Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissionpoint
    commented on 's reply
    Makwa Assembly Point? I was thinking more like a tent behind Magic Forest.

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    Commissionpoint if the quarters of this conscripted mini-golf army are somewhere on Assembly Point I'm in.

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    There is a Rite Aid just down the street which was purchased by Walgreen's (along with 2000+ others) and features a Walgreen's pharmacy. Eventually all those stores will become Walgreen's. Strange, I know. But it has something to with the proposed merger of the two that regulators didn't like. Walgreen's instead bought half of Rite Aid's locations outright. I guess they will be rebranded at some point soon.

• Hear the Footsteps
    commented on 's reply
    I did a search. There's not a Walgreens in Lake George. One in Glens Falls. Seems to be a CVS nearby.
    Given that Drug Stores like to locate near competition maybe a possibility. I know it sucks but maybe.

• Commissionpoint
    commented on 's reply
    Makwa You had better hope that it's NOT mini-golf, soft-serve, or another junk shop because it will be your fault. At which point I will have no choice but to kidnap you and conscript you to selling mini-golf for the rest of your natural life.

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    hehe. Climbing numbers were assigned that day. I took #1 since it was my idea and I because I selfishly hiked ahead the last tenth of a mile to beat my buddy to the final summit. And while I did not design a custom patch I did find some old HoJo uniform patches on eBay for a few bucks each that I presented to us both to at least add some legitimacy to the whole endeavor. It's not a challenge without a patch, right?

• dundee
    replied
    So when does the patch and climbing number come out???

Leave a comment:

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    Those are all motels. All of the original free-standing HoJo restaurants are gone except for the Lake George location. Read the history of the company here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s

But if there are any restaurants or diners within or attached to those motels they weren't built as HoJo restaurants. As per the link above, "Under Cendant/Wyndham, the (motel) chain became a parking place for franchise conversions, which were existing independent motels which had been renovated and added to the chain in order to provide them with access to a nationally recognised name and central reservation infrastructure. As these properties were not originally constructed as Howard Johnson sites, they lacked the distinctive architecture and some had no restaurant at all."

Wyndham would not list one in Lake Placid as I don't believe they currently have a motel up there. The location in LP closed in 2015 was one of the free-standing restaurants. https://pix11.com/2015/03/31/lake-pl...o-restaurants/

And the gimmick of the hike was to start at the last HoJo which was in Lake George. After the Lake Placid location closed in 2015 it was no longer an option to start our May 2016 hike there.

As for the Bangor Maine location... that one was a restaurant that stood next to one of the HoJo motels. No orange roof or traditional HoJo architecture. That closed a few months after the Lake George location. At the time of this hike I was under the impression it has already closed but from what I now understand it closed just after Labor Day 2016. But, the Lake George location had long advertised itself as the last location, presumably for being the last free-standing building with the orange roof.

• TFR
    replied
    I'm confused. There are Hojos all over the place, according to

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo

Google says there are over 300!

The Wyndham web pages says there are 3 along the Thruway corridor, in Newburgh, Saugerties, and Albany.

And it does not find one near Lake Placid.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I LOVE IT... fond memories of stopping at the HoJo's in the Catskills on the way to the ADK when I was a young buck. We'd make the waitress recite the ice cream flavors...bratty kids... The fried clams were the heart-stopping delicacy of choice.

Leave a comment:

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    I'm hoping for a mini golf course, soft serve ice cream place, gift shop, pizza joint, gas station, or bar. LG doesn't have nearly enough of any of these. But I wouldn't be upset if your REI/Moosejaw kinda place opens up.

• Commissionpoint
    commented on 's reply
    Water park across the street is for sale as well. Both parcels have significant potential, just not in their current incarnations.

I think with all the recent trail promotion/development in the area that the HoJo location is prime for a Moosejaw or an REI type retail establishment.

I'm more than happy to see both of those parcels get redeveloped into more modern amenities.

• Hear the Footsteps
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I was going to mention about the owners issues but decided not to because it would take more looking . Like you did.

Lately, I've been leaving the Northway at Exit 20 and returning from Exit 21.

Hey, Business Opportunity !!

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info. For all the times I've been to Lake George hiking since January I hadn't driven through town at all and hadn't been to the HOJO since I wrote this nearly three years ago. There was one story about the place around 18 months ago that was a bit disturbing...
    https://www.timesunion.com/7dayarchi...l-12271519.php

Perhaps these legal troubles have something to do with the sale of the property. It's a thin lot there. 2.73 acres according to the Warren County Parcel Viewer. Appears that it's the frontage you see on the road and it goes back just 200 feet.

• Hear the Footsteps
    replied
    Picked a copy of the April Saratoga Business Journal today at my bank ATM. There's an ad in it for the sale of the Lake George HOJOs. Asking price is $1.15 million.

I've driven past the HOJOs a couple times in the last month after climbing Buck, like I did today. Not sure if it's still open. If I'd seen the ad before I would have checked today if it is still open.

Not sure how much property is there. Wondering if when it's sold whether it will demolished to make room for something new or even renovation and reopening to a current brand.

Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X