No announcement yet.

Santanoni, via the Twin Slide (6/19/07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santanoni, via the Twin Slide (6/19/07)

I really didn’t have designs in heading back into the Santanoni’s anytime in the very near future. Not that I don’t enjoy em’, but with so many other fish to fry, they just were not a real high priority for me. The new OSI land purchase kinda changed all that for me. Neil PM’ed me early on and asked me if I had interest in the previously inaccessible (without trespassing) Santanoni Twin Slides, I immediately jumped at the chance. After some careful route study and some strategizing, we settled on a route and the 19th as our hike day.

Arriving in the lot real early, I got a few hours rest and was up ready to go when Neil pulled in just before 0630 hrs. A third in our party (Hillman), had work trouble and could not make it. We were out and walking within a few minutes and were just chatting away mindlessly and before we knew it we had left the road (in :28) and were headed up the trail to Bradley Pond. It was already pretty hot and humid, but the forest felt nice and within another 1/2 hour we’d reached the property line and were ready to jump into the woods for the roughly 1.5 mile bushwhack over to the slide base.

I’d done a little Google earth/satellite work and we’d selected a nice zigzagging route that was perhaps a little longer than a more direct route would be, but one we felt would keep us in hardwoods the whole way. For the most part we were dead on and it was a great little route. We ran into a few old tote roads that came in handy but with such easy travel, they were hardly needed. We covered the 1.5 miles in just about and hour and found ourselves standing in the rock strewn brook that represents the base of the slide by 8:30.

The next 2 hours was pure slide climbing paradise. The slide itself was not incredibly clean as slides go, but what it lacked in physical characteristics, it was more than made up for by the remote and wild nature that a practically untraveled slide will bring. As we climbed, the view E&S just continued to improve. The view was mostly over to the Allen, Cheney Cobble and the N. River Range. It was a nice stroll, albeit quite hot. The day was heating up nice and we were scorched out on the rocks. Every now and again, the whisper of a breeze blew in and made it somewhat bearable.

This slide itself is quite long. It rises almost 1700 feet and changes complexity several times, from rubble, to slab rock, to steep rock walls. Pretty much a bit of everything. A pretty little brook cascades down the middle for quite a good portion of route. There are many off-shoot slide and splits so close attention needs to be paid to select the correct slide track. Several steep sections and nifty rock wall to negotiate near the top kinda tops things off. Once at the top of the slide, it was time to pay the piper for our relatively easy day thusfar. It was only .2 miles (~500 vertical feet) up to the summit, but all would be brutally thick.

We opted for straight up to the ridge and then push right along the ridge. The up was very steep, but we found a few nice seams that gave up passage through the dense thickets. Once we hit the ridge, no more seams, we were completely enveloped in dense, narley spruce thickets that had to be pushed through. It was pure torture in the heat of the day. Luckily, it was only about .1 miles, and we finnaly pushed through and found ourselves on the summit. A scant 4:45 after leaving the TH.

We choose to take the new/old route down and using Rik’s description, we found the top of the route after just a bit of exploring. The path itself was quite delightful and easy to follow. Someone’s been doing work here. I did enjoy the route, but I have to say, not being an expert, I have to wonder how much traffic it could sustain without turning to a nightmare. The walk out was quite uneventful and we were back at the cars at the 7:40 mark in our hike. All-in-all a very satisfying hike and we were quite pleased in the knowledge that we were probably the first (general non-club hikers) to have legally hiked that slide route in MANY years.

A view of distant Allen, Cheney & the N. Rivers, about 1/2 way up.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Nice report! It's about time we heard something from you Tim
    OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
    Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

It was a most interesting experience being on the slide after viewing aerial photos. In a way it reminded me of the Colden SE slide in that the lower half was more like a creek walk than an actual slide climb. Then the upper part was more bare rock, not as wide or as steep or as spectacular though. It is growing in quickly.

It was tricky staying on our desired path of ascent on this braided slide.

