X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm confused. There are Hojos all over the place, according to

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo

Google says there are over 300!

The Wyndham web pages says there are 3 along the Thruway corridor, in Newburgh, Saugerties, and Albany.

And it does not find one near Lake Placid.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are all motels. All of the original free-standing HoJo restaurants are gone except for the Lake George location. Read the history of the company here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s

But if there are any restaurants or diners within or attached to those motels they weren't built as HoJo restaurants. As per the link above, "Under Cendant/Wyndham, the (motel) chain became a parking place for franchise conversions, which were existing independent motels which had been renovated and added to the chain in order to provide them with access to a nationally recognised name and central reservation infrastructure. As these properties were not originally constructed as Howard Johnson sites, they lacked the distinctive architecture and some had no restaurant at all."

Wyndham would not list one in Lake Placid as I don't believe they currently have a motel up there. The location in LP closed in 2015 was one of the free-standing restaurants. https://pix11.com/2015/03/31/lake-pl...o-restaurants/

And the gimmick of the hike was to start at the last HoJo which was in Lake George. After the Lake Placid location closed in 2015 it was no longer an option to start our May 2016 hike there.

As for the Bangor Maine location... that one was a restaurant that stood next to one of the HoJo motels. No orange roof or traditional HoJo architecture. That closed a few months after the Lake George location. At the time of this hike I was under the impression it has already closed but from what I now understand it closed just after Labor Day 2016. But, the Lake George location had long advertised itself as the last location, presumably for being the last free-standing building with the orange roof.

So when does the patch and climbing number come out???

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      hehe. Climbing numbers were assigned that day. I took #1 since it was my idea and I because I selfishly hiked ahead the last tenth of a mile to beat my buddy to the final summit. And while I did not design a custom patch I did find some old HoJo uniform patches on eBay for a few bucks each that I presented to us both to at least add some legitimacy to the whole endeavor. It's not a challenge without a patch, right?
Working...
X