9/12 Seward Range w/o Seymour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/12 Seward Range w/o Seymour

I left the 'burbs 9/11 and headed towards the Sewards via Warrensburg, Indian Lake, and Tupper Lake. What an awesome ride. I took my time and took note of some other trail heads along the way. I arrived at Corey's Rd a few hours before sunset and set up shop at site #9. I was glad to get this one again. I stayed there a few weeks ago for a night. I was just passing through the area though, and didn't do any hiking there. Had a nice dinner and a few glasses of bourbon with a fire going. Just as it was getting dark, the coyotes started their yippin'. But it only lasted about 15 minutes or so. Set the alarm for 5:30am and hit the sack. I hardly needed the sleeping bag as it was a pretty warm night (or the bourbon was hard at work).

Quick cup of coffee and I was off to the trail head. Woke up a deer that was bedded down just feet off the dirt road. Hunting season is right around the corner and seeing her whet my whistle good.

Signed it at 6am sharp and hit the trail with the headlamp on for the first half hour. Turned right for Calkin's Brook truck trail and kept my eyes open for the legal campsite. I never did see it but didn't really want to spend anytime looking too hard. Turned left on the Calkin's Brook trail. Spider web facials were the hot item of the day. I was sprinkled on pretty much all morning, but never was uncomfortable.

Summited Donaldson, took a quick pic of the sign, and motored on. Hit Emmons shortly after, same deal. Quick pic and gone. There were no sights to see as the peaks were in the clouds. Leaving Emmons, I was feeling really good and made great time back to Donaldson and then to Seward. I really enjoyed the walk to Seward from Donaldson. Some really neat rock climbs and I was in a great mood despite the dreary weather.

I decided to go down the Seward Mt trail. This trail really slowed me down big time. First off, I got thrown off the trail at the cliffs. instead of making the sharp left to hug the cliffs, I continued straightish as I thought I saw the trail continue that way. I was being stubborn for a while and kept moving forward trying to pick up the trail. Eventually, I told myself that I better turn around and look again, before I get myself too deep. I eventually found my way back and took the right way. Then the trail got steep and slick in areas. Then I finally saw my first human of the day. Our very own Doug V. I met him once during my ascent of Big Slide (my #2). We talked for a few minutes and said farewell, The trail continued its steepness for quite a while. I've learned to navigate descents pretty well this year, but still not great with steep and slick. Once the steepness let up, then it was the mud's turn. No need to even try to avoid it. Just plow through it. I did eat it pretty good on one spot though. Went in over my knees and luckily there was a nice root nearby to pull me out. I really don't know how much farther I would have gone in. Anyway, I just laughed it off and finished down the trail. I'm embarrassed to say, it took me about 2 hours to descend Seward.

Finally down to the Ward Brook trail, I turned left back towards the trail head. What an awesome and lazy trail. I can't wait to do it again when I do Seymour. I could have done that as well, but I loved the drive up and camping on Corey's that I decided to save Seymour for another trip to see this awesome place again. Walking back, I thought I saw the biggest squirrel ever, until it stopped and looked at me. Turned out to be a pine marten (picture to come). We stood and stared at each other for a good 3 minutes. He gave me opportunity to pull out my phone and snap a fuzzy pic, then we continued on with our day.

Signed out at about 3pm and made the 3 hour drive back home. This trip made #'s 16, 17, and 18 for me. I'm not sure if I'll make any more trips this year with hunting season coming up quickly, but my legs are ready for much more. Hopefully I can sneak one more trip in. My only issues are my knees (once the hike is over) and a slight high ankle sprain that I've been dealing with for about a month now. I've surpassed my goal of 16 for this year, so anything more is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for reading.

TW
    19/46
    11/12

A few pics.

19/46
    11/12

Comment

19/46
      11/12

Comment

Very nice. FYI I did the exact same thing as you coming down Seward, only it was winter and Iím more stubborn than you so bushwhacked over to the trail rather than back up.
        ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 262/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

• tumbleweed
          tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          haha. I was really tempted to whack it but being in a drizzle all day can stifle the sense of adventure a little bit. If I ever do this loop again, I'll go clockwise and go up this trail.

Originally posted by tumbleweed View Post
        I'm embarrassed to say, it took me about 2 hours to descend Seward.
        It took me two hours or more too but I am pretty slow. I am not so sure even a fast hiker could do it too much faster and not break their neck....

Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
        ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

The north side of Seward (or Sewer, as I call it from that side) is one of those peaks that seems to take me about the exact same amount of time to get down as it does to get up. The Ward Brook trail is awesome during this time of year. In early summer, not so much. On my first trip out there (in mid-June) a lot of that trail was still holding onto its "seasonal swamps," some of which were no less than 50 yards across. That was also an interesting year because Seward itself was still holding onto a decent amount of snow up high.

Great TR and very cool that you were able to knock those three off your list early on. What's your go-to basecamp bourbon?
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• tumbleweed
            tumbleweed commented
            Editing a comment
            ha. Knob Creek 120 is my go to. Decent price, goes down smooth, and lots of kick. But it was 1792 small batch for this trip. It's on the cheaper end and a little rougher on the tongue, but it works pretty good!

• ndru
            ndru commented
            Editing a comment
            Knob Creek is my favorite waterway.

Hey Tumbleweed nice running into you again. Wow what a wet day! I ran into 2 guys on my way down right at the Calkins Seward jct. and 1 guy on his way in about a half mile from the parking lot about 4:30 PM. There were a couple people in the Ward Brook lean-to when I went past to go up Seymour and when I came down around 10:00 AM they were still in there! That's all I saw all day. Who says there's no solitude in the high peaks, pick the Sewards on a miserable wet Wednesday in September and you'll find plenty!

Comment

• tumbleweed
            tumbleweed commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the 2 guys in the lean-to were staying 4 nights according to the register. I'm way too antsy to stay that long in one place and only do 4 close by peaks. Hope we meet again.
        Working...
        X