The heat really took its toll on me once we hit the bushwhack. Like Tim says it was pretty easy to hit the ridge and even the first 100 meters towards the summit were fairly open And then WHAM! Those last 200 meters were very, very thick and gnarly. I could barely drink fast enough to replace the sweat that ran freely down my face and everywhere else.

Incidentally, the bugs weren't too bad. We were very happy not to have to go over to Times Square and down Panther Brook. I do believe this qualifies as a bushwhack ascent of Santanoni. My 2nd in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by 1ADAM12 View Post
        Nice report! It's about time we heard something from you Tim
        I often don't write them anymore. I felt this was a special occasion

Here's a few -PHOTOS- . Neil should have a few too.

{be sure to click the Santanoni Album link to the left.}
        Last edited by Mavs00; 06-20-2007, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
          Someone’s been doing work here.
          Do we know anything about this work? I worry that this area has been opened up and somebody's decided it's a good opportunity to do some unlicensed trail maintenance.
          46/46, 12/48, 58/115
          46-R #6866

Comment

Do I know anything about it? Not really. Yesterday was my first time ever being on it the trail ever. I only knew of it from historical perspective before that last couple weeks. There was some fresh cuts and all, but I gotta tell ya, this path has been there for ages and it quite obvious. Trail-wise, it reminded me of the section between Mac-Moose and Nun-da-ga-o. It's there, but faint enough to make you have to pay attention. It's not like there were many spots where work was even needed.

Steep too, this may be a shorter route, but its direct enough make for some serious uphill work for it's length

Comment

"There are many off-shoot slide and splits so close attention needs to be paid to select the correct slide track. Several steep sections and nifty rock wall to negotiate near the top kinda tops things off. Once at the top of the slide, it was time to pay the piper for our relatively easy day thusfar. It was only .2 miles (~500 vertical feet) up to the summit, but all would be brutally thick."

Looking at Neil's map from the previous thread on the Twin Slide it shows a distinct split in the slide (hence the name "twin" I would imagine). Is it possible you guys took the left one and the right one would have taken you closer to the summit?
              Last edited by Prino; 06-20-2007, 10:42 AM. Reason: trouble editing quote!
              Map and compass man!

Comment

Originally posted by Prino View Post
                Looking at Neil's map from the previous thread on the Twin Slide it shows a distinct split in the slide (hence the name "twin" I would imagine). Is it possible you guys took the left one and the right one would have taken you closer to the summit?
                I've scouted the top of that slide... they chose the right (correct) split.
                --- Resident terrorist-supporting eco-freak bootlicker

Comment

Do I know anything about it? Not really. Yesterday was my first time ever being on it the trail ever. I only knew of it from historical perspective before that last couple weeks. There was some fresh cuts and all, but I gotta tell ya, this path has been there for ages and it quite obvious. Trail-wise, it reminded me of the section between Mac-Moose and Nun-da-ga-o. It's there, but faint enough to make you have to pay attention. It's not like there were many spots where work was even needed.

Steep too, this may be a shorter route, but its direct enough make for some serious uphill work for it's length
                  Good stuff. Hopefully what work has been done has been legal. I had been planning to backpack in to Bradley Pond and climb the Santanonis in a weekend this September, but now I'm thinking I might use the "new-old" trail as a return route to get them all in one long day trip. And of course, with you and Neil talking it up, I might have to come back and hit the slide at some point, too. Thanks for the great report!
                  46/46, 12/48, 58/115
                  46-R #6866

Comment

Originally posted by WalksWithBlackflies View Post
                    I've scouted the top of that slide... they chose the right (correct) split.
                    I presume that means the right (as opposed to left) split?
                    Map and compass man!

Comment

Yes, we went right

Comment

Yes, we went right
                        Or left, if viewing from the top down, right?
                        --- Resident terrorist-supporting eco-freak bootlicker

Comment

LOL or middle if you count that thin ribbon to the right, errr, I mean left.

Comment

Nice, very nice.
                            Walk Softly

Comment

The (ahem) more southerly of the two principle branches gains more elevation but leaves you further from the summit.

Comment

Working...
                              X