Sun block on Knob Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun block on Knob Lock

Today Charlene and I took advantage of the fantastic weather to do a hike I've been wanting to do for quite some time. What a great day we had. Dali the dog came too and did well as always. We took the Giant North Trail for about a mile to Slide brook and then followed that for a while sometimes rock hopping and sometimes walking through open woods. We found the little hermit/hunters shack. Checked it out a bit. A few pots and pans outside as well as a shovel. The structure itself is maybe six feet tall and probably 12 x 10? It is built against a large rock and made of small logs. It was sealed up pretty good with black plastic. We followed the stream up a little futher and then headed north into the woods and up a small bump on the ridge that runs generally east from Knob Lock. From there we got some good views of our destination as well as the massive Green Mt. We skirted cliffs several times along the way without much hassle. We spent close to two hours on the open summit by ourselves eating, napping, and lounging in the sun. The views of Green, Tripod, and Hurricane surround you and then further out are the High Peaks, Sentinels, Whiteface, Jay Range, Lake Champlain, Vermont... It is amazing no one ever cut a trail to this summit. We joked about how many cars were parked at the Giant trailhead when we had a summit to ourselves. This one is a gem. On the way down we followed the ridge towards the east and came out on the North trail about a half mile from the car and a tenth or two of a mile from the private property line. It tooks us less than half the time to get down as it did going up. Time to go put some aloe on my suntan!
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

I see you took the easy route. I love that summit.
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
    Cheers
    Spence

Comment

Originally posted by peak_bgr
      I see you took the easy route. I love that summit.
      I took the "wife is with me route" . Otherwise I would have been out with you and the wandering flute player.
      This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Send me the route info. It'd actually be refreshing to take the "easy" way in on one of these mountains. I really would love to get that hike in this year. Perhaps in the fall.
        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Good trip report and really good subject line!
          Knob Lock looks very intriguing, spent some time on Owl Head gawking at it and Green a few weeks back.
          Just great; yet another spot on the never-ending list of places to go.

Next to get crossed off of that list tho has GOT to be the trip from Elk L. over the Pinnacle and onto Blake & Colvin with a finish at the Ausable Club. That one has been in my sights for a long time. The problem is the car spotting - Elk Lake just isn't very handy. Eventually.
          Walk Softly

Comment

Working...
          X