Fishing Brook Mountain from the North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Brook Mountain from the North

We decided late that this would be a better hike in the wet weather. A 2.5 mile walk along a road and a 1.5 mile bushwhack. First of all the deer flies were the worst we have seen yet, not only were they swarming in packs of fifty but they were biting, and 100% deet just pissed them off.

We started along the private road located near the parking area between Long Lake and newcomb. Our hopes we to run into a member of the fish and game club so we could get information on becoming a member of the club, our second hope was to top off on Fishing Brook Mountain. We managed to do both.

About a 1/2 mile up the road we ran into a gentleman clearing the road and struck up a conversation. We asked him about becoming a member, how much it costs, who do we contact, etc.. He was very helpfull and gave us all the information we needed to become a member and make the northern approach of the Fishing Brook Range a legal hike. Then we poped the question.

Can we walk around the property while were in here to check it out and see if we would be interested in a membership. Well he broke out a map of the property and said "sure, you can be my quests". I won't mention his name for obvious reasons, but we couldn't of run into a nicer person.

So we continued along the road to a split, we went right and then shortly a left to an old, fairly large building. In the clearing there is an old woods road on the left, we followed this to another large clearing. In this clearing we ate a few raspberries and chose to take the woods road straiht ahead, it got us where we were going but our route down was much better. So, that's what I'm going to explain. Our route down returned us to this clearing but to a woods road to the back left of the clearing. it's hard to see as the tree branches poored down over the enterance.

Follow this road, up hill and to the left if you come to an interesection, you should always stay on the main road, which is pretty obvious. Follow this road to what looks like it's end or at least to the height of land. From here start a bushwhack up the shoulder of the peak. At this point your under a kile from the summit. The woods from here are open hardwoods with a mixture of witch hobble on fern growth, very open. I wore shorts and my legs were barely touched. the only tight spots were near the summit crown which is circled by a small cliff that can easily be climbed in a couple spots or skirted. the summit was, well crap. very wooded, thick wooded. In fact it was difficult to find the true summit. I know we were on it, because we circled the entire top and stepped on every small rise there. If we took pictures on the true summit, I'm pretty sure we did. The GPS led us right to this spot, and we're 99.9% sure it was the top. Hardly no sign of man what so ever, just one small stomped area and footpath.

Our route up was a maze of woods roads, and few thicker spots along the way. Follow our route up and you will have a nice easy trip. Almost quaranteed.

We were on top at 11am, we started at 8:15am and talked to the member for at least 15 minutes. We back to the car at 2pm, after almost forty five minutes on the top.

From the looks of the ridge near the top, to do all three Fishing brook Range peaks in a day would be a battle. Good idea to do this one seperatly from the North and the other two from the South.
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
    Cheers
    Spence

You guys are doing way too much hiking. Didn't anyone tell you it was bad for your knees?
    Now, listen to a wise old man and stay home by the fire, eat tofu sandwhiches and read aloud select passages from the bible.

Comment

Hmmmm, I had no idea you were going.............

I hope your willing to go back in there later, we'd love to get this one the legal way as well. ...... perhaps, we could hope to run that nice gentlemen as well to assist us on our quest .

Glad to see you guys inching ever closer to a successful finish.
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Sounds great. Except for the deer flies that is. Wish I could have joined you but this job is really interferring with my life. :(
        This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

now all we need is 11 more mts. like this one, and we'll be done!
          hopefully dunbrook and the other fishing brook this saturday or sunday, then little santanoni next wednesday. the next month is gonna be busy, hope it cools down some
          bushwacker
          www.adkbushwacks.com

Comment

Tim, very last minute. We didn't leave anyone out, it just happened so fast.
            "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
            Cheers
            Spence

Comment

Not at all, didn't mean to imply that.......

:( I'm just jelous, I couldn't have gone anyway :(

You guys got the finish line is sight, GO FOR IT. You know I'm rooting for you and will be excited to watch you finish.
              "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Working...
              X