Pics from Sawteeth 9/5/18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics from Sawteeth 9/5/18

I was up in NY for my last bit of summer vacation and had really wanted to get another high peaks hike in. Unfortunately with other plans it pushed hiking back to last week and it just so happened to be 90-some degrees. But like usual we just 'roll with the punches' if we want to hike. Mom took vacation to hike with me, and we decided on Sawteeth. We had originally wanted to include Pyramid (neither of us had been on Pyramid yet) but ended up excluding it. I had hiked Sawteeth once while I was in high school, so this wasn't needed for my 46 finish but my next goal was hiking all 46 barefoot so I've incremented that count to 26 with the addition of this Sawteeth hike. Plus it had been so long I really had no memory of it so it was like a new peak to me. Side note: I haven't yet reported on my 4-day hike that took me from 39 to 44 back in July... that will be coming soon but lots more pics and much longer post so I'm doing this dayhike first as its fresh in my mind.

We camped at nearby Wilmington Notch campground so we could have a somewhat casual morning and Dad got to bring the camper. He hasn't been able to hike anymore, but he likes camping and cooking for us. We drove out and set up the camper Tuesday (day after Labor Day). Wednesday morning we parked at the lot in St. Huberts / Ausable Club around 8am and were pleased to see only around 3 cars in both lots. Wow with all the talk of overcrowding it was nice to see a practically empty lot on a beautiful sunny summer day! I guess it's true just how fast things die down after Labor Day. At the sign-in we were the first of the day for Sawteeth.

We decided to take the road and the scenic trail up. If we made great time we could take the trails back or tack on Pyramid, but we wanted to get to the summit first and then see how much time we had left and how much the heat would slow us down.

Here are some pics... if I figured out the image thing they should link to larger resolution images if you have a larger or 4k monitor...

Yours truly on the way up Sawteeth Scenic Trail.

Clouds started rolling in, but didn't do much to help the heat we were hiking in.

13-image panorama from Marble Point outlook.

Going up the scenic trail, the sun seemed to always be in a bad spot for photography, all the way up first part of Sawteeth the Colvin range was quite shaded and the sun was glaring into the camera from just above the range, but some of the pics turned out good enough to post with a lot of tweaking.

We reached the summit around 2pm. Rested for a minute and ate our lunch. We hadn't seen another soul all the way up the trail, but about 5 minutes on top and a group of 6-8 guys shows up. I took some shots with the camera and chatted for a few, then we proceeded on towards Gothics to take the Beaver Meadow Trail down. I asked them which trail they were taking back and they were doubling back down the Scenic Trail. They did not know there was another trail down. Good news for us who like our solitude. We wished them well and started to head off, and once again did not see another soul all the way back to the trailhead on this beautiful day.

Shot towards Basin from Sawteeth.

Just loved the views of The Great Range! But the sun followed us from across the valley to now the other side of Sawteeth and tried to wash out my photos in the afternoon too.

Debating adding Pyramid/Gothics. It's only one more mile... but it's a long way up

Cell phone panorama trying to see how it would handle the bright sun lurking just out of view, not too bad I guess.

Stats for the trip, except the duration is deceiving, as it was 10 hours round trip. It auto pauses while still, but I don't think 5hrs active time is anywhere near close.

On the way down we stopped by Rainbow Falls, something I'd really been looking forward too. But the dry summer had left it at only a trickle. Will have to visit it again after some rain another time. I appreciated the mostly dry trail though, quite a change from the usual mud slog I end up with on most my other hikes! We decided just to take the road back again, it was late, the heat had slowed us down and Mom hadn't done much hiking this year, this was her only real mountain so far this year. Such a nice trip and some great views!
    44/46 Almost there!!
    26/46 barefoot ;-)
    ~Tristan

Lovely! That Scenic Trail is worth it.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 262/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
      Lovely! That Scenic Trail is worth it.
      Agreed- one of the most spectacular trails in the HP, and the view from the "Balcony" just past the Sawteeth summit on the way to Wedge Brook/Pyramid/Gothics is incredible...

