Nippletop Mountain (The other one) Sept. 8th, 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nippletop Mountain (The other one) Sept. 8th, 2018

I'm beginning to discover some real gems tucked away in the Dix Mountain Wilderness. The adventure to this (other) Nippletop begins just off RT 9, about 6 miles south of I-87. No trailhead, access is via a private road (Walker Lane I believe). Very easy to get confused here, lot of jeep trails but thanks to forum members (hello TCD) I made it to the Schroon River where I found a spot to park. 7:00am. Donned my water sandals and forded the river, about mid-shin deep and cool, just like the temp, almost a fall hike. Takes about 30 secs. Put on hiking boots, and weaved my way through a maze of jeep trails until I found the culvert that goes under the 87.

The herdpath that parallels Walker Brook for about a mile is a delight. The forest is beautiful; quite wide open with tall mature pine, spruce, some maple, and hemlock. The water level was down to a trickle. I crossed over to the left bank soon after leaving the culvert. The trail climbs steadily for about a mile. The brook, with its large boulders of varying sizes, is quite picturesque. At about 510 meters elevation, the path peters out. I set a bearing of 247 magnetic. The climb becomes a bushwack, a little steeper nothing too difficult to negotiate. Some impressive blowdowns were easily avoided. At 650 elly I dialed in 199 mag. to a small rocky clearing at 757 meters elly. All around there were small ledges and boulders sprinkled about, quite thick as well. Now I'm on the NE slope of Nippletop, which is part of the ridge that leads to summit no.1 at 895 meters elly. The summit cone was surrounded like a fort with steep ledges and cliffs. Found some weakness and some friendly tree limbs to haul me up to the first of many viewing ledges, and wow the views!
    Lots of open rock mixed in with some tight bushes. Made my way to a massive bump of rock. Had to descend to to find a way up. I was rewarded with views that were fantastic as they were unique, a whole new perspective on the Dix Range that few people get to see. Blue skies to boot. I could see the true summit a short distance away. I descended to the col, and climbed through some very thick woods to come up, again, to several steep ledges and bush. The true summit (at 918 meters) is large, flat with spectacular views all around. And I had it all to myself. I could all the rocky outcroppings of the 1st summit, not to mention a perfect view of Niagara (my next trip) Grace, Wyman, the Beckhorn et al. I lingered for some lunch, and basically retraced my route. The descent was pretty quick, but I still took my time when I reached Walker Br. The cool waters of the Schroon river felt oh so good on my tender feet. About 10 kms for the round trip.

great foray into some very nice territory. Interesting how it has double summit just like it's bigger sibling.
    Favorite way to do Niagara is from Camel hump along the long narrow connecting ridge.

Comment

• DennisK
      DennisK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MG.The ridge up to Niagara is an approach I'd like to try.

I have always wanted to do the Camel Hump, I hear that's a cool summit

Comment

• DennisK
      DennisK commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the idea of doing both Camels from Walker Br.,then following the ridge from Hump all the way to Niagara's summit. From then climb the eastern bump, then follow that ridge back to Walker Br. Lots of possibilities.

Picture set from December 2010.
    http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor...ump/index.html

Comment

• DennisK
      DennisK commented
      Editing a comment
      Great pics. I like the waterfall.
Working...
X