lichen is.

--

Cumulus

LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
      - Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        OK thanks. At least scoping this out is reason enough to go back.

Cumulus and Meadowsweet,

Congratulations! It looks like you had a fine day at 4000'! Excellent photos and TR as always.

I'm not sure if you'll remember me, but we corresponded several years ago when I solo climbed Liberty and Flume (5.12.11) and mistakingly descended the actual Flume slide rather than the Flume Slide Trail. (Obviously, not one of my best route choices and so relieved that it worked out well, but I do remember our candid conversations.) Best wishes to you and Meadowsweet!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Hogan View Post
        I'm not sure if you'll remember me, but we corresponded several years ago when I solo climbed Liberty and Flume (5.12.11) and mistakingly descended the actual Flume slide rather than the Flume Slide Trail.
        Yeah, I remember that.

--

Cumulus

LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

- Lewis Carroll

Comment

One peak per hike. That is every bit as impressive as completing the NE111 itself. Are you going to complete this with her and tie it in to your completion of the NEHH?
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
            One peak per hike. ... Are you going to complete this with her and tie it in to your completion of the NEHH?
            Not explicitly, but until she gets up to speed I'll be with her for all of her hikes.

--

Cumulus

LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

- Lewis Carroll

Comment

What a great job! Congrats and good luck to Meadowsweet on her journey. Great pics!
              And because of all their tears
              Their eyes can't hope to see
              The beauty that surrounds them
              Isn't it a pity
              -George Harrison

Comment

Working...
              X