Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADK unsupported traverse 46 peaks

On Friday August 24th I completed the “
    Ed Bunk Route” in 7days 8hours and 13minutes. I’d like to thank Cory D and Jan Wellford for completing and writing about there own traverse. It was truly inspirational expecially the parts about Ed Bunk and Cory’s grandfather. I encourage everyone to read his post from 9-25-2009.
    I Also would like to thank a few people who turned me on to running and the outdoors.
    Tom Simpson, Jeff Bradley and Tom Leimier.
    I Also want to thank some people who directly motivated me to undertake and complete this goal. Steve Miles, Lisa Schouten, Sara Schouten,Alex Barth and Andy Latanashen.
    It was honestly one of the greatest experiences in my life. Not everything went my way but in the end I finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!! Congratulations on a monumental achievement. You are the first, and will probably the last, new forum member whose first post is about a speed round of the 46.

Now... we want more details!!! Would love to read a trip report or get a link to a blog or whatever. You've whet our appetites with this post so now we want to hear about this amazing journey.
    Last edited by Makwa; 09-08-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Is that brook on Marshall?

Comment

Well congratulations.

Can you tell us why you choose to do the ADK 46ers and this route in particular?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by 2505
          Is that brook on Marshall?
          Yes, it is on Marshall one of my favorite climbs. So much green and life.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Marshall has been know for being very green. Lots of moss.
            Don

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps
          Well congratulations.

Can you tell us why you choose to do the ADK 46ers and this route in particular?

Don

Comment

Congratulations! A very impressive display of endurance and athleticism!

I hope you can share details of your record-breaking journey. Undoubtedly things went right and wrong and we'd all love to hear them.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum!
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by ianschouten

Cory D Wrote about Ed Bunk coming up with this route. It makes logistical sense since you get the hard peaks done early and don’t have to summit a peak with your full backpack until day 5.
              1st day Sewards and Santanoni’s
              Camp at base of Santanoni’s
              2nd day is Allen and Marshall
              Camp at Up hill leanto
              3rd day is LOJ loop
              Camp at up hill leanto
              4th day Grey , Redfield , Cliff and Skylight
              Camp at feldspar leanto
              5th day is Great Range and BlakeColven
              Camp at Elk Pass
              6th day Dial Nippletop and Dix range
              Camp at base of Giant
              7th day RR, Giant, Big slide Porter and cascade
              Camp at Cascade close to rt 73
              8th day white face and Ester

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps
                Well congratulations.

Don
                I put your answer in the wrong location!! But it’s in this topic. (I’m new at this stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss
                  Congratulations! A very impressive display of endurance and athleticism!

I hope you can share details of your record-breaking journey. Undoubtedly things went right and wrong and we'd all love to hear them.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum!
                  I’ll try to write something down in the next week or two. Thank you for your interest.
                  I love those mountains and feel alive when dealing with whatever they offer.

Comment

I was away for a couple days.

I had checked the 46r roster. Because I didn't see your name that's why I thought to ask why you chose the ADK 46.

Don

Comment

Outstanding feat! I too would love to read all about the planning and execution. Did you lose much weight during the hike? Run into any issues (blisters, injuries, nausea, lack of sleep)?

Comment

Congratulations Ian! I believe I talked briefly to you after Cat's Tail Marathon last year, but I didn't realize at the time that you were the familiar/famous name Ian Schouten. This accomplishment adds, in a different way, to plenty of trail run accomplishments such as wins at Wakely Dam, Laurel Highlands twice, HAT run twice, and getting close a couple of times anyway to an under 3 hour Escarpment. Results are hard to find pre-1999 for Escarpment, so not sure if you might have broken 3 hours. Nice run at Cayuga 50 mile this year, too!
                        I might be kidding...

Comment

Nice job! You look fresher in your photo than I do after a single day hike lol.

Comment

Amazing!

And for an old guy, too. Inspiration. If you get a chance to write it up, I'd read it.
                            ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 262/552
                            Photos & Stuff

Comment

Working...
                            X