Clear All

• Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong -- December 21, 2016

WINTER IS FINALLY HERE

Time to get my rocker.

Trail notes:
    • Snowshoes, optional on Lake Road
    • Weld to Sawteeth is wonderful, firm (but not too firm) snow, supportive
    • Up to Pyramid is also good
    • Between Pyramid and Gothics is waist-deep loose powdery snow, climbing was a bear
    • Gothics is wind-swept free of snow, but with a layer of ice on everything
    • Pyramid had some harder snow (less ideal for snowshoes) but whatever, it's an easy side trip
    • Descent to Beaver Meadow Falls was nice, unfortunately the three bare-booters I ran into probably messed it up after me

Pics and stuff in the link. Now at 42/46W
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
    Photos & Stuff

How was the wind? The forecast for sort of strong winds turned me off of any high peaks, so I did Indian Head today. It was pretty windy on that ledge far below you.

On the way in to Indian Head I put snowshoes on just past Gill Brook. On the way back, I took them off around the trail to Dial.
    46/46 12/46W

Comment

Originally posted by NickWI View Post
      How was the wind? The forecast for sort of strong winds turned me off of any high peaks, so I did Indian Head today. It was pretty windy on that ledge far below you.

On the way in to Indian Head I put snowshoes on just past Gill Brook. On the way back, I took them off around the trail to Dial.

Windy! Probably 30mph? Certainly not the worst I've experienced, and it was less than the last time I did these three in October.

It was warm all day though. In the 20s most of the time, it was 18F on Gothics. (Not too bad.)
      ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 271/552
      Photos & Stuff

Comment

Hi, thanks for the trip report link. Iím heading up this week to do some winter hikes. I was thinking of this route. Does the weld trail head WSW from Lake road and then up 1.7 mi following cascade brook WNW? Iím using the ADK Mountain Club High Peaks map.

Thanks a lot

Comment

• autochromatica
          autochromatica commented
          Editing a comment
          It's trail 35 on that map. It runs roughly W from the Lower Ausable Lake. It's pretty easy to get to, you take Lake Road to the end, cross the lake, and then there are good signs at the junction.

It's 1.7 miles to the spur trail to Sawteeth (0.5 mile each way from there) and then another 1 mile to Gothics. Note that when I was last on Sawteeth, there was no sign indicating you were at the summit, only a sign telling you the mileage back.

• jasper
          jasper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. I thought it must be that one, trail 36 seems unnecessarily long.

Originally posted by jasper View Post
        ... Does the weld trail head WSW from Lake road and then up ...
        ​Yes and you may wish to use Caltopo.com, specifically the "TF Outdoors" map: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.11...2383&z=17&b=oo

Starting last May (2016) I updated the High Peaks hiking trails in OpenStreetMap (OSM) using data collected from my 23 hikes in the High Peaks (since May 2016), other people's GPS tracks, and Strava's heatmap. About 95% of High Peaks hiking trails are included in OSM (with the notable exception being the trails to Cathedral Rocks, portions of the West River Trail, the Deer Brook trail to Hedgehog, and the parallel trails to Roostercomb). I also included notable viewpoints, trail-registers, major footbridges, lean-tos, privies, and designated campsites.

OSM maps are used to create other maps like "TF Outdoors" and many others. If you have a GPS app, one or more of its "Free Maps" is probably based on OSM. However, some features may be excluded in derivative maps. For example, TF Outdoors doesn't show lean-tos and viewpoints. Gaia GPS also offers a derivative of OSM (no lean-tos) and so does Suunto Movescount (curiously no lean-to's or campsites, just privies)

I documented my work here (my last update to OSM was in October): http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...ourced-mapping
        Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-02-2017, 03:18 PM.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

• jasper
          jasper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, great link. It will be handy this winter.

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
        ​Yes and you may wish to use Caltopo.com, specifically the "TF Outdoors" map: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.11...2383&z=17&b=oo

Starting last May (2016) I updated the High Peaks hiking trails in OpenStreetMap (OSM) using data collected from my 23 hikes in the High Peaks (since May 2016), other people's GPS tracks, and Strava's heatmap. About 95% of High Peaks hiking trails are included in OSM (with the notable exception being the trails to Cathedral Rocks, portions of the West River Trail, the Deer Brook trail to Hedgehog, and the parallel trails to Roostercomb). I also included notable viewpoints, trail-registers, major footbridges, lean-tos, privies, and designated campsites.

OSM maps are used to create other maps like "TF Outdoors" and many others. If you have a GPS app, one or more of its "Free Maps" is probably based on OSM. However, some features may be excluded in derivative maps. For example, TF Outdoors doesn't show lean-tos and viewpoints. Gaia GPS also offers a derivative of OSM (no lean-tos) and so does Suunto Movescount (curiously no lean-to's or campsites, just privies)

I documented my work here (my last update to OSM was in October): http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...ourced-mapping

Great stuff- disappointed the thunder box on the way to Allen is not on your map

Comment

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
          .. disappointed the thunder box on the way to Allen is not on your map ...
          Haha! I did record its position ... but I didn't bother to add it to OSM.

It's so darn close to the trail that it looks like it was abandoned there as opposed to installed. Allen Box Toilet: 44.07284, -73.97051

​It's location in What3Words is amusing: specified.pines.rewarded
          https://map.what3words.com/specified.pines.rewarded
          Looking for Views!

Comment

TrailBoss, awesome, I saw your other post a while back, took a look at OSM, and was quite impressed at your work!

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
            Great stuff- disappointed the thunder box on the way to Allen is not on your map
            Coincidently, I thought the exact same thing! That thunderbox was a surprise to me, but the timing was perfect!

Comment

Working...
            X