Just Wright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Wright

I wrote in the register, "Wright, maybe Alg., maybe Iro.". I expected it would be W and A but not I, given that I didn't have the earliest start.

This was last weekend, on Sunday the 11th. It had snowed Friday and Saturday in the Adirondacks. There was only a few inches down below, but by the time I got to the treeline it was more like six to eight inches. I was on microspikes up to the waterfall, where I switched to snowshoes. I met a lot of other hikers that day, but I was the only one on snowshoes, even up high.

The weather was fine, mostly clear and not very cold at all. I was, for some reason, moving very slow. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because I've been doing less hiking than usual lately and am not in as good shape as usual.

I turned up to Wright when I got to the intersection. I had a bit of difficulty getting up that rock just below the treeline, but I did it. It was very windy above the treeline, but not actually very cold. I never put on all of the layers I'd brought. The wind was from the west, so on my back going up. It wasn't always easy to find the trail, but there were cairns and I could see the summit up ahead.

On the summit the view was sharp and unobscured. I found a recess in the leeward side of the summit rock and hung out for a while.

On the way down the wind was in my face, so I put on my goggles. Climbing down the big rock was even harder than climbing up; I ended up just dropping the last couple feet.

All the way up and down Wright I kept going back and forth in my mind on whether or not to climb Algonquin. When I got back to the intersection I decided not to. The weather was OK for going, and I know I was physically capable of it, but I was going so slowly that I would be very late getting back to my girlfriend waiting for me at the B&B in Lake Placid.

I switched back to microspikes a little below the waterfall, and got back to the trailhead a little before sunset.

Wright was number 60, out of 115, in my quest to resummit the Northeast 111 in my 60s.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
    NE111 in my 60s: 60/115 (47/67, 12/46, 1/2)
    NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
    LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Thank you for the write up and pics for this one and cascade, those are some amazing pictures.

Comment

Working...
    X