Little Santaraini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Santaraini

Yup, we got wet! But not before we enjoyed a leisurely horse drawn wagon ride most of the way in to Moose Pond. Horses couldn't make it all the way so we were on foot from there and for the rest of the day as the horses weren't coming back in for us. Thanks to those who arranged the wagon ride. ( You know who you are!) It made the day much more manageable. We still had a long walk. The deer flies were kinda nasty but the rain would take care of them later in the day. We walked in past Ermine Brook and then left the trail towards our peak. The first 500 feet were hot and muggy but the rain would take care of that as well. It rained the rest of the day. The company was fantastic. Six of us in all. Everyone remained in great spirits in spite of the weather. We didn't stop for very long at any point during the day and we would have taken some pictures but the rain took care of that too. On our way out Ermine Brook was much deeper and the rock hop on the way in was a shallow wade on the way out. The walk out was quicker and more tolerable than I expected it to be mostly because of the conversations about past and future trips. I'm sure others who were there will chime in with their version of this adventure tale unless of course the rain took care of them too! :shock:
    This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Sounds like the type of hike that when you read about it you go,"Man, am I ever glad I wasn't on that one" but if you are on the hike you have a great time and come away with fond memories. Now try and imagine doing the exact same hike solo.

Comment

Now try and imagine doing the exact same hike solo.
      We actually talked about this and agreed that without the excellent company this hike would not have been the fun time it was.
      This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
        Now try and imagine doing the exact same hike solo.
        We actually talked about this and agreed that without the excellent company this hike would not have been the fun time it was.
        Agreed, with vigor. Solo, this would have been a death march. Had it been just me and Nick, child abuse charges could have been justified :shock: . Together, with this great group, it actually was pretty fun. Ditto the horses, the brough us probably just under 5 miles or so (out of about 20 for the day). It may not sound like much, but without them, this hike would have sucked "real bad" in wet boots.

The 3-3.5 miles bushwhacking portion was amazingly easy. Open, all the way. Thanks alot.

Gotta run, the sun is shinning and I'm hiking Noonmark in a few minutes.
        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

it really was a great bushwack, real easy and the views were wonderful!
          have to do it again, not for awhile though. too many others to climb that don't have an eight mile road. even though the walk out didn't take that long at all. hope the next eight mts. are just as open. maybe some nicer weather though.
          bushwacker
          www.adkbushwacks.com

Comment

Working...
          X