Comment

wonder if we crosses paths. Saturday I took west river trail and then went up Scenic to Sawteeth, Pyramid and Gothics and down Beaver Meadow falls trail and out road. Elated! Overwhelmed with gratitude for these stunning mountains and mosses we are so privileged to be a fleeting part of.
        It was a perfect day in a perfect place. The smile still hasnít worn off . Sound like you had a great time too! See ya on the trail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you found my buddies bifocal sunglasses at beaver meadow falls, lemme know.
          Thanks,
          John

Comment

How long did it take to get comfortable hiking barefoot?
            Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
            Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
            Past President Catskill 3500 Club
            CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Jnolan View Post
              wonder if we crosses paths. Saturday I took west river trail and then went up Scenic to Sawteeth, Pyramid and Gothics and down Beaver Meadow falls trail and out road. Elated! Overwhelmed with gratitude for these stunning mountains and mosses we are so privileged to be a fleeting part of.
              It was a perfect day in a perfect place. The smile still hasnít worn off . Sound like you had a great time too! See ya on the trail...

We only came across one group the entire day, at the summit of Sawteeth. Unless the heat was effecting my memory lol. Oh wait you said Saturday... we hiked Wednesday.
              That is the route I would have liked to take, but being in the 90's that day and my Mom's first high peak of the year we just could pull off that big of a hike. Looks like you had nice weather!
              44/46 Almost there!!
              26/46 barefoot ;-)
              ~Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                How long did it take to get comfortable hiking barefoot?
                It's hard to gauge 'comfortable', and length of time is just one measure... there is also how many miles I did barefoot first. But my first big high peaks hike barefoot was approximately two years of barefoot running, and maybe 1200-1500 miles ran barefoot (I didn't record miles exactly back then). But that hike and the next years hike I had to supplement a little sandal wearing in spots. It was a couple more years and a couple thousand miles later and a few high peaks climbs before lets say hiking the Dix range was a piece of cake (including all that rock on Macomb slide). Got to make up for years of getting soft in shoes, it's definitely something that takes time and patience to acclimate to. But they feel so amazingly strong and tough now. The last pair of hiking boots I've bought was around 2008, though I'd probably have to buy some new ones if I ever come up in the winter!
                44/46 Almost there!!
                26/46 barefoot ;-)
                ~Tristan

Comment

Likely doing this route on Saturday with my wife. Is there anywhere nearby, other than South Meadows Rd, that we can car camp and hit up the trail early saturday morning?

Comment

• Adirondackiteer
                    Adirondackiteer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't been to them but Sharp Bridge and Lincoln Pond DEC campgrounds are close but only open May-Sept I think, if your talking about doing it soon that wouldn't work.

Originally posted by dicknavid View Post
                  Likely doing this route on Saturday with my wife. Is there anywhere nearby, other than South Meadows Rd, that we can car camp and hit up the trail early saturday morning?
                  I have seen people car camp at the Boquet bridge on 73, at the start of the Grace path.

Comment

Originally posted by dicknavid View Post
                    .... Is there anywhere nearby, other than South Meadows Rd, that we can car camp and hit up the trail early saturday morning?
                    My reply is probably far too late for you but: Near Chapel Pond.
                    https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=....1428/-73.7507

Go slow because the entrance is easy to miss and the road is uneven. The two sites closest to the highway are drive-up sites. The two closer to the pond are a short (uphill) hike from the dirt road.
                    Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

My reply is probably far too late for you but: Near Chapel Pond.
                      https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=....1428/-73.7507

Go slow because the entrance is easy to miss and the road is uneven. The two sites closest to the highway are drive-up sites. The two closer to the pond are a short (uphill) hike from the dirt road.
                      Yes, a little late, but this is super helpful going forward. Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                      X