Going to see the Giant - It's all Nick's fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to see the Giant - It's all Nick's fault

After reading Nick's report on Giant, I had to go revisit that big fella today. Yeah, it is still steep, and rocky, but I had forgotten how many views are to be had along the way. Unfortunately, it got progressively hazier throughout the day. When we summited, The sky was black to the west and south, and all the mountains from Dix through the Wolfjaws looked like ghosts in the gathering gloom.

Plans to revisit Rocky were scrapped as a downpour hit us just after leaving the summit. The trip down Giant would be alternating sessions of heavy rain, and brief sunny periods, which left the air steamy. The rains slickened the rocks up enough to get our attention on the way down, but we were able to successfully negotiate the boulder fields and open rock with only a few bruises.

Question: We went around the bump, but how much time does going over the bump save and where does it rejoin the trail? I looked for an exit point, but never saw one going up or coming down (where it would be an entry point, I guess).

Nonetheless, another six hours (including summit time) on a pretty impressive mountain. After a five hour drive back to Victor, the old legs are feeling stiff, but happy.

Mike, I don't recall the 'bump' route as being any longer or shorter than the traditional trail. I think it just gives you a view from the top of the bump. Nothing spectacular, the same view you get lower down. The trail is only about 100 yds. long and there used to be a little sign at both ends. Perhaps someone swiped it.

The first HP I ever climbed was Giant in those same conditions. Couldn't see a thing, although it was obvious there was potential. No view and being wet aside, I was hooked.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Re: Going to see the Giant - It's all Nick's fault

Originally posted by Silverback
      Question: We went around the bump, but how much time does going over the bump save and where does it rejoin the trail?
      Actually, it's the other way around............. If I'm recalling "the Bumb" correctly. you'll save upwards of 35-45 minutes going around it............... But only on a nice day.

That's about the amount of time we stopped and enjoyed the view from up there, before heading out again.
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Working...
      X