9/4 Cat & Thomas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/4 Cat & Thomas

Once again, feeling like a caged animal, I had to get out of the 'burbs today. I didn't have enough time to hit anything to far away, so I decided on Cat and Thomas. Nothing real exciting with this short trip. Just a quick in and out of the woods working up a good sweat. Trails are easy. No mud, no snakes. Lots of spider webs in the face. I did notice a few spots where there was red slime on smooth rocks. I wonder if it's the same stuff found on Allen. Anyone know?

Signed in at 6:30am and reached Thomas via the yellow trail at 6:50. Nice view of Lake George. Had the peak to myself and stayed for about 10 minutes.
    Reached Cat at 8am with somewhat better views. Again, had the peak to myself and stayed for about 10 minutes. Followed the blue trail down.
    Signed out at 9:15

I did see a sign on the yellow trail giving a distance to a cabin. But I thought I remember reading something earlier this year about it being taken down because it was in disrepair and being vandalized. Unless I'm thinking about something else in the LG forest. Anyway, I didn't see a cabin or remnants of one, but really didn't search for it.

pics to follow.
    19/46
    11/12

19/46
    11/12

Comment

19/46
      11/12

Comment

19/46
        11/12

Comment

19/46
          11/12

Comment

Yeah, the cabin is totally gone from the pics i saw in another TR.

Nice report!

Comment

Cat and Thomas Preserve is a great place. I went there a few years back for the same reason you mentioned and it scratched the itch nicely.

Comment

Cat & Thomas is a nice hike. Cat is among my favorite views on Lake George. The 180* panorama from up there is excellent.

I've been there three times. Covered every trail on the map... which is why I'm responding. After reading your description of the yellow trail I couldn't figure out where you were as I remember the trail to the cabin being marked a different color and the yellow trail going in a totally different direction. So I looked at the map that the Lake George Land Conservancy (LGLC) provides on their website ( http://www.lglc.org/wp-content/uploa...EC_2018-01.pdf ) and sure enough it appears the entire trail system has been remarked with DEC markers and the old color coding system of the trails has changed from the map I have which is now over two or three years old.

The site of the cabin (removed about a year ago), now an overlook, is not the true summit... that high point is ~100 feet higher and a half mile north of the cabin via the the old Two Brothers Trail which has been closed and removed from the map. When I was last there in September of 2016 I ascended via this trail and only discovered later that the trail had been closed even though no signage whatsoever describing the closure had been posted. At the time the LGLC said it was closed per DEC request and that they hoped the trail would be reopened in the future. We're now two years removed from that and evidently it has not been. The views are better from the cabin site but if you're a stickler for tagging a summit then the old trail was better. I still don't know why the trail was closed but it is gone. See this trip report from 2016 for a pic of the cabin if you are interested. FWIW... at the time I was there it was is great shape and not vandalized in any manner. http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...-fever-9-11-16

Comment

• salt
                  salt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I concur regarding the cabin. I was lucky enough to be there 3 times within the last year or so when the cabin was intact. Aside from many many carvings of names and dates etc it seemed in fine condition. People would leave non perishable items in it as well for the next person. Last time I went we spent the entire day at that cabin and had a bbq. It was awesome. Always wanted to camp in it but alas didnt make it in time.

• tumbleweed
                  tumbleweed commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your pics aren't there anymore, but I've seen pics elsewhere and heard great things about the cabin from my boss. When he suggested this hike earlier this year, he told me about the cabin and showed me a few pics. He didn't believe me after I researched the trail and told him the cabin was taken down, but now the proof is in the pudding.

I was there one time. The cabin was there. Sorry it was removed.

Don

Comment

Working...
                X