Moose & McKenzie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose & McKenzie

So today my hiking partner Bob and I went up these gems. Mavs Said to go up via McKenzie and come down via Moose. This advice because of the confusion of where the trail system begins. Niel made the discovery that these trails are confusing as illustrated by his in depth report, thus confirming Mavs is correct.

With all of that Bob and I decided that we would do it the other way in spite of Mavs and Niel. Guess what those guys are 100 % correct. We could not find the start of the trail without crashing over private property something we will not do. There was a crew from a landscaping company working in the yard of the first house. We asked them if they knew where the trail was. It was like we were speaking an unknown language. They had no clue what we were talking about.

I told bob that Mavs and Niel said those trails were well hidden and we may as well go back to the McKenzie trail and go that way. Bob and I were removing our packs to drive back to determine where the McKenzie trail began, we did not notice it on our way into the parking lot on Chipmonk Lane. As I said we were about to toss our packs into the car when this elderly gentleman came out of his house and saw us. He asked what we were doing.

The guy said "not only do I know where the trail begins but the sign is in my front yard Come with me." He walked us to his house and down the side to the lake. There on his front lawn was the sign. The sign referred in Goodwin's guide He told us the trail went along the edge of the lawns and was covered with ground saw dust and just follow it there are trail markers all the way. He asked where the trails went because he has never been able to walk much beyond the last camp. We told him and went on our way.

We had no difficulty following the route once it was pointed out and went up Two Brooks Trail avoiding the Lock Bonnie side trail, Thanks Niel we did not need the extra climbing. Once following the ridge over to McKenzie we descended via the Barlett trail to its junction with the Two Brooks and then back to the Lake Trail and the parking lot.

The elderly gentleman was waiting as we crossed his lawn and was excited to see the views from the summits on Bob's digital camera. Me I brought my new digital camcorder so I did not get any stills. I'll steal some of Bob's later. We could have stayed on the porch and had drinks with the guy, he offered, but we declined figuring we had already benefited greatly from this fellow's generosity.

I read Mav's and Niel's comments on VFTT just moments ago about the magazine article and do have some concerns. One, as we passed very close to docks and boat houses we noticed all of these were wide open. Any incident is likely to shut this access real quick. So the article has the potential to engender increased traffic which may not be good. Second, Bob and I were a novelty for this elderly gentleman who said he had not seen anyone use the trail. This may in part be why he was so helpful as if there were crowds gathering on his lawn I suspect his reaction would have been different. Third, the Two Brooks Trail is very steep in sections especially the last half mile. It is highly susceptable to erosion caused by heavy traffic. At present it is a beautiful trail but its design leads me to believe it won't do well under heavy use.

I truly hope that travellers here are extra careful to respect the generosity extended to the hiking public because this is a fragile link at best.

Very nice report. Another reason to do McKenzie first would be then at least by the time you get down to the lake no one can stop you from hiking the peaks you just hiked!
    I was carefully following the plentiful trail markers along the lake as I exited when all of a sudden I realized I was off the trail. A thunder storm had rolled in and I probably missed one single turn that wasn't all that well indicated.

Comment

Great report, Actually it was Alan (Peak_bagr) that hipped me to going this way. The primary reason for going this way, it that, it is WAY MORE OBVIOUS heading back to the parking spot (McKenzie start) from the Two Brooks side than it is the other way.

If the confusion is less, there will hopefully be less "strolling about" on peoples lawn, which will lead to inevitable problems with property owners there. What they need is for the Shore Owners Assoc. to lay out the trail better in that section.

It great up top though, Ain't it?
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00
        Great report, Actually it was Alan (Peak_bagr) that hipped me to going this way. The primary reason for going this way, it that, it is WAY MORE OBVIOUS heading back to the parking spot (McKenzie start) from the Two Brooks side than it is the other way.

If the confusion is less, there will hopefully be less "strolling about" on peoples lawn, which will lead to inevitable problems with property owners there. What they need is for the Shore Owners Assoc. to lay out the trail better in that section.

It great up top though, Ain't it?
        Yes it great up there I forgot on the way out there was a great view of several bikinis on one of the porches overlooking the lake.

Comment

Working...
